PDA

View Full Version : LCD upgrade??

LogAn'sRun
07-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Yo!

I'm upgrading my LG 19" and have been thinking about going to 24" or 26".

few questions:

IS there that big of a difference between the two sizes, or is one favored over the other? Should I even look at 26"?
For gaming mostly, what's a recommended size?
Does anyone know anything about this model from BENQ:T261W?? Google provides no reviews. . .
And this model from Syncmaster: LS26TWHSUV??? Google zilch

I know from reading anandtechs massive review that refresh is the most important for gaming purposes, but I would like to have a pretty well rounded screen, with a focus on gaming.

If you need more from me, just ask!!!

LogAn'sRun
07-06-2008, 01:12 AM
**bump**

malkiewicz
07-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Not sure about the BENQ:T261W, but my BenQ FP241W kicks A$$..... My next purchase will be a 30" (I only hope BenQ will start to manufacture 30" monitors in the near future)

JohnZS
07-12-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading from my NEC 20WGX2 Pro LCD, which is considered to be one of the most responsive Widescreen LCD's. I have heard that the BenQ FP241W has more input lag and ghosting, will I notice this?
Or is it greatly exaggerated/addressed with a firmware or revision change?
I was looking at 24" or 30" but can't decide what :-(
John

Anemone
07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
24 because of the tighter pixel pattern and more models to choose from.

However I have a 24 and will move to 30 in the next 6 months.

Heretic
07-12-2008, 10:59 AM
It really depends on your budget. If you're just looking at TN panels, then go for 24". You get the smaller dot pitch and fewer viewing angle problems as the monitor is physically smaller. If you're looking at VA or IPS panels, then the 26" IPS panels will have lower image delay and better colors than the 24" VAs.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my NEC 20WGX2 Pro LCD, which is considered to be one of the most responsive Widescreen LCD's. I have heard that the BenQ FP241W has more input lag and ghosting, will I notice this?
Or is it greatly exaggerated/addressed with a firmware or revision change?
I was looking at 24" or 30" but can't decide what :-(
John

From what I've read, it has a little bit of inverse ghosting and the lag is 2-3 frames. There's really no way to tell if you'll notice it without trying it. If you're very sensitive to input lag, you likely will notice it. My L2410nm has ~2 frames of input delay and I don't really notice it.

YukonTrooper
07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Depends how close you're sitting to your screen. The recommendation is to sit no closer than the diagonal length of the screen, and I agree completely. I have a 24" and I am right at two feet (24"). I wouldn't want to be any closer, or I'd have to turn my head too much to see everything.

Anemone
07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I just don't prefer the looser pixel array of the 26" models. Contrast goes up as does brightness (which you may make no use of since it is probably too bright).

Faster image delay? That would only come from better controller electronics or a change in panel type/overdrive, so I'm wondering what you base that off of.