PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the page file

Bladesinger7x
06-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I have two disks, a brand new Samsung (HD642JJ-SATA2) and a 3-year old Hitachi (HDS722516VLSA80-SATA1)

Samsung/ Hitachi comparison

Burst speed: 235 MB/s / 125 MB/s
Random access: 13.6ms / 15.3ms
Average read: 94.7 MB/s / 49.2 MB/s

Where should I place the windows page file for the best performance?
On Samsung as a 2. partition or on Hitachi (also on 2. partition).

Soulburner
06-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Keep a 50MB paging space on the Windows drive.

Put the rest of it on the drive that will be infrequently accessed, or storage drive. Make both minimum and maximum the same.

Hockster
06-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Vista or XP?

http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_6.htm

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks5.htm

Pudi
06-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Just install SuperSpeed RamDisk Plus v9.0 and use 512MB or 1GB of your ram, to create software Ram Disk, and than put your page file on it, it makes your Vista 100% faster :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/pudi/Untitled-1.jpg

XS Janus
06-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Disable it altogether.
:)

Serra
06-21-2008, 03:02 AM
@Pudi: What were your computer specs at the time you ran that benchmark? I'm going to have to give that software a shot and make the most of my 8GB of RAM when I'm not doing anything memory intensive (though the CPU utilization is *scary*).

Pudi
06-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Strange no idea why CPU utilization is so high, it goes to 50% ONLY during HDTach random access time test, but never in normal windows use, maybe because my CPU is pentium D820 :rolleyes: and at the moment I'm using 1.6GB RamDisk partition, 1GB for the windows page file, and 600MB for the most used programs Safari, winamp etc gives a nice kick to Vista even with 4GB of ram. Oh and I'm using some cheap transcend 2x2GB ram 533mhz Yes DDR2 533Mhz :D

A quote from superspeed site

The RAM disk appears like a physical hard disk to the operating system and programs. You choose its size (depending on the amount of RAM in your system), drive letter, and file system. You can copy, move and delete files on it. Like a physical disk, a RAM disk can also be shared so as to be accessed by other computers on a network.
You can manually save the RAM disk’s contents to an image file, or have the contents saved automatically when the computer is shutdown. This feature ensures that service and application data stored on the RAM disk can be preserved between system restarts. During the subsequent system start-up, the disk's image is automatically loaded. A "live" RAM disk image may be backed up even with open handles to the volume. A RAM disk viewer lets you load image files as read-only devices.

m^2
06-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Just install SuperSpeed RamDisk Plus v9.0 and use 512MB or 1GB of your ram, to create software Ram Disk, and than put your page file on it, it makes your Vista 100% faster :D

Another person who doesn't know what page file is for, but tweaks it perfectly.
FYI: page file is used to store things that don't fit in RAM. So reducing amount of your RAM in order to move there things that would not fit otherwise...is a bad idea.
If your system works with pf on a ram drive, disable pf entirely, like XS Janus advised.