PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Paste question.

username1
06-23-2008, 01:48 AM
I have some Artic MX-2 thermal paste.

I was wondering where i can and cant apply it to.

I was hoping to use it on my CPU, SB, NB, Mofset.
Is it safe to do that, and is it safe to use too much ?

zanzabar
06-23-2008, 02:16 AM
mx-2 is safe on everything, and if u do a PWM make sure that u use a vary small amount if u go overboard it can insulate things so just use enough to cover it with a vary thin layer (i like to move the plunger up a small amount so there is a fraction of a mm sticking up then doting it for the pwm)

and mx-2 likes the compression method over spreading, and what board do u have out of curiosity

username1
06-23-2008, 02:39 AM
whats a pwm?
whats a compression method?

I have a 790i

I think ill need to scrape off and re-apply lol i overdid it on the CPU.

lochabar
06-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Don't scrape! use something soft to pull off the excess...get some lint free wipes (can be gotten at a pharmacy for cleaning eye glasses), some alcohol, and some carburetor cleaner. use the carb cleaner on a lint free cloth to clean the rest of the gunk off the heatsink and cpu surfaces then use the alcohol on lint free cloths again and clean over the same surfaces. Oh, and be careful with the carb cleaner....

compression= letting the pressure between the heasink and cpu,( or whatever heat producing source), spread the thermal paste when you tighten down the heatsink.

username1
06-23-2008, 06:41 AM
ok i wont scrap ill use the compression, i have so much on my cpu its rediculous..

Although pulling of the nvidia heatsink shows so much excess on their chipsets.

Ill use a ear-dobber to wipe the outsides up and some micro-fiber / eye-cleaning wipes to get rid of the paste.

I heard bad things about alcohol so i wont use that.

Ill then put a small line and compress the heat sink to apply the paste.

Sound ok?

little_scrapper
06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Isopropyl alcohol is fine as long as its 91% or higher. Rubbing alcohol is bad! Carb cleaner is great but its very dangerous. Its explosively flamable because its ether based, and because its ether, those the fumes can make yo pass out in a heartbeat if your not well ventilated.

zanzabar
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
whats a pwm?
whats a compression method?

I have a 790i

I think ill need to scrape off and re-apply lol i overdid it on the CPU.

the PWM is the little black thing that the mosfet sink covers

and practice on the cpu u only need a small amount the mx-2 tube should do about 20 intel cpu uses or 17-19 amd