PDA

View Full Version : Primoflex in the UK?

Bobly
07-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Hey guys,

Well I've pretty much got all the components for my future rig thought out, I'm really just missing a quote for the tubing so I set out to do that this morning... Except... Well...

I read through the tubing review, and seeing as I'm planning to use 3/8 tubing the Primochill Primoflex is by far the leading brand when it comes to kink resistance and it also comes in Blue UV Reactive tubing which makes it perfect for me... The thing is I can't seem to be able any UK based shop that sells it :/

Anyone have any ideas or will I have to have it shipped from the US?

Edit: ID 3/8, OD 5/8 btw

gojirasan
07-04-2008, 03:05 AM
If you are talking about the old style primoflex it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Very little stock is left anywhere. I think the manufacturer still stocks it in clear and red though. I suspect you will have to have it shipped from the US, but I'm not sure anyone still has any blue 3/8 x 5/8 stock. The new LRT version has the advantage of an antimicrobial coating but it is not nearly as soft and flexible. The new stuff feels more like tygon 3603. I think it will exert more side pressure on the blocks than the old primoflex due to its increased stiffness, but the kink resistance seems just as good as the old stuff. And of course that stickiness that attracts dust and makes it difficult to slide over plastic fittings is gone. Unlike the old stuff, the LRT version also cannot stretch over 1/2" fittings without being heated, a capability that I think was unique (among water cooling tubing) to the old primoflex (although I wonder if it is also possible with Norprene).

Bobly
07-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Ah well I'm going to assume the Tubing Review - 18 Types of Tubing Reviewed (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157370) thread is out of date then because that's what I'm basing my results on :/

Basically I'm aiming to have my whole loop using 3/8 barbs and tubing, for which the primoflex excelled at and is praised only by reviewers for it's ability to bend without kinking.

Can anyone maybe suggest the current leader in terms of 3/8 tubing which is available in UV Reactive Blue? Ideally I'd prefer the tubing to be transparent blue and UV reactive but I'm not sure that's possible :shrug: (Unless the primoflex, even in it's LRT version, is still a solid purchase that is :))

RCG_Bex
07-04-2008, 03:22 AM
www.watercoolinguk.com

www.chilledpc.co.uk

www.kustompcs.co.uk

~Bex

gojirasan
07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
If those links are all you guys have then your selection of tubing is piss poor. Sounds like you may have to order from the US unless you want Feser (nice colors but kink resistance less than ideal) or old fashioned Tygon 3603. That tubing review is a bit out of date. The new Primoflex LRT has the same kink resistance as the old stuff. Both have about the best kink resistance you will find anywhere.

My preference would be as follows:
1. old primoflex
2. new primoflex (LRT)
3. Tygon B-44-3 clear beverage tubing.
4. Norprene with 1/8" wall (although I have never handled it)
5. If color is your first priority then definitely go for Feser. Their bright candy colors are the best that I have seen. You may need some smartcoils for tight bends though. I have found smartcoils to actually be quite effective and I think they look good, but they do add even more torque to the blocks.

In terms of kink resistance the B-44-3 is supposed to be almost as good as the primoflex but slightly stiffer than even the LRT version. BTW I have some blue primoflex LRT sitting right here on my desk next to some of the old blue primoflex (which I'm not sure you can even buy anymore). I find the new LRT blue to be a bit dark in normal light. I haven't tested it under UV light yet. So I'm not sure about that. The old blue was a bit lighter and supposedly less UV reactive. Under normal light I definitely prefer it. Again for color alone I don't think anything is going to come close to those striking Feser colors and Feser is easily available in the UK.

Mekrel
07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
R3400 all the way for me, black, straight water.

None of this dye business for me, I'll never go back to that as temps are better, system maintenance is easier and no build up of crap in my components.

RADCOM
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Good tubing available here too http://over-clock.co.uk/
the steel reinforced pvc tubing doesn't kink at all but smells a bit :)

Bobly
07-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Very nice suggestions guys :)

I was planning on using coils anyway where needed, though I'd probably just get black coils on coloured tubing. While I'm not too bothered about the colour of the tubing, seeing as they come in so many colours I thought I might make use of the availability and make it slightly nicer considering I have a clear side window (except for the 230mm fan).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be taking a look at the Feser tubes over the next few days as I've also rethought my tubing layout and it might not include as many sharp angles :)