PDA

View Full Version : Poem@home, just curious

vaio
07-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Sorry if this post seems a trifle impolite or whatever but just wondering.......

Given the mass of firepower you guys have here, and your penchant for DC Vault rankings and such.......why does Poem@home receive such little support?

Is there something awry with the project?......general lack of enthusiasm?....???

Or is it simply that you hold WCG as the XS primary project?

Or perhaps you are holding back to have a major run on it in the future?? :D

Just curious, because it seems to me that Poem is as justified a project as any other, and more so than most.........yet your DC folks don't seem keen. :confused:

Oh well.

vaio
07-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Wonder if my new team can sneak up and catch you lot :p:

[XC] riptide
07-02-2008, 04:56 AM
vaio ... I think most of us have learned from past Xmas forum rows (I always wondered why the DC guys here sometimes row around Xmas over projects :) ) that its better to do no more than encourage people in threads in this place and in the other respective sub forum. The value of a DC project can be rather taboo, as seen by different people. In the past some people have openly criticized projects. I can admit personally to having attacked SETI. I've grown up from all that, and basically hold the philiosophy of "Crunch.... whatever. Just crunch :)" I think people here come from a broad background in their own motivations. I'm sure many people are very competitive and hold Vault or personal pointage in the highest regard regardless of what has to be crunched etc. And as far as I'm concerned. Fine.

Distributed Computing, in this neck of the woods, and looking at other large teams, is a free land. No Extended Team can function without MAJOR rows, if somebody tries to manage it. Thats what happened in the past. That and a drop off in respect. Now... we'll sail our boats in whatever direction it takes us. Individually.

Anyway.. as for Poem. Yep. Fine project. I've moved off Boinc for a couple of weeks personally. I'm on another of my 3-4week project walk aorunds, and I'll wander back to WCG for another couple week/month blast before I do it again. :)

Paladin
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
You can look around the XS stats and see that there are really just 12-20 "mavericks (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=maverick)" being DC Vault point racers while the rest stick to a single project. WCG being the primary team effort and F@H (with that sexy GPU client) second.

twilyth
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
How is POEM different in terms of the research being done compared to say FaH or Rosetta.

Movieman
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
My 2 cents..
Riptide said it pretty well.
A live and let live attitude is what works best for us I think.
As to POEM, good app IMO.. Essentially the same as Rosetta.
Oh, I had it on the clover here for friday nite,sat,sun and mon to help the Teddies team in their little race.I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though my main passion is with the WCG app I understand and will support other programs from time to time as the people are just as important to me as the programs.
It is one of those things where you wish you had unlimited resources so you could help all but with limited resources you have to pick your spots to help.

[XC] riptide
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
'Crunch Free, Or Die' ;)

Movieman
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
riptide;3110975']'Crunch Free, Or Die' ;)

yup..:up:

Marvin_The_Martian
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
riptide;3110975']'Crunch Free, Or Die' ;)

yup..:up:

If I wasn't so tired I would sig this.. I might still do it, tomorrow ;)

phicks
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh, I had it on the clover here for friday nite,sat,sun and mon to help the Teddies team in their little race.I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though my main passion is with the WCG app I understand and will support other programs from time to time as the people are just as important to me as the programs.

It was appreciated as well Dave. Was nice to have a few friends come by and give us a hand. :up:

vaio
07-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Yes, sorry, I was out of line again......gee that's so unusual :D

Think I'm suffering dc burnout.........and the latest debacle over at Rosetta, well.....

Think it's time for me to step back from dc a while.

Keep up the great work whatever you crunch.....and sorry for being a pain in the ass.

:wave:

[XC] riptide
07-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, sorry, I was out of line again......gee that's so unusual :D

Think I'm suffering dc burnout.........and the latest debacle over at Rosetta, well.....

Think it's time for me to step back from dc a while.

Keep up the great work whatever you crunch.....and sorry for being a pain in the ass.

:wave:

Nope. Not out of line. A fair question merited a fair response.

Burnout? baaaah. If you perceive burnout, just leave the machines on. They won't suffer burnout.:cool: You can personally 'detach' yourself. Machines will be there doing their thing, some hung, some not.

Rosetta? Baker not handling things 'right' again? Deja Vu? What a w@nker.:clap: