PDA

View Full Version : MicroSD Wifi card

[XC] Synthetickiller
06-17-2008, 11:31 AM
http://i28.tinypic.com/25hl64x.jpg

I know this isn't cutting edge, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I wish it was smaller, you can't keep the cover on your microSD slot.

I do find it hard to buy the microSD. Amazon has the miniSD.

I thought this was a good idea for anyone w/