PDA

View Full Version : Kick a$$ piping

DarthBeavis
07-03-2008, 08:22 AM
http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=24085&view=findpost&p=188672
http://www.onlineregister.com/nvidia/clubsli/art/userpics/SLI-24492.jpg

NaeKuh
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
its very nice, however i would cry if i needed to take something out.

And that nvidia platform isnt going last much longer either. :T

Logos
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
wow, impressive really :clap:

what's that thing, white, at the bottom of the case, below the last graphic card, and connected to the rad?

YMAA
07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
That. Is. Awesome. Though I too would cry if I had to take something out.

DarthBeavis
07-03-2008, 08:30 AM
I wonder how he made the bends . . .

Kayin
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Rolling tubing bender. Beautiful work too. I thought about hardlining Mithril, but I need so much line it's ridiculous.

Pellepel
07-03-2008, 08:33 AM
damn thats crazy! :shocked:

Garrett
07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Very thin piping... and indeed take something out I dare you :p:
Not for me, I'll stick with tubing ;)

Movieman
07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
beautiful work.. Not my taste but I can appreciate the talent and time this guy put into this. Excellent.:up:

freakgeek1337
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
On my predictions it says that this machine is restrictive.

Flow Meter: 0.01

But otherwise this system is nnniiiccceee. It does need a better home though. Get rid of the hidious TEC...

BenchZowner
07-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Nice but thin.
Oh, and a black paint would make the setup look better :D

Now...disassemble it :p:

Chewbenator
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Pretty cool, not as cool as this though.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/chewbenator/awesomecpublock.jpg
I think I found this in the watercooling gallery but it was awhile ago.

Eldonko
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Looks very cool but I highly doubt it is effective as regular 1/2 inch tubing. Nice work nonetheless.

Chruschef
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
wow, impressive really :clap:

what's that thing, white, at the bottom of the case, below the last graphic card, and connected to the rad?

being an owner of this same barebones case; it's an alienware case with alienware lighting effects... they're power connectors to the side panel that slides on to make the alien symbol light-up.. It's pretty neat ^_^

Logos
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
being an owner of this same barebones case; it's an alienware case with alienware lighting effects... they're power connectors to the side panel that slides on to make the alien symbol light-up.. It's pretty neat ^_^

oh OK thanks...so it was only the pic making it appear like it could be connected to the rad lol.

Shocker003
07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice work and i can picture you face whenever you think about upgrading some hardwares

DaMulta
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I used to bend those tubes for a living. I wish I still had my rolling tube bender, because that looks very nice in there.

When you get the hang of it, bending those tubes into place becomes very easy.

Soulwind
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Very, very pretty. Must be a pain to change out components though.

Wasn't that second pic an attempt at a radiator-free rig, that looked cool but didn't quite pan out?

Chewbenator
07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Very, very pretty. Must be a pain to change out components though.

Wasn't that second pic an attempt at a radiator-free rig, that looked cool but didn't quite pan out?

Quite possibly, if the coils where the only part to it, it seems that having fins on them... or in-between the tubes, and a fan blowing across would be necessary.

IanY
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
The piping seems small in diameter, and there are way too many bends. Driven by a single D5, I can't see much in terms of pressure. Sometimes projects are undertaken for form rather than substance.

Chruschef
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
oh OK thanks...so it was only the pic making it appear like it could be connected to the rad lol.

Correctem00ndo? :cool:

Amazing look though, just proves how good those alienware cases really are.
*LOVES HIS*.. they look great, have neat-lights, very good airflow, you just can't buy them anymore, without buying an alienware computer :shakes:

Extigy
07-03-2008, 12:17 PM
looks very restrictive, but kudos, bending like that takes alot of experiance! looks very very neat.

Martinm210
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Very nice! I would love to see the same think in 1/2" diameter and then polish and clearcoat the 1/2" pipe.

Not quite sure what compression fittings he used, but that's sharp! Major talent, patience, and attention to detail!!

[XC] NetburstXE
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Agreed, damn, that looks awesome, but insanely restrictive.

eXa
07-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Well i think performance looks good.... if u know what i mean. In my eyes that system is awful, i pitty the poor pump.

IanY
07-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Is that a computer or is that a sculpture ? A computer that looks like it were built by Michelangelo is useless to me. Give me one with proper head pressure and flow rates anyday.

When you need testicles that work, those on the statue David, as nice as they are supposed to look, are carved out of stone and are useless.

More form over substance.

Or is my opinion so unpopular that I shouldn't voice it ?

71 (Bryan)
07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Id do that with mine if i had the time but with a larger diameter tubing

and apperently those tecs that evrybody hates are doing a pretty good job at keeping things cool

[XC] NetburstXE
07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Well i think performance looks good.... if u know what i mean. In my eyes that system is awful, i pitty the poor pump.

It probably performs dreadfully, but it looks damn cool!

71 (Bryan)
07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
NetburstXE;3114248']It probably performs dreadfully, but it looks damn cool!

a quote from the man himself:
"I'm extremely proud of this build, it's efficient (CPU @ 34°c, GPU's @ 43°c during Game Play) and it looks friggin awesome. "

and btw for those who hate those tecs its just that and a 120.1 rad
imo thats pretty darn good

Asgard_thor
07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
thats a alienware case

HaCKs
07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
a quote from the man himself:
"I'm extremely proud of this build, it's efficient (CPU @ 34°c, GPU's @ 43°c during Game Play) and it looks friggin awesome. "

and btw for those who hate those tecs its just that and a 120.1 rad
imo thats pretty darn good

Yeah, and my shoe tells me bedtime stories.

