PDA

View Full Version : Whats the longest you've ever stayed awake?

Kai Robinson
06-24-2008, 07:14 AM
For me, my personal best is 37 hours....but that was literally collapso-ville...and most of the following day never happened :p

Currently, i've been awake for 29 hours....i feel mostly compus-mentis, my attention span is sagging a little, i've started yawning and my eyes sting, although a shower refreshed me. I daren't sit in one place too long though, i may fall asleep!

ARC1450
06-24-2008, 07:15 AM
I made it to 48 hours. It was pretty rough, actually.

I'm good up to around 36 hours. . .after that, I start losing motor control.

eBoy0
06-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I think like 3-4 days back when starcraft was my addiction...

Kai Robinson
06-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I know what you mean, my fine motor skills are shot by now, everything seems to take that much more effort, regardless of how much i keep snacking on sugary stuff!

twiggy
06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Four days was my longest. Slept for 21 hours after that too(prob the longest I've ever slept too without drugs).

ARC1450
06-24-2008, 07:24 AM
I know what you mean, my fine motor skills are shot by now, everything seems to take that much more effort, regardless of how much i keep snacking on sugary stuff!

Lay off sugar. While it's a stimulant right off the bat, it's a depressant in the end.

Eat plenty of high-protein/high-carb food. Sugar and caffeine will be the death of you. lol

Hondo=TFD=
06-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Not to sound sarcastic or anything, but why stay up that long? It's very unhealthy to not sleep and you can not catch up on it.

TedShred
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I just hit hour 48. Time for lunch!

(Longest close to 96) My sleep patterns have been whacked for a couple years now.

SoulsCollective
06-24-2008, 08:27 AM
With or without LANs? Longest I've done was RFLAN on Friday and Saturday and then off to a private LAN on the Sunday - not quite sure how that worked out in terms of total hours but I was absolutely buggered afterwards.

Good fun though :D

n00b 0f l337
06-24-2008, 08:34 AM
97 hours for a Lan/Contest, walked away with $500 and took a nap ;)

Kai Robinson
06-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Trying to get out of the pattern of night shifts, and i dont have the luxury of a week to do it in....staying awake as long as possible so that i fall asleep at a 'normal' time :p

darkone414
06-24-2008, 09:22 AM
When I was younger me and my buddies would stay up for around 3-4 days straight playing UO and Starcraft. I have very fond memories of week long LAN parties being packed in my friend's room with 6 pc's and we would stay up for 2-4 days and take turns sleeping since there was only one bed lol. I think my record was just around 4 days but probably no longer than that.

Stewartwi
06-24-2008, 09:39 AM
About 4 1/2 days when me and my brother would play Everquest none stop. Hell I don't think I slept more then 4 hours at a time that summer. Got a ton of AA points out of it though. :-) And it was a blast except for the hallucinations more like black shapes moving all around I think it was just me having problems focusing on things.

Starscream
06-24-2008, 10:27 AM
around 70 hours.

Got up on day 1 at 7:00 and went to the city with my m8s.
Later that day at 23:00 i went to school (we had a class trip to london).
04:00 the day after ( day 3) we got back, the entire trip to london and back i couldnt sleep cause i had no room for my legs.

Seeing my ride didnt show up (cause we were home 2 hours late) i had to walk home some 9km (at this point i was awake since almost 48 hours).

When i was home i was so awake due to the walk that i went and watched TV and played games etc.
Then later that day i had a family birthday and i was a real wreck. kept bumping into things. Ended up going to bed that night.

biohead
06-24-2008, 10:31 AM
~40h. never again.

Ethelred
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Bunch of masochists...

A solid 48hrs before. I could go longer, however, I rarely do things that can't have an intermittent nap in between tasks.

One_Hertz
06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
9X hours. Did it a few times. Mostly for fun. It is really not too bad after day 3, everything feels like you are in a dream and nothing is real anymore, but hey you don't feel like dieing and not very tired anymore. I sleep for about 14h after that, longest I ever sleep in my life. I can't sleep over 8-9h in a row normally. Sleeping is such a waste of time that it gets me really mad and I wake up.

twiggy
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
9X hours. Did it a few times. Mostly for fun. It is really not too bad after day 3, everything feels like you are in a dream and nothing is real anymore, but hey you don't feel like dieing and not very tired anymore. I sleep for about 14h after that, longest I ever sleep in my life. I can't sleep over 8-9h in a row normally. Sleeping is such a waste of time that it gets me really mad and I wake up.

My wife and I talk about this alot. I can't sleep more than 5-6 hours a night(every once in a while I'll pull 8 hours) and she needs atleast 10 hours(closer to 12 hours 80% of the time). Noway could I waste that much time sleeping, thats close to half your life that your gonna miss out on lol(plus it'd make me tired all day).

I go to bed last and wake up first everyday.:shrug:

Hidetaka
06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
48h+

</3 5 Exams in 7 days >.<

MikeB12
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
72 hrs - the finale of h e l l w e e k when I was 19yo...no food, no sleep, constant hazing... it was horrible..

last year when I went downhill real fast and got hospitalized for 3 months before transplant; I would go a week or so without sleep before they induced it with sedatives and morphine, but I guess that doesn't count when you're in a hospital bed, terminally ill, and in severe pain; you really don't have a choice about sleep, it just says no... you don't remember any of it but bits and pieces anyway.. so I wouldn't categorize that as a conscious effort to remain awake..

other than that some cram sessions before finals in college, I went a night here an there.
the worst was h e l l w e e k, because of the hunger and constant mental and physical hazing..

Zytek_Fan
06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Mine is about 36 hours. Pretty much felt like death after about 30 hours, and barely kept awake, then fell asleep.

Brave758
06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
lol too :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing long had sensory deprivation training followed by section attacks etc etc. lol i still sware i saw sharps rifles comming over the hill lol

Maverick7
06-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Id say about 30 hours, not much but soon it will be about 3 days, maybe 2.5 days, reason for that is because of Quakecon 2008 ;)

Reznik Akime
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
116 hours. Or so I was told by my friend and brother. They would take turns making sure I didn't fall asleep. I can't remember anything after the fourth day. Or at least I think it was. All I know is that it felt like I was perpetually dreaming. We had a sober graduation thing going on and that's when it started. Hung out there for a bit, went home and loaded up D2 for a long haul. Was about 25 hours when I started that. Got a serious case of the munchies then. Played the hell out of D2, beat it at the fifty some odd hour mark. Did some stuff outside every so many hours. Usually brisk walking. Started playing Doom 3 I think after that. Took 8 hours to beat it, so said the game saves. Was playing on the hardest difficulty without cheating to try and keep my mind active and crap. When daylight broke again, from that point on I only remember going outside and that's really about it. Supposedly I played a few more games here and there. I do remember tripping and bloodying up my nose on the stairs. That woke me up a bit, but that's about it. After that, I really cant remember much else besides crap looking like it was moving when it wasn't. That, and hearing music that wasn't playing. Never seen anything actually form. Not that I remember anyway. Regardless, I was told I passed out, woke back up and went into the bedroom, then slept for about a day and a half.

Needless to say, screw that crap. Never again. Ever since I haven't even been able to go more than 30 hours without hitting rock bottom. Before I did this I could go about 30 frequently.

Kobalt
06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
I think around 21 hours... wake up at 6am for school on a friday morning and go to sleep at 3am Saturday morning. I haven't started college yet, so I'm sure I'll break that 21 hour mark.

STEvil
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
several times 48-60+ ish.

probably half lan related and half work related.

Kai Robinson
06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
heh, i went to bed at 8pm in the end, and woke up at 5:20am....grrr. i wanted MOAR sleep!

G H Z
06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Don't remember exactly but I do remember when it ended, we were about 1 hour south of Portland heading for LA. I was driving with two other people in the car who had been up as long as I had, they fell asleep. Next thing I know my buddy is yelling at me really loud and I woke up in time to see the car was traveling sideways across all the lanes of traffic. We went off the shoulder and somehow I managed to get the car headed back towards the roadway where we skidded to a stop...facing the wrong direction :eek: We pulled over and crashed, woke up sometime the next day.

Hor$eman
06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
On my 6A (Canadian Warrant Officer qual) course in the military (Infantry PPCLI), on defensive week I was awake for 6 days (one small exception - keep reading). If we got caught sleeping, we were booted from the course, and several guys did get on the truck when caught. Being it was a three month course, and with only a couple weeks left, one did not want to fail at that point. My course commander (Major ______ ) was Para, Sniper, Ranger, Pathfinder, you-name-it qualified, toughest SOB I ever met (and had run-ins with) in my life (But that's another story). I did catch a small nap one night I fell asleep while digging a trench. I woke up and thought I was in a grave. Scared the crap outa me. That was it. Man, if we wanted a hot meal, it meant heating up rations (MREs) (was March in Canada, 0c 32f) in your armpit. No sleeping bag, no fire, no heat. It was brutal, but I passed. Since then, I can hardly stay awake for more than three days and I start functioning not so well anymore.

adamsleath
06-25-2008, 12:02 AM
well many times have i stayed awake through 24 hours, but ill usually, if not always sleep the next night or have a nap in the afternoon.
so, not 48 hours but inbetween 24 and 48....more like about 40 tops.
but im always in slow mode so, i cant say my motor skills are very good even at the best of times ;)

ive done a double shift while driving a taxi once which was just over 20 hours straight behind the wheel. my last fare had to keep waking me up :lol: true story.

the only time anyone in my taxi said "i think you should have a rest"...gee thx for the concern there buddy :|

metachronos
06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Around 40 ish hours and it was utter hell. Me and my friends were playing D&D and I was totally nodding off. After that I went to bed @ 7PM saturday and woke up at noon on sunday.

cabbspapp
06-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Somewhere around 48 hours. I can't think of any other time I thought about sleep so much.

