PDA

View Full Version : BIOS G27 + Corsair TW3X4G1800C8DF = Error 54?

ric9887
06-27-2008, 03:36 AM
I have flashed my Blockops to G27, and the system booted. I went into the BIOS, saved and now get error 54 with a continuous beep beep and nothing on the screen.

Can change the BIOS select jumper to force BIOS 2 (P02) using pins 3-4 and the system boots fine. Incidently pins 7-8 (BIOS SELECT, default is BIOS ROM 2) got 54 and beeps. I am not entirely clear what the difference between 3-4 and 7-8. I am guessing one obviously forces, am not really sure what the other really does.

I have tried clearing the CMOS while booting from BIOS 1 (G27) but still get error 54. Does the CLR-CMOS1 button do anything different to the Clear CMOS jumper ?

If I have booted from BIOS 2, and reflash to G26 or something else, will it flash the BIOS I booted from, or BIOS 1 ?

The memory I am using is Corsair Dominator TW3X4G1800C8DF and I had not OC'd or changed any of the default settings.

I am not sure how to recover from this.

jonbass
06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi!

Now i don’t have any real answers on why this Error 54 appears, but in this thread we have discuss this error and hopefully that can help you continue.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191803

When you save and exit and the 54 error locks the board, and you hear continues beeps, then just turn of the PSU and wait until the light fully discharge and then power up again.

Hope this can help, good luck.

ric9887
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Thank jon, I read this thread when it happened, but turning off the PSU and waiting for the blue LED to go out still causes the error. I dont get an option to go into the BIOS and change anything, I am only left with rejumpering to run BIOS 2 (P02)

I am guessing G27 just doesnt like my memory, although it is fine in P02. Unfortunatly its the only DDR3 memory I have.

I do not know how I can reflash BIOS 1 with a newer or older flash. I obviously dont want to flash over BIOS 2 and risk that not allowing me to boot.

Is there only one CMOS or is the CMOS tied to the BIOS selected ie there are 2 ? I know there are kind of 'save setting' inside the BIOS to save different profiles, but I dont mean those.

If there is only one set of cmos settings, I am thinking that perhaps I can try some manual memory settings and see if those can be accepted when booting from G27, but I dont really want to try anything until there is some advice.

Either that, or get some other memory :-(

ric9887
06-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I have found a option in the FOX LiveUpdate to update the Main BIOS ROM or the Backup ROM.

Incidently, this option was present but greyed out in the version supplied on the CD, but was active in 1.0.7.0 which is available through its Online Update.

I was apprehensive which ROM the program though was the Main and which was the Backup, but fortunately there is a manual option to dump each ROM, and there is a date header in the file.

The Main ROM looks to be BIOS 1 and Backup looks to be BIOS 2.

ric9887
06-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Confusion with the Boot BIOS jumpers !

It appears that using 5-6 or 7-8 for defaulting the BIOS to be boot the 2 BIOS's doesnt work as you expect.

After recovering G27 to G26 using Fox LiveUpdate to the Main BIOS (BIOS1) I was able to POST the MB, however I did this by using 1-2 and 3-4 which force a BIOS.

5-6 which should BIOS select ROM 1 do initially (with a cleared CMOS) select BIOS1, but after going into the BIOS and saving then proceed to boot to BIOS 2. After checking the setting in OC Gear/Foxconn Function you can see that BIOS 1 is selected - yet it proceeeds to boot P02, which is on BIOS 2 !

Changing this setting in the BIOS (cant remember if it was booted with P02 or G26) doesnt save the setting. You can change it to BIOS 2, but then when you go back into the menu option, it has changed back to BIOS1!

Now, after a cleared CMOS booting with 7-8, which should select booting from BIOS2 does, until you save the settings, after which the system will then boot with BIOS 1.

Looking in the BIOS after booting with 7-8 you can see that BIOS 2 is selected, but this will thereafter boot using the BIOS1.