MomijiTMO
07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Who cares how it performs, it looks awesome. I know we don't care for looks as long as we have performance but not everyone has this mentality. I wonder how hard it would be to do.

iandh
07-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Very nice! I would love to see the same think in 1/2" diameter and then polish and clearcoat the 1/2" pipe.

Not quite sure what compression fittings he used, but that's sharp! Major talent, patience, and attention to detail!!

I do this type of tubing at work all the time on the cooling loops, and gas supply lines for our thin film coating systems, in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I could have someone plumbing hardlines neatly in a couple hours. All you need is a rule and tape, tube cutter, and bender, and preferably a really nice and sharp 60 degree countersink.

The fittings are Swagelok fittings, there are many interchangable clones. I think the McMaster brand is Yor-Lok.

The clones cost about half as much and there is only a slightly perceivable quality difference.

I've considered copper hardlines before just for fun but it isn't worth the cost and trouble, plus I already do enough of that at work. :p:

SiGfever
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I used to bend those tubes for a living. I wish I still had my rolling tube bender, because that looks very nice in there.

When you get the hang of it, bending those tubes into place becomes very easy.

I was a Certified Instrument Fitter and bent tubing for several years. Stainless really looks nice but is pricey. I still have my customized Ridgid 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" benders.

DarthBeavis
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I do this type of tubing at work all the time on the cooling loops, and gas supply lines for our thin film coating systems, in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I could have someone plumbing hardlines neatly in a couple hours. All you need is a rule and tape, tube cutter, and bender, and preferably a really nice and sharp 60 degree countersink.

The fittings are Swagelok fittings, there are many interchangable clones. I think the McMaster brand is Yor-Lok.

The clones cost about half as much and there is only a slightly perceivable quality difference.

I've considered copper hardlines before just for fun but it isn't worth the cost and trouble, plus I already do enough of that at work. :p:

Can you link me some 1/2 and 3/8 ones that have a G 1/4 thread to attach to rads and blocks? I might try this for DayWalker if I have time . . .

SiGfever
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM

I have a box of assorted Swagelok fittings, they are expensive but in my opinion they are the best.

iandh
07-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Can you link me some 1/2 and 3/8 ones that have a G 1/4 thread to attach to rads and blocks? I might try this for DayWalker if I have time . . .

You may have to use a metric tube size if you want BSPP thread... I can do a little digging though.

I have a box of assorted Swagelok fittings, they are expensive but in my opinion they are the best.

Also in my opinion; they are the only thing we use at work, but the cost of the name brand may not justify itself for many hobbyists. The only reason I am really able to tell the small differences between genuine swageloks and copies (besides the names printed on them) is 1) Because I am a machinist, and 2) Because I have put so darned many of these fittings together over the years.

DarthBeavis
07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
You may have to use a metric tube size if you want BSPP thread... I can do a little digging though.

Also in my opinion; they are the only thing we use at work, but the cost of the name brand may not justify itself for many hobbyists. The only reason I am really able to tell the small differences between genuine swageloks and copies (besides the names printed on them) is 1) Because I am a machinist, and 2) Because I have put so darned many of these fittings together over the years.

Metric would be fine i think

DaMulta
07-03-2008, 08:34 PM
So, what are your temps?

HaCKs
07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
the system doesn't belong to darth or anyone on this forum. Follow the link in the OP.

VAdept
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Love the craftsmanship, now you just need to stuff all that in a steampunk casing :)

MomijiTMO
07-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Hmm oh yeah. This would look fantastic on a steampunk themed case.

tiro_uspsss
07-04-2008, 03:38 AM
yeah, i'd have to agree - looks a wee bit restrictive :D
looks-wise, its definitely diff & stands out :up:

now the waterblocks here: i like! :yepp: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/chewbenator/awesomecpublock.jpg

No1451
07-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Looks neat, and if hes not lying about the performance thats decent. But I can't imagine its even close to quiet, and its likely ridiculously restrictive. Not even taking the tubing all through the case, that looks like he mangled a CoolIt Elite into his system, and the Elite uses 1/4" tubing, AFAIK they use the same sizing for the channels in the TECs.

Pretty though.

Oh and expensive lol.

71 (Bryan)
07-04-2008, 12:38 PM
the channels in the tecs looks the same as on of those chipset blocks from eK

DarthBeavis
07-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Guys will this work from McMasters: 2430A6
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/gfx/large/2430ap1l.gif

voigts
07-04-2008, 05:57 PM
If this was done with 3/8" tubing, then you would have both form and function. But trying to use 1/2" to make bends that tight is not going to work. Using copper has its advantages over trying to make some of the ridiculously tight bends I see using vinyl that so many do. Vinyl can put a lot of torque on blocks whereas copper puts none. I personally have a combination of copper and vinyl in my current case due to the placement of my blocks and rads.

If there was no desire to have nice form, why even bother using a case at all? I personally have gone to great lengths to have BOTH form and function.

CyberDruid
07-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I have often wondered if narrow lines like that would work okay. I mean you are getting more pressure and less flow but maybe it still would work? The one thing I really doubt is that the D-5 type pump is suitable for that kind of back pressure. Some other type of small pump might have a better characteristic for that implementation.

I've seen a rig with all hard copper pipe and fittings including a complex manifold that looks like an exhaust header on a race car...a real piece of work and probably pretty effective. But this is the first I've seen with stainless lines.

Right off I was pre-disposed to snear from the guy's post in the linked forum. It's like "Your rig sucks: my rig is great" which is hardly called for. Let the thing stand on it's own merits...

It does look nice. I was wondering what that ugly ass case was...Alienware...yuck. Nice HW though.

IanY
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Looking at that is like extracting teeth. Makes me so upset that I don't know where to start. Nothing but a glorified CoolIt Boreas.