PDA

View Full Version : Q6600/Asus P5K-E System Keeps Rebooting!

Dee
06-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi all.

I recently built a machine based around a Q6600 for a friend. I had very little time to work on it, and now he's phoning me with problems. Apparently the PC keeps rebooting. I was as thorough as possible when it came to building this one, but normally I'd want to keep the machine in my possession for a few days to test it and make sure all is working as it should be. Unfortunately I was rushed through it.

Can anyone give me any ideas what this problem could be? I know the info here is quite vague, but I have very little to go on myself. What are the likely causes of random reboots? The full spec is below:

Intel Q6600 (Retail)
Asus P5K-E WIFI motherboard
OCZ PC8500 2x1GB
Gigabyte 8600GT
Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
Tagan TG600-BZ modular PSU
Lian Li PC60B case
Samsung Spinpoint 750GB
Samsung SATA DVD drive

This system is running at stock BIOS settings, no overclocking (yet).

One thing I'd like to mention is the 8-pin/4-pin CPU power cable -- only 4 pins are connected. I looked around on the net and lots of people said they use 4-pin and the other 4 pins on the connector are covered. I'm wondering if it needs the 8-pin.

Driver installation has been a bit of a nightmare, btw. The chipset driver really didn't want to install from the supplied CD. I had him download newer drivers from the Asus website and they installed OK, I think.

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Nasgul
06-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Apparently the PC keeps rebooting.Could be overheating issues, such as your CPU. CPU heat-sink/fan not seated properly? One of the 4 lame pins no in the lock-in position? ahhhh........memory incompatibility? faulty memory modules? faulty Power supply?, so check in that order.

I'd like to mention is the 8-pin/4-pin CPU power cable -- only 4 pins are connected. I looked around on the net and lots of people said they use 4-pin and the other 4 pins on the connector are covered. I'm wondering if it needs the 8-pin.You don't exactly need the full 8 pin anymore, I've never used the 8 pin before and have not had any issues but supplying more power to the CPU isn't really going to help the reboot issues as I've never heard of such thing. Core 2 CPUs aren't exactly Netburst CPUs.

Driver installation has been a bit of a nightmare, btw. The chipset driver really didn't want to install from the supplied CD. I had him download newer drivers from the Asus website and they installed OK, I think.Bit mistake........you go to www.intel.com and download the latest and greatest drivers from the main source itself, not the supply cd or asus site, both have outdated software.

BTW, did you install the video card in the BLUE slot? Also, check for video card overheating, my pc kept doing the same thing and end up bing the video cards

Dee
06-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Could be overheating issues, such as your CPU. CPU heat-sink/fan not seated properly? One of the 4 lame pins no in the lock-in position? ahhhh........memory incompatibility? faulty memory modules? faulty Power supply?, so check in that order.

Thanks, I will do as you suggest.

[QUOTE=Nasgul;3100808]You don't exactly need the full 8 pin anymore, I've never used the 8 pin before and have not had any issues but supplying more power to the CPU isn't really going to help the reboot issues as I've never heard of such thing. Core 2 CPUs aren't exactly Netburst CPUs.

OK, no worries.

Bit mistake........you go to www.intel.com and download the latest and greatest drivers from the main source itself, not the supply cd or asus site, both have outdated software

Ah, I didnt think about that. Makes sense!

BTW, did you install the video card in the BLUE slot? Also, check for video card overheating, my pc kept doing the same thing and end up bing the video cards

Yes, I installed it in the blue slot.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Dee
06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Quick update: This is an odd one. Apparently he's turned the PC on today and it's been running fine. Bizarre! Whatever the problem is, it appears to have fixed itself (hopefully). One thing, though, I downloaded some drivers for the Intel chipset and one of them won't install, but the system appears to be working OK.