Its massively confusing, and doesnt help with the BIOS talking about BIOS 1/2 and the LiveUpdate talking about Main and Backup.

Basically, use jumpers 1-2 and 3-4 to force BIOS 1 (Main) BIOS 2 (Backup).

I can not believe this is QF's desired activities in this area, but hope someone will find this post and take a look at it.

Result is TW3X4G1800C8DF wont POST with G27 but will with G26.

LardArse
06-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Thank jon, I read this thread when it happened, but turning off the PSU and waiting for the blue LED to go out still causes the error. I dont get an option to go into the BIOS and change anything, I am only left with rejumpering to run BIOS 2 (P02)

I am guessing G27 just doesnt like my memory, although it is fine in P02. Unfortunatly its the only DDR3 memory I have.

I do not know how I can reflash BIOS 1 with a newer or older flash. I obviously dont want to flash over BIOS 2 and risk that not allowing me to boot.

Is there only one CMOS or is the CMOS tied to the BIOS selected ie there are 2 ? I know there are kind of 'save setting' inside the BIOS to save different profiles, but I dont mean those.

If there is only one set of cmos settings, I am thinking that perhaps I can try some manual memory settings and see if those can be accepted when booting from G27, but I dont really want to try anything until there is some advice.

Either that, or get some other memory :-(

in jumper position 1, u slect rom 1, in jumper position 2, u select rom 2, in jumper position 3, u select rom1 by default but can change in bios to select rom2, in jumper position 4, u select rom2 by default but can change in bios to select rom1

ric9887
06-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Lardarse, I know that is how it is documented as working, however this isnt infact how it works, at least not on my board.

Try booting with jumper 3 or 4 and change the setting in the BIOS. Re-enter the screen where you changed it and see if it is still set ?

On my board it changes back to it original value, and boyond that, it proceeds to boot the oposite BIOS to the one is suggests it will boot once it has been saved.

saaya
06-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Result is TW3X4G1800C8DF wont POST with G27 but will with G26.
hmmm thats odd, the 1600 2gb kit works fine...
what chips are on those sticks?
what ver is it? 4.1 or 3.1?

Hi Lardarse, I know that is how it is documented as working, however this isnt infact how it works, at least not on my board.

Try booting with jumper 3 or 4 and change the setting in the BIOS. Re-enter the screen where you changed it and see if it is still set ?

On my board it changes back to it original value, and boyond that, it proceeds to boot the oposite BIOS to the one is suggests it will boot once it has been saved.sorry, i dont get what you mean :(
you mean when you hit save and exit the settings arent actually saved?
and when you select the other bios it actually remains with the same bios even though you selected the jumper position which should allow you to switch to the other bios?

ric9887
07-02-2008, 11:40 PM
hmmm thats odd, the 1600 2gb kit works fine...
what chips are on those sticks?
what ver is it? 4.1 or 3.1?

I believe they use Samsung K4B1G0446D
They are version 4.1

sorry, i dont get what you mean :(
you mean when you hit save and exit the settings arent actually saved?
and when you select the other bios it actually remains with the same bios even though you selected the jumper position which should allow you to switch to the other bios?

This is partially my confusion and partitially some confusion with P02.

I have G26 on BIOS 1 and P02 on BIOS 2. Using jumper 3, the BIOS defaults to BIOS1. Setting BIOS 2 in the OC gear menu will boot to P02.

After this is done, if you look at the BIOS settings (once P02 is loaded) you will see the software selection is set to BIOS1 and it doesnt stay stuck if you exit and re-enter the screen.

This only happens in P02 and appears to work correctly when loading G26.

I am really only using the P02 BOIS to recover and try G27/G28 until booting of those Corsair DDR3's boot, so its not a problem.

saaya
07-03-2008, 01:48 AM
hmmmmm so you CAN boot with the corsair kit with G27 right?
Cause im on G27 and I can boot with the kit i have here.... :confused:

id recommend you to put the bios jumper to its default position and actuallty id use G27, if it does work properly, as the backup BIOS.
From my experience and what almost everybody else said its the most stable and compatible BIOS so far.

ric9887
07-03-2008, 01:57 AM
No I can not boot with G27. I can only boot with G26 (and P02).

