PDA

View Full Version : Laing horiz vs vertical mounting

Anemone
06-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Well this one has gone all over the map, and I'm down to having to decide. Vertical mounting would be a vastly simpler design for me, but I'm uncertain as to what the risks are.

So... Can some folks chime in on whether the Laing DDC's are really strongly better off being horizontally mounted? I'd prefer the vertical design, but I don't need a few dead pumps either.

Thanks for the help!

armeniandave
06-21-2008, 09:32 AM
You can mount them either way. The main thing is to get air around them to keep them relatively cool. The bottom of the DDC pump gets very hot and when people screw them right to the case the heat doesn't really have anywhere to go. I design brackets for these pumps and awhile ago I started designing a bracket that would help mount these pumps vertically and give it some airflow. The 3G pump bracket is what I came up with. It will work for the DDC or the D5 pumps and will let you mount vertically as well as raise the base off the case to give it sufficient airflow. Hope this helps you out. The picture on the bottom shows the D5 because thats what I have modeled in my ProE software but the mounting would be the same.

Dave W
(UN)Designs

armeniandave
06-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Monday they ship to the powdercoaters so I should have them by the end of the week. Sidewinder already preordered them so they will get them as soon as I get them. Are you still using the three that you have?

Anemone where are you gonna mount the pump? Can you give us a picture of your case?

Anemone
06-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Pics not so easy at the moment. But it's a 343b so that's pretty normal around here. The easy vertical plan just involves mounting them to the side of one of the 5.25" mounting columns. It would be very straightforward and res's near the top of the case should insure a good flow to the pumps since they will be lower in the case.

I'd already planned for some offset from the mounting surface to allow for good airflow. I just was looking for some, even general resolution on whether a vertical mounting is rather likely to kill the ddc's over time, in which case I'll find a different way to mount them horizontally. Horiz mounts for 343's are done a lot, just means I have to reallocate space since I've filled up much of the rest of the case.

No worries, just some input is needed.

Thank you.

armeniandave
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Just make sure the pump is well away from the side wall. The bottoms get very hot and that is why I believe they sometimes fail. Lots of people just mount them to the side and the heat gets trapped and in my opinion will shorten the life of the pump. Thats why you hear people say there D5 is more reliable than the DDC's are in general. As for vertical or horizontal it really doesn't matter. I experimented with all kinds of different positions when I was designing my bracket and they all worked the same. Just keep the pump cool and you'll be fine..