PDA

View Full Version : Thermochill Gasket information?

Zaskar
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Heya guys, anyone have any advice on the Thermochill Gasket for the PA120.3?
Went to their site and didnt find all too much information on it and did a search here and almost all results were people saying how don't matter how they position it n a pull config, it eventually gets sucked into the fan fins.

Anyone have any real advice or installation, or If I even should with a pull config (1900 speed fans, will be running mostly undervolted but may get turned up that high sometimes)
If I cant ensure the fan fins wont stopped then it might not be worth using.

Zaskar
07-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Wasn't this same topic covered a few days ago???

Yea, I read that one when I searched, If I remember right you linked a page on Thermochills site that gave the very useful instruction that the gasket goes inbetween the rad and the fans :P

Need a bit more then that, especially pertaining to the fan blade suck issue, Thats why I asked what I did in the topic :P

John Planet
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM
After cleaning the rad position it in front of you vertically. Start by peeling the backing far enough to attach the first inch or so. Now the fun begins. Remove more backing and stretch the gasket as you slowly mount it. Remember to stretch to match the holes and supports on the rad as best you can.

MpG
07-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, seeing as there's already a topic started, anyone know a good way to get that :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing gasket OFF after it's been on for several months? The adhesive on my PA120.3's gasket refuses to let go, and the residue/stringy stuff looks pretty bad. I'm not above using chemicals, but I'd rather not damage the paint in the process. Anyone have some good remedies for this?

Zaskar
07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Is the gasket getting sucked into the fan a big issue though when the fans are in a pull config?

Well, seeing as there's already a topic started, anyone know a good way to get that :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing gasket OFF after it's been on for several months? The adhesive on my PA120.3's gasket refuses to let go, and the residue/stringy stuff looks pretty bad. I'm not above using chemicals, but I'd rather not damage the paint in the process. Anyone have some good remedies for this?

I wonder if a citrus based cleaner like Goo Gone would damage the paint much? (Since its matte, even water on a towel would probably rub some of the paint off)

IanY
07-04-2008, 01:32 PM
To remove gasket adhesive.

Windex Multi Surface Cleaner (glass and kitchen). Its green.

Optional, but I also use Lysol bathroom cleaner with bleach. That, use at your own risk.

For Wndex cleaner, spray outdoors on driveway (not the grass because it probably will kill the grass and plants). Let it soak for 15 minutes or so. Dont be cheap with the stuff.

If you use the bleach stuff, you better not leave it on for more than 3 minutes.

Use a dull butter knife. Even better, use a metal putty knife used by painters to fill holes in the wall.

As per standard operating procedure, I finished off with the power washer lol. :rofl:

If you want to paint, use a thinner first, and then a power sander. It will take the adhesive off pronto.

Zaskar
07-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Just installed a gasket, post pic in a few...

Cool man.

You see what im talking about though when placing the fans on it? The side wall of the gasket is so thin it really seems like if its installed even a mm off at any point that a fan on pull could suck it in to the fins.

Zaskar
07-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Nice

I guess the part you need to look out for is connecting the fans, making sure it clamps down on it right, and not that it might bow inside at all.

Zaskar
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I soaked the shroud in "HOT SOAPY WATER" and I was able to just ruboff the left over gasket material.

You removed the gasket already?

Zaskar
07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
On a shroud that I messed up on...

I bought extra gaskets for each radiator anticipating this problem...

Ha! I bought 2 extras too just incase. Also cause the originals are always all messed up being jammed in that box that is Just big enough for the radiator.

LogAn'sRun
07-05-2008, 01:13 AM
is the gasket necessary if you're not using a shroud?

largon
07-05-2008, 01:40 AM
LogAn'sRun,
Err...?
How exactly would you use the gasket if you are not using a shroud?

LogAn'sRun
07-05-2008, 02:26 AM
ya well, a gasket is included with every pa purchase, so err??? Nothing in the directions says whether or not to use it?

Zaskar
07-05-2008, 10:10 AM
LogAn'sRun,
Err...?
How exactly would you use the gasket if you are not using a shroud?

Its most beneficial when not using a shroud, since the big gap between fans that the shroud covers is the biggest air leak.

Zaskar
07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Silicone would be the best, its also what Feser rads use, but there is none for this Rad.

Actually I take that back, if your using a shroud you can simply use individual ran gaskets since the gap between then is covered. Try to find the Feser silicone fan vibration dampeners. They should work for you perfect.

Dont know where to buy, but these are them:
http://www.feser-one.com/site/index.php?cPath=82

How much room do you have between the motherboard tray and the fans when using the shroud? I was considering using them but it seems it would choke off most the space and make working with the tubes quite a bit more difficult.