PDA

View Full Version : BlackOps 'Over Clock Phase Select' not available

moloko
06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey guys,

I’ve spent the past two days doing some testing with my BlackOps and have come across a number of issues that I’d like to share here.

The primary issue however that has driven the focus in this testing has been the fact the ‘Over Clock Phase Select’ is completely greyed out and cannot be selected. This means the value cannot be changed to ‘Manual O.C.’ to gain access to the overclocking options. Additionally all voltage options and memory timing options are also greyed out – basically this board is useless outside of running CMOS cleared BIOS defaults.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3964/1023877di2.jpg

But first, the test platform; the parts include:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 C741D503 ES
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 L735A545 ES #1
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 L735A545 ES #2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Q740A343 ES
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 L633A550 retail
Foxconn X48 BlackOps – full retail version
Corsair Dominator DDR3-1800 C7 – initially used, check below for full list
Corsair TX750 PSU
XFX FX5200 – PCI power yo!
XFX GTX280
Sapphire HD3870 Toxic – CrossFire

Cooling:

Noctua NH-U12F
Corsair Dominator Fan
Noctua NF-S12-1200
NB Air Cooling

Will move to water cooled NB and phase change cooled CPU (either SS or cascade) but need to get the issues sorted first.

BIOS versions tested:

G27 – Beta BIOS from Quantum Force site
G26 – Full release BIOS from Quantum Force site
G25 – Beta BIOS from Quantum Force site
G18 – BIOS from Quantum Force Scholar
P04 – Full release BIOS from Quantum Force site

Full list of memory initially run on this platform trying to find a working combination:

Corsair Dominator DDR3-1800 C7 2x1GB
Corsair DHX Intel XMP DDR3-1600 C7 2x2GB
Kingston HyperX DDR3-1800 C8 2x1GB
Kingston HyperX DDR3-1625 C7 2x1GB
Patriot LL DDR3-1866 C8 2x1GB
OCZ Platinum DDR3-1800 C8 2x1GB
GeIL DDR3-1600 C7 2x1GB

During the memory testing I found the following behaviour:

The Kingston HyperX DDR3-1800 C8 2x1GB resulted in an FF code appearing as Windows Vista begins to load but never makes it through the ‘Black Screen of Wait’.
The Kingston HyperX DDR3-1625 C7 2x1GB results in 54 beeping code; although this code represents having finished Memory Sizing Code and being stuck Memory Test and is a trait that sometimes happens when overclocking and the solution is to shut down, clear CMOS and reboot etc, but this is occurring at CMOS cleared defaults. Not overclocked at all.
The Corsair DHX Intel XMP DDR3-1600 C7 2x2GB resulted in a stall on code 40 (Memory Sizing code) then continues to C3 and immediately reboots – massive issues with 2x2GB configurations though was informed that the BIOS team is working on this issue.
All other kits operated correctly.

Seeing as some people are finding issues with PSUs and the BlackOps, when I get a chance I’ll replace the Corsair TX750 with either my Silverstone OP1000 or PC P&C 750W.

At this stage, I’ve tried so many things that my mind is now doing loops and trying to think of something else to try. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I’ll be stoked if it’s some stupid oversight on my behalf, albeit a little embarrassed :p:

LardArse
06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
You can't select manual OC at all?
Then there is something wrong with board on hand to begin with!

moloko
06-26-2008, 09:14 PM
I thought as much and cried at the thought, sham :(

I had high hopes of torturing all of my chips on this board with the cascade :D

Edit: BTW, you've got a PM

T_M
06-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Is this a retail board?

saaya
06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
have you tried reflashing the BIOS?
sounds like something is wrong with the BIOS...
enabling the oc functions doesnt actually change anything in hardware... so i doubt its a hardware issue... very weird :eh:

saaya
07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
LOL, moloko i ran into the same problem... you changed the FSB jumpers ;) :D
once you do that, all oc options are locked.
dont as me why, doesnt make sense to me either, but ill try to work on this with the BIOS engineers :)

moloko
07-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Cheers for the updates mate.

I took some time off from working and got away from the ol' benching for a bit. I'll have a play when I get the board back out soon - some other toys benching at the moment. If I have some luck I might through it under some LN2 with the QX9770. At the very least it'll see the SS... *sigh* I can't wait until my new cascade is finished :hehe:

saaya
07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
your welcome :toast:
what new cascade? -120 under load? ^^

moloko
07-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally it was going to be a cascade focused on GPUs to compliment my old CPU cascade. Unfortunately the old one was paid for by my old work and so when I quit, it went with the job. That leaves me wanting the new one that much more now hahah. But the new one will be designed for CPU and GPU usage or cascade on dual CPU (got a couple dual CPU systems around ;)). Ultimately though, I want to save up for another cascade so I can do cascade CPU and GPU - it's just so effortless compared to LN2.

Having said all that, I'm currently trying to find a decently priced dewar too :rofl: I just love sub-zero benching, it's so much fun and such a challenge. The only thing holding me back up until recently was a lack of time. Now I have the time and need to re-acquire the cooling hardware! :rofl:

saaya
07-11-2008, 01:44 AM
mhhhh i dont know that much about cascades and phase change, but what i kept hearing from phase builders is that multi head units are very tricky to adjust and use...
i would highly recommend you to go for 2 seperate units for cpu and gpu or if you wanna go dual cpu!

moloko
07-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Perhaps I wasn't very clear... :hm:

What I meant was that I had one 2-stage cascade and was getting an additional 2-stage cascade made focused on GPU cooling. Then my first 2-stage had to go back to my old work when I quit because they paid for it for me. This meant my new cascade will take the primary spot. The CPU/GPU configuration won't be through multiple heads. I'll use a single head and use different hold-down plates depending on whether I'm using it on a CPU socket or a GPU core - single head, multi purpose.

So now in the greater scheme of things my planned secondary cascade becomes my new primary and I need to save up once again for a new secondary cascade... argh the headache :rolleyes:

All the while, I need to find a dewar!

saaya
07-14-2008, 01:02 AM
ahhh gotcha... dewar, check in hospitals, they tend to have old ones that they can sell off cheap