Hyperhorn
06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
~35 h
Not difficult, but makes no sense IMO if you have the choice. After some sleep you can concentrate much better and you don't act like a zombie... ;)
REAL hell for me is to get up after 2-3 hours, it happened many times that I shut off the buzzer and didn't notice that.

Der_KHAN
06-26-2008, 12:49 AM
last year when I went downhill real fast and got hospitalized for 3 months before transplant; I would go a week or so without sleep before they induced it with sedatives and morphine, but I guess that doesn't count when you're in a hospital bed, terminally ill, and in severe pain; you really don't have a choice about sleep, it just says no... you don't remember any of it but bits and pieces anyway.. so I wouldn't categorize that as a conscious effort to remain awake..man that sounds horrible, what exactly happened?
Ever since I haven't even been able to go more than 30 hours without hitting rock bottom. Before I did this I could go about 30 frequently.funny, it's the same with me. although i think my longest time without sleep was sub 50hrs.

StyM
06-26-2008, 01:11 AM
76 hours...

alexio
06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
48 hours is normal for me. I'm pretty sure that I've done 7+ days once. You're all a bunch of non-psychotic sissies :D

Omastar
06-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Like 30 hours? And BTW, alexio, you need professional help if you stayed awake for 7 days. ;)

alexio
06-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Like 30 hours? And BTW, alexio, you need professional help if you stayed awake for 7 days. ;)
That was something like 3 years ago. Doing much better now ;)

[XC] gomeler
06-26-2008, 02:38 AM
I've stayed up for ~70 hours before, roughly 3 days straight. I'm currently going on about 30 hours of being awake and plan on being up for another 15 or so. I tend to find myself in bad situations like this all through college :D

2fink
06-26-2008, 03:01 AM
~35 h
Not difficult, but makes no sense IMO if you have the choice. After some sleep you can concentrate much better and you don't act like a zombie... ;)
REAL hell for me is to get up after 2-3 hours, it happened many times that I shut off the buzzer and didn't notice that.

same here, i normally sleep about 7 hours a day, but when i only sleep 2-4 hours it is worse than without sleeping!

Xcel
06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
65h during a GW beta weekend event

vaio
06-26-2008, 07:47 AM
"Whats the longest you've ever stayed awake?"

About 5' 5" :D

wdrzal
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
7 days,no kidding !!!! beat my old record of 6.5 by 1/2 a day.

STEvil
06-26-2008, 11:09 PM
several times 48-60+ ish.

probably half lan related and half work related.

Forgot my first Fragapalooza. 4 days and then some.

GoldiClocks
06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
About 2 hours 45 minutes.. :p:

largon
06-27-2008, 01:46 AM
You people are crazy...
I've never had nor never will have any reason to be awake for more than ~24h.

Omastar
06-27-2008, 01:52 AM
You people are crazy...
I've never had nor never will have any reason to be awake for more than ~24h.

True enough. 30 hours seemed like an incredibly long time to me, and the reason why I couldn't sleep was more psychological than anything (depression, guess it was kind of paradoxical in its manifestation). I hate staying awake that long. 16 hours is long enough to me.

Sparky
06-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Too long. About 36 hours. Sucked.

catsarecute
06-27-2008, 02:33 AM
When a was a kid,i played 26 hours straight at killer instinct.Insane....

Marvin_The_Martian
06-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I been up for 3 days without sleep, but it is not something I can do often due to a 'weak' psychological state I'm in. Makes you more vulnurable for all those little things sleep deprivation can cause ( paranoia, extreme anxiety, restless leg syndrome, concentration loss and memory failures ). I'm currently switching meds and I think I'm now constantly in that state, wanted to loose a med which made me feel moldy ( google translate for 'duf' in dutch idk if it's truelly the right word to use here ) but got one which seems to do more bad then good in the short run atleast.

When a was a kid,i played 26 hours straight at killer instinct.Insane....

Orchid FTW :up:

strange|ife
07-01-2008, 01:03 AM
3 days on a acid trip in 1999

been drug free 5 years now.

on my own will about 35-40 hours.

normally i sleep like a log.

biohead
07-01-2008, 01:47 AM
3 days on a acid trip in 1999

been drug free 5 years now.

on my own will about 35-40 hours.

normally i sleep like a log.

http://www.core77.com/blog/images/image025.jpg

MikeB12
07-01-2008, 01:50 AM
lol, I loved Ren and Stimpy...
log clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHtKarae2Q

and bunch others http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ren+and+stimpy&search_type=&aq=f

Baron
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
72 long hours. :)

ryanmartini
07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
record standing is 6 days straight on redbull / vault / spaghetti and bananas.

Slept for 2.5 days afterwards. After I passed the last exam, I literally fell over sideways and passed out.