PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning EK Supreme

NoobCake
06-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Hey all,

Today, i h ad to go find an Allen Key to pull apart my EK Supreme and get the socket 775 plate onto it instead of the universal one, while i was removing it, i checked the copper block and i saw these black stains or marks... I have used the supreme yet so it can't be from me, so im thinking just when it comes out of being made.. So i got some hot water and a brush, started scrubing it and nothing.. What are my alternatives to cleaning the copper? I also heard Tomato sauce was supposed to work? Also the EK Supreme has heaps of little tiny lines going down in parallel, am i supposed to be scurbing there also?

Thanks Guys :up:

disruptfam
06-22-2008, 05:26 AM
black stains will be oxidation.Tomato sauce works well :)

NoobCake
06-22-2008, 05:31 AM
black stains will be oxidation.Tomato sauce works well :)

fair enough, thanks for that :)

i will try that tomorrow.

Also if you look here: http://www.petrastechshop.com/eksuuncpuwa1.html

Second picture and 3rd picture on the right is the plate with lines im talking about.

When i was brushing the inside, it scratched a little near it, like minor scratches.. is this bad?

disruptfam
06-22-2008, 05:32 AM
the accelerator plate?

no shouldn't be problem.

NoobCake
06-22-2008, 05:39 AM
the accelerator plate?

no shouldn't be problem.

nah not the silver accelerator plate.

Its you know the copper block?

and you see those lines running down? i meant that

RickCain
06-22-2008, 05:51 AM
nah not the silver accelerator plate.

Its you know the copper block?

and you see those lines running down? i meant that

I just took mine apart this weekend and the base was stained by the blue water (zalman stuff). A old tooth brush and some vinigar and all was better.

CCC
06-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I just took mine apart this weekend and the base was stained by the blue water (zalman stuff). A old tooth brush and some vinigar and all was better.

i cleaned mine the exact same way, i made the mistake once to use FluidXP coolant and there was tons of sludge in the block.. a mistake i only made once..

the wife wasnt real happy about me using HER toothbrush though ;) LMAO

oerekum
06-22-2008, 07:44 AM
I have. Different block though. And it was only a very tiny blob (let's say 3×3 mm) after 5 months of 24/7 use. Not too shabby.

CCC
06-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Has anyone had problems with Feser One "sludging up" their block?

actually i went to feser one and i havent had any "sludge" at all so its definately what i will be using from now on

NaeKuh
06-22-2008, 07:59 AM
*sigh*

Noob you havent been listening to me huh?

You need the clear plexitop on the EK if your going to use color or additives. The clear top will allow you to visually inspect the injector without taking your loop apart. This is an UBER bonus, and something i always dreamed and wished for on the Storm series.

Now the injector plate is BAD. Ive been ranting about it, and EK wont fix it. Martin says you should lap the injector and try to smooth it out as much as possible. I just took sand paper and gave the thing a nice lap job on 1000 -1500 - 2000 to try to smooth the plate off. Then i took out those nasty laser scribes and make it clean.

I dont know how much of a performance boost it gave, if it did give any. But it just makes things look nicer expecially now that i dont see those nasty laser marks over the plexitop.

NoobCake
06-23-2008, 01:59 AM
lol... thanks guys... Anything better then vinegar?

But when i was using a toothbrush it like scratched a bit on the copper, like tiny scratches...

Should i use tomato sauce then rinse of with tomato sauce? What do i use while applying this stuff? could i just use a cloth, or does it have to be a toothbrush?

@NaeKuh - Listening to you? im not sure if you have told me about the EK Supreme but you have definitely been helping me. ANyways back to the Reply, yeah i won't be using any colour in my loop because i want to keep it clean, just distilled water and PT_nuke, I just can't justify the $20 for a plexi top simply is because i would always just rather clean it and re do the loop even if it doesn't look dirty. Thanks for your input though. :)

disruptfam
06-23-2008, 02:24 AM
put the tomato sauce on.leave for 10mins

Get a soft toothbrush like a old unsused one.And scrub away.And rinse.

Intern
06-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I recommend using an anti-corrosjon fluid.
Look what my Apogee GTX looked like before (and after) i cleaned it, after one year with the same water.

http://tilmpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pykFLCUgVBQOeWTHfsXCxDEpK-e6Jy2qYYGBnU1NNclDkKi_kP6COp3sb_HOHLflXZpIsFZImDNi yXBb9o_1dWA/IMG_1196_small.jpg (http://tilmpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pykFLCUgVBQOAy1ekfGHXDS8fY9bmf_sUmIrZKKPK6FRuiDC 9-V2-DIBC_efeOkHQeYMRt9Mw7Ry7D6g6B8gijw/IMG_1196.JPG)

No corrosjon :D
The text on the images is in norwegian, and means "Before" and "After", but you kids are so smart today so I bet u'd figured it out urself ;)

oerekum
06-23-2008, 03:24 AM
That's the aluminium top's fault. You don't need anti corrosive if your loop is 100% copper/brass.

Intern
06-23-2008, 03:33 AM
True, but ive got the GTX with the alu-top. I hear everywhere that ppl is complaining about corrosion in the GTX, and they have to clean it once a month. Havnt had a single problem with my GTX, and i think i can thank the anti-corrosion fluid for that.
But even if u have 100% copper, i think it would be safer to atleast have some anti-corrosion fluid in the loop. It ads a nice color aswell, atleast mine does. Check old rig pic in my sig.

NoobCake
06-23-2008, 03:55 AM
Ok this is what im going to try...

Put some tomato sauce on the whole block for 10 mins, scrub it.

Get a bowl with vinegar and leave it in there for 30 mins?

Then rinse with distilled water and hot water?

oerekum
06-23-2008, 04:04 AM
If you didn't get it off with the ketchup/tomato sauce you could try the vinegar I guess. 30 mins might be a bit too long though.

Clue69Less
06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
True, but ive got the GTX with the alu-top. I hear everywhere that ppl is complaining about corrosion in the GTX, and they have to clean it once a month. Havnt had a single problem with my GTX, and i think i can thank the anti-corrosion fluid for that.
But even if u have 100% copper, i think it would be safer to atleast have some anti-corrosion fluid in the loop. It ads a nice color aswell, atleast mine does. Check old rig pic in my sig.

My CPU loop has no Al in it but I run corrosion inhibitor as well. No significant negatives involved in doing so.

aspire.comptech
06-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Regardless of what you add to distilled water, you are decreasing its thermal performance...

ripken204
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Regardless of what you add to distilled water, you are decreasing its thermal performance...

true but a just a little corrosion inhibitor will make the temps go up like what, 1C, lol. for the peace of mind i do it.

Nickel020
06-24-2008, 02:25 AM
If you use vinegar, only use it on the copper block itself. It may kill the washer and will kill acrylic, I know that from experience :( (killed my EK Res by flushing it with water & vinegar, it's all cracks now).

Clue69Less
06-24-2008, 10:27 AM

And I more than make up for it by running two 3x12 and one 2x12 rad in the system. The corrosion inhibitor might cost a fraction of a degree but having a 3x12 dedicated to the CPU alone laughs at a fraction of a degree.