PDA

View Full Version : Ants...

Loser777
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Today while rehooking up my HDD, I noticed an ant crawling by one of my drive bays... I immediately scoured the inside of the case for a half hour with a flashlight, but no sign of the ant...
Should I be worried?

Serpentarius
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
who to blame? obviously on the user (you!)

Ants do not make nests in computers! (fact)
Ants make nest in your home (another fact)

Mango31
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Careful, that's a scout. You HAVE to kill the scout...

:eek::D

On a serious note - yeah, i believe that ants can give you a nice short on the mobo.

[cTx]Hype
07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
That would suck for the ant getting on a mobo and shorting it... would suck for u too. I can hear tech support now... "Wait so you say an ant killed your mobo?...."

xMrBunglex
07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
he's got hiiiiiigh hopes!

(please someone tell me they got that so i don't feel too old.)

Katanai
07-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Today while rehooking up my HDD, I noticed an ant crawling by one of my drive bays... I immediately scoured the inside of the case for a half hour with a flashlight, but no sign of the ant...
Should I be worried?

Now how about this? If you use some liquid nitrogen for a nice session it should take care of the ants too. :cool:

s1nykuL
07-02-2008, 01:03 AM
he's got hiiiiiigh hopes!

(please someone tell me they got that so i don't feel too old.)

ooops there goes another rubber tree plant ;)

I believe insects causing shorts in computer circuits was the origin of the term "computer bug". Of course we are plagued more by software bugs than hardware bugs these days, mainly as a result of ms using insects to write code. What they use people you say?

motopen1s
07-02-2008, 04:07 AM
I am sure all your advises makes him feel better. :rolleyes:

As for me, I would make sure the speed of my fans is cranked up, so that the ants will have no chance of survival :)

p.s. also I would use the kitchen table for dinner more often and make sure the room is tidy

Noob-ftw
07-02-2008, 07:15 AM
who to blame? obviously on the user (you!)

Ants do not make nests in computers! (fact)
Ants make nest in your home (another fact)

Depends on what kind of ants:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080514/ants_texas_080514/20080514?hub=SciTech

r4st4m4n
07-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Well I doubt it will short anything.

It happens to me at least twice to have an ant on my screen. I tried to swipe it off before I realized the ant was actually on the other side of the screen, INSIDE the monitor :eek: ... I tried to frag it but it didn't work either ... :rolleyes:

Loser777
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I scoured the case again, no sign of the ant... I think it fell off... I don't have ants in here at all, strange I would find one...
I still remember my OLD PII computer, it was built in '98, and when I opened it in '05... there were spiderwebs with dead ants and :banana::banana::banana::banana:...

Loser777
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
WOW, as soon as I wrote that post, I looked into my case, I saw a HUGE :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing spider under my graphics card with a web there... WTF I've only had my 9800GX2 for a couple of days, and it's already there... I shoed it behind my PSU with a paper towel, and when I removed my PSU it wasn't there anymore so hopefully it's not in my case anymore... It's not that I'm scared about a short, it's just that my OCD is killing me.

I'm never running my computer without the side panel on the floor again...

little_scrapper
07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
WOW, as soon as I wrote that post, I looked into my case, I saw a HUGE :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing spider under my graphics card with a web there... WTF I've only had my 9800GX2 for a couple of days, and it's already there... I shoed it behind my PSU with a paper towel, and when I removed my PSU it wasn't there anymore so hopefully it's not in my case anymore... It's not that I'm scared about a short, it's just that my OCD is killing me.

Its inside your psu now...obviously.

I had my dash lights flicker and go out with a puff of smoke coming out as well. I has about 100 miles into a 1200 mile raod trip. This wasnt a good start. when I pulled my cluster panel i found a big beatle all toasted across what I assume was 12V and a gnd. Scrapped off the carcas and all was well again. I thin that beatle took a piss at the wrong moment. while sitting across the hot and gnd lines of my 12V system.:rofl:

[cTx]Hype
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Lol I would call the verminators :P

Loser777
07-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Its inside your psu now...obviously.

I had my dash lights flicker and go out with a puff of smoke coming out as well. I has about 100 miles into a 1200 mile raod trip. This wasnt a good start. when I pulled my cluster panel i found a big beatle all toasted across what I assume was 12V and a gnd. Scrapped off the carcas and all was well again. I thin that beatle took a piss at the wrong moment. while sitting across the hot and gnd lines of my 12V system.:rofl:
Uh, the vents on my Corsair are way too small for it to get into my PSU (we're talking daddy-longlegs here), and since my PSU is fanless, it runs EXTREMELY hot... the spider would be dead the instant it went inside...
It went behind the PSU and escaped through some other part of my case, because I've looked inside.