You have the same TW3X4G1800C8DF kit ? the 2 x 2GB 1800 1.8V kit ?

saaya
07-04-2008, 12:54 AM
I tried the following kits with G27 and G28:

Corsair 2x1GB 2000 888 Samsung
Corsair 2x1GB 2133 888 Samsung
Corsair 2x1GB 1800 777 Micron
Corsair 2x2GB 1600 777 Samsung (basically the same memory you are using but mine are lower speed and tighter timings...)

and they all bootup fine!!! :confused:

Please post an SPD dump of your sticks and a detailled list of your system so I can try it on the kits here and see if i can reproduce the problem.
Ive spent hours trying to reproduce your problem but i just cant make it happen...

EDIT: please try this:

turn off the PSU
remove the BIOS battery
wait 10 mins
put the BIOS battery back
turn on the psu
power on the board
*cross your fingers* :D

BMAF
07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
No I can not boot with G27. I can only boot with G26 (and P02).

You have the same TW3X4G1800C8DF kit ? the 2 x 2GB 1800 1.8V kit ?

I'm using the same memory that you're having trouble with,
Corsair TW3X4G1800C8DF. Right now I'm using Bios G27 and I'm not having ary trouble with them. I'm only running them at DDR3 1600 usually, at 7-7-7-18, 1T, 1.8 volts. Performance level of 6. North Bridge at 1.4 volts But they have been memtest stable for hours without errors, and prime 95 stable for hours with these settings. I'm also using the white slots. All the other setting in bios are at auto. Everest gives me a report of the subtimings that are actually being used if you need them I'll post them. I get pretty good performance at these settings so this is what I usually use.
I've had them up to DDR3 1800 at 8-8-8-22, 2T, 1.9 something volts. But I'm using a Intel 9650, so running at that fsb takes a little more voltage than I want to run most of the time.
Actually, running tighter timings at DDR3 1600 gives me the same or better performance in super pi etc. as the faster DDR3 1800 settings with this memory, except for bandwidth measurements.

saaya
07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey BMAF, welcome to XtremeSystems! :toast: :D
Could you maybe post an SPD dump with www.techpowerup.com/spdtool ?
if you zip it and post it here, then rich could try that spd and flash it to his memory, maybe his sticks have a different SPD profile or the SPD profile is somehow corrupt?
Or its a BIOS flash issue and the BIOS isnt flashed properly for G27 and G28... still very weird that the mem will boot for several people and in one case it doesnt hmmmm

ric9887
07-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Thank you BMAF, saaya, I have since recieved a pair of the Cellshock 1866 1G modules. I can boot successfully useing G28 with those so I know the flash is good.

I will see if I can dump the SPD with that tool running G26 and perhaps you can spot whats wrong.

Aside from that, I can not run the Cellshock Prime95 Blend >2mins @ anything >390FSB which is odd as well.

Perhaps the board is faulty ?

Below is a Memset of the Corsairs using G26 with whatever it found in the SPD. Also attached are the SPD dumps as requested.

saaya
07-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Thank you BMAF, saaya, I have since recieved a pair of the Cellshock 1866 1G modules. I can boot successfully useing G28 with those so I know the flash is good.

I will see if I can dump the SPD with that tool running G26 and perhaps see what the difference.

Aside from that, I can not run the Cellshock Prime95 Blend >2mins @ anything >390FSB which is odd as well.

Perhaps the board is faulty ?

again, memory does not run at a certain fsb speed :P
do you mean you cant run stable above DDR3 1575?
what memory divider are you using?
how high can you get the fsb with another cpu multiplier or another lower memory divider? what vdimm and what timings?

Is it theese settings?

