PDA

View Full Version : powering the pump

dopestuff
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
hey i want to power/connect my liquid pump (swifttech MCP655 24 watt)
to a 3/4 pin fan connector on my motherboard (the one for my cpu fan)
bacause then when my pump fails the pc shuts down automaticly and then i can also regulate the pump speed whitout having to open my case..

howevver does a 3/4 pin fan connector on you motherboard put out 24 watt??
and what would be another safe method?? (so my pc automaticly shutts down)

greats, dope

shachar2
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
it doesn't deliver 24 watt, I'm not sure how must it puts out but you're not suppose to connect it this way.
there are special pumps that has additional outputs to be able to connect them as you said, then they report "fan" speed to the motherboard and if they fail (dead man's switch) the computer bios knows to shutdown the computer

IanY
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
That's a fast way to kill the motherboard. Unless you hate your mobo, don't do that.

Me1tDown
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Unless your MCP655 is dramatically different from all the ones I've used, it doesn't have a tach signal brought out so that wouldn't even let the motherboard monitor for pump failure. Also, that pump is quiet enough at full speed that I don't know why you'd want to adjust the speed. The MCP350 and MCP355 have auxiliary tach output connectors you can plug in to the CPU fan port to trigger the automatic shutdown.

WoZZeR999
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Only the 655-B has the tach output. If you really want to be certain, you can lower the shutoff point in the BIOS for CPU temp (maybe). Without a RPM wire, you can't really monitor the rpm's anyway.

dopestuff
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
hehe i know it does not have the fantype wire on it but i was planing on using a convertor cable... :P:
well i guess the pump is also pretty relyable and i will also use the shutdown on lower temps idea :)
and thanks for the info and advice people

greats, dope

WoZZeR999
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
If the source doesn't not have what you need (the RPM wire), no converter will allow you to have have RPM monitoring. The Wattage pulled would probably be too much for the mobo anyway.