PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Overclock on Quadro NVS 110M

kevinbo03
06-18-2008, 12:58 AM
So a friend of mine lent me his old laptop to let me try it before i buy it, And of course, I tried overclocking it. No luck with the CPU, But it's a 2Ghz C2D, So it's already pretty decent. The Memory was 2gb 667, And the only thing lacking IMO was the video card, A Quadro NVS 110M. I put Battlefield 2 on to it just for kicks, And found it actually ran pretty well at 1024x768 at low setting with %100 view distance (Around 50-80 fps).

I then got on riva tuner, And started cranking up the Mhz from the stock 300/600.

i kept going... And going... And going... And got to this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/62g3z/

450Mhz is the MAX I could do with a rivatuner, And the Memory wouldn't be stable beyond 770. I went from 48 to 80 fps in ATITool, And I'm now playing BF2 in Medium settings with Geometry at high at 1440x900 resolution, pulling 28-40 fps. The GPU is hitting 96C, But it was hitting 90C before at stock.

Well, I will never underestimate the overclocking capability of laptops again. :rofl:

ziddey
07-18-2008, 03:25 PM
if you do buy it, try some better thermal compound on your gpu. maybe will help bring it down a little

G0ldBr1ck
07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I picked up a second lappie to play with and im in the middle of trying to figure out how to oc the C2D but I was amazed with the 8400m in it it OC'd completly stable to 600/core 551/ram up from 400/400 thats a massive jump and it never gets above 48deg. 126 average FPS in ATItool.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/h9bp8/

Loaded COD4 and it plays smooth with a few settings above min.

Lestat
07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
cheese and rice ... 90+ celcius!!

that cant be right dude unless the video card is a naken die... the gpu would have died by now (or you have brought it to the brink of death) and your hands would have been on fire ( can guarentee that, your hands would have been just blazing hot).

i have a 8600M GT clocked to hell i dont recall but its clocked alot higher than default ;) and it never gets above 55c EVER it idles at 45c.

RPA
07-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Yea, todays Nvidia mobile GPU's have a lot of overclocking head room. I don't think I would play games like that though.....unless there was a good warranty on it.

dunn2953
07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Yea, todays Nvidia mobile GPU's have a lot of overclocking head room. I don't think I would play games like that though.....unless there was a good warranty on it.

well since ur new here i wont be the one to give u the what it takes to break parts lecture...i tend to be a little bit of an ass...but trust me someone will.(hint voltage/mods).

anways the reason these cards have to much headroom is because they are clocked far down from their capabilities, so as to use less power and preserve battery life. it just surprises me that nvidia doesnt lower the voltage like ati does so that they can run using even less power and prevent people from overclocking to this extent.

RPA
07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
well since ur new here i wont be the one to give u the what it takes to break parts lecture...i tend to be a little bit of an ass...but trust me someone will.(hint voltage/mods).

anways the reason these cards have to much headroom is because they are clocked far down from their capabilities, so as to use less power and preserve battery life. it just surprises me that nvidia doesnt lower the voltage like ati does so that they can run using even less power and prevent people from overclocking to this extent.

Huh? I've been here a lot longer than you have. I just don't post very often. I'll just leave it at that because your poor typing skills are annoying.

Roliath
07-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Huh? I've been here a lot longer than you have. I just don't post very often. I'll just leave it at that because your poor typing skills are annoying.

Lurkers Represent!

I don't post here that often either.

eXceeded
09-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I've got my 9600M GT (GDDR2) from 400/1200/400 to 720/1900/575 :O so these laptop GPUs overclock beautifully. I just want to overclock the CPU now though but no tool seems to be able to do it and bios is obv locked down to hell.