EIST:Native
Limited CPUI Disable
CIEisable
Execute Disable Bit: Enable
Virtual Tech: Disable
Freq Unlimited: Enable
Core Multi: Enable
Cold Boot Fix: Disable

Memory Timings:
ECC Scrubbing: Disable
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
tCL:8T
tRCD:8T
tRP:8T
tRAS:16T
Commands Per Clock:2T

CPU Volt Multiplier:x1
CPU Voltage :1.2875
CPU Target :1.2875
CPU Current :1.2700
CPU Default : 1.2875
CPU Vdroop Comp: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage :1.50886
CPU VTT :1.200
CPU GTL REF0 : Default
CPU GTL REF1 : Default
CPU GTL REF2 : Default
CPU GTL REF3 : Default
NB Voltage :1.25
NB GTL Ref : Default
SB Voltage :1.500

DRAM Voltage : 1.801
DRAM Pull-up: Default
DRAM Pull-Down: Default
DRAM Ref Voltage : Default

CPU Clock Ratio: 10x
CPU Clock Ratio+.5 : Disable
CPU Clock(FSB) : 3953
CPU Clock vs Memory Speed : 1:4 CPU:333
System Memory Speed : 1580
CPU Clock Skew : 0ps
CPU Clock Amplitude : 800mV
PCI Express Clock : 100Mhz
PCI Clock :33.6
Spread Spectrum : Disabled
Over Clock Recovery : Enabled

Core Temp .99 @idle :
C0:46
C1:46
C2:54
C3:54

Core Temp .99 @load :
C0:60
C1:60
C2:64
C3:64

ric9887
07-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Yes, with those timings it will pass a Prime Blend test. If I push the FSB to 400 it will fail. If I use the clock multiplier for 8 or 10 it will still pass with FSB@390.

Memory timings at 8-8-8-24 (Corsair) or 8-8-8-16 (Cellshock) 1.801V VDimm.

If I push the FSB to 410 and use a 1:2 memory multiplier (memory running at 821Mhz, the Prime95 Blend test fails.

saaya
07-05-2008, 02:56 AM
whats the max fsb and memory speed you can get with this setting?

EIST:Native
Limited CPUI Disable
CIEisable
Execute Disable Bit: Enable
Virtual Tech: Disable
Freq Unlimited: Enable
Core Multi: Enable
Cold Boot Fix: Disable

Memory Timings:
ECC Scrubbing: Disable
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
tCL:8T
tRCD:8T
tRP:8T
tRAS:16T
Commands Per Clock: 1T

CPU Volt Multiplier: x1
CPU Voltage : 1.3500
CPU Target :
CPU Current:
CPU Default :
CPU Vdroop Comp: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage :1.50886
CPU VTT : 1.200
CPU GTL REF0 : Default
CPU GTL REF1 : Default
CPU GTL REF2 : Default
CPU GTL REF3 : Default
NB Voltage : 1.60v
NB GTL Ref : Default
SB Voltage : 1.500

DRAM Voltage : 1.900v
DRAM Pull-up: Default
DRAM Pull-Down: Default
DRAM Ref Voltage : Default

CPU Clock Ratio: 6x
CPU Clock Ratio+.5 : Disable
CPU Clock(FSB) :
CPU Clock vs Memory Speed : 1:4 CPU:333
System Memory Speed :
CPU Clock Skew : 0ps
CPU Clock Amplitude : 800mV
PCI Express Clock : 100Mhz
PCI Clock :33.6
Spread Spectrum : Disabled
Over Clock Recovery : Enabled

saaya
07-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Yes, with those timings it will pass a Prime Blend test. If I push the FSB to 400 it will fail. If I use the clock multiplier for 8 or 10 it will still pass with FSB@390.

Memory timings at 8-8-8-24 (Corsair) or 8-8-8-16 (Cellshock) 1.801V VDimm.

If I push the FSB to 410 and use a 1:2 memory multiplier (memory running at 821Mhz, the Prime95 Blend test fails.

huh? but then the problem is your cpu, not the memory and not the board...
your only using a really low cpu vcore... use 1.35v and check how high you can get the fsb with 10x multi and 1:2 memory divider.

ric9887
07-05-2008, 03:10 AM
Just gonna reflash to G28 before I try those settings.

