PDA

View Full Version : TW3X2G1600C9DHXNV EPP on or off?

rapid64k
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi guys, i have brought myself a Asus 790i ultra (yeah i know good luck:))
I have on order TW3X2G1600C9DHXNV x2 gig. I went for this ram due to the EPP function but i have been told to by another person to buy cheaper ram without the EPP and imput the timings for myself and save myself some money.
Is EPP important for this board or should i do like i was advised thanks.

Yellowbeard
06-28-2008, 09:11 AM
The EPP profiles add very little cost to the kit. Currently, the non-NV version of the same kit you have lists for $7 less than the version with the EPP. So, IMO, it's not worth $7 to return a kit.

rapid64k
06-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Yellow beard i have the ram on order i have not yet received it yet.
So is EPP ram worth having on a Asus 790i ultra or should i dispense with the EPP?

Yellowbeard
06-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Yellow beard i have the ram on order i have not yet received it yet.
So is EPP ram worth having on a Asus 790i ultra or should i dispense with the EPP?

That's really up to you. If the convenience of having 1 step memory OCing is worth $7 then yes. I know a lot of gamers who are not tweakers and enthusiasts enjoy it as they'd rather be gaming than endlessly tweaking memory settings. But, if you are going to manually OC the RAM and not use EPP, then it has no value to you. Regardless, it will cost more than $7 to return it so you may as well keep the EPP version you already have on order as the non-EPP is the same RAM underneath.