PDA

View Full Version : RAM and CPU on vaio bx61mn notebook

Alexontherocks
06-30-2008, 06:17 AM
hi!

A couple of questions regarding a notebook. Not particularly Xtreme but troubling (at least for me).

I have a sony vaio vgn-bx61mn http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-BX61MN&site=voe_en_GB_prof&category=VN+BX+Series

very happy with it however I would like to know:

1) Would it be possibile to update the cpu with a T7XXX series socket P cpu or better?

2) On the vaio webste it states that max allowed ram is 1.5gb Seems strange...I believe the chipset on this notebook is able to handle even 4gb of memory correct? Of course I would have to use both slots purchasing 2x2gb banks or is it not so simple?

any replies appreciated....

Alex

P.s. This is a study/working notebook...not designed and not purchased to be a high end multimedia/gaming rig. I just need a quick and reliable machine to use at university, surf the web, watch the occasional HD movie and just sometimes launch demanding software like CAD (but for minor projects). Vista is taxing on the memory and CAD is taxing on the CPU hence my questions...

Alexontherocks
07-01-2008, 02:11 AM
any ideas?

In general I don't understand why any manufacturer would state that maximum memory is a value well below the possibile amount given the chipset specifications.

Also, socket P processors should be compatible with any socket P board with compatible chipset. Even 45nm processors should be compatible with my GM965 chipset board.

Reinvented
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't feel like looking up that model, but what chipset does it use? Also, some of the chipsets will limit what speed CPU can be used in there as well. Memory now-a-days, can be used up to 4GB's, or 2GB's. Maybe it says 1.5GB's max, as it will only accept 512MB DIMM's rather than 1GB or 2GB DIMM's. Just another thing to consider..

rado992
07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Maybe only one slot is directly accessible:shrug: meaning that if there's a 512MB module installed in the non-accessible slot and you can install an SO-DIMM no bigger than 1 GB in the open slot, there will be a 1.5 GB memory limit. Of course,if you can find a way to access the second slot and install another 1 GB module (most probably will void your warranty though) the laptop may be able to work with 2GB of RAM.. just a guess..:eh:

G0ldBr1ck
07-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe only one slot is directly accessible:shrug: meaning that if there's a 512MB module installed in the non-accessible slot and you can install an SO-DIMM no bigger than 1 GB in the open slot, there will be a 1.5 GB memory limit. Of course,if you can find a way to access the second slot and install another 1 GB module (most probably will void your warranty though) the laptop may be able to work with 2GB of RAM.. just a guess..:eh:

Thats likely.