BMAF
07-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Just gonna reflash to G28 before I try those settings.

I'm not sure what processor you're using, but I assume with a unlocked multiplier its probably a QX9650. I had a lot of trouble getting my fsb >415-420 when I started working with this board. I was usiing CellShock blue memory kit at the time. And I thought it had something to do with them. One of the threads here had settings they used to get a fsb of 450 with a QX9650 , so I tried those and they worked. I just kind of changed all the settings at once, so I'm not sure what did the trick, and I haven't had time to go back and play with the settings individually. I was getting full load temps in the 70's after a hour or so though with water cooling, so I backed off some.
I've always been able to boot with a fsb of 400 though. I think I'm using 1.3625 vcore in bios for the processor to run 10 x 400. A Vcore of 1.35 would occasionally lock up prime 95 after a few minutes, so I upped it to 1.365 and have never had another lockup. I think this board undervolts 45nm processors by .1, so I'm really not using that much voltage. I had to use 1.45 volts running at a fsb of 450 and multipier of 9, so I think I was about at the limits of fsb with this processor.

One of the things that I've noticed with this board is how sensitive memory is to voltage. With the CellShocks 7-7-7-14, 1T, performance level 6, DDR3 1600, 1.8 volts would give errors, but 1.78 wouldn't. I couldn't figure out why I was getting errors running it below its rated speed. Thought I needed more voltage, but that didn't work. I think I read a thread where saaya made a comment about to much voltage didn't always work, sometimes it needs less. It really did turn out to be the case.

Try using Vcore of 1.35, and a NB voltage of 1.4 - 1.5. It looks like you're using a NB voltage of 1.25 , and that's probably a little low for fsb of 400.

Have you looked at the jumper on the motherboard to make sure it isn't set to run at a certain fsb?

I compared your spd file to mine on the memory, and they are the same. I'll attach them anyway in case you want to look at them.

Thanks for the welcome saaya, I'm new to this board, just started here when quantum force moved support here, and I'm impressed with the info, and the people on the board. I'll try to attach my spd files, still learning how to use this forum.

saaya
07-05-2008, 10:35 AM
your doing great for a rookie BMAF :lol: :D :toast:

im glad you like the section, its only 3 weeks old or so :D
so there is still a lot more to come :hrhr:

about the mem not liking more than 1.78v thats weird hmmmm
how about the next step above 1.8v?

and yes, ric i just thought... before you try to find another chip or find another board to test your cpu in...
try to play with the Bsel jumpers on the board, im now certain that your cpu beeing a 9770 with stock fsb of 400 actually causes the corsair dominator issues.
at 400fsb+ xmp kicks in automatically and is used instead of the normal spd profile, so that could explain why the doms dont boot with your cpu.
why it happens with G27 and G28, when actually G28 is supposed to improve the xmp situation... no idea... ill have to check with the bios engineer on monday...

now, besides trying other fsb sel jumpers, please make sure its not the mem holding you below 400 fsb.
its unlikely, but not impossible. when i chatted with you on msn you said prime blend fails while ffts pass... so that points to mem...
please try one stick only and try it in the first blue and first white slot next to the cpu socket.
if it doesnt work, try the other stick... maybe you have a faulty sick?

just thought id let you know some more things to try before going through the hassle of trying another cpu or another board with that 9770 cpu :toast:

ric9887
07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi BAMF, and thank you Saaya for the help this morning. I take a look at the MB and see what the jumper does to things and will try the single sticks on their own.

Will let you guys know the outcome.

saaya
07-07-2008, 03:21 AM
nevermind the jumpers, i didnt know that they actually lock the bios to OC DISABLED.
i talked to the bios engineer and he explained that its supposed to be like this, though i dont really understand what the point of such a jumper is if you cant change any other oc setting in bios after using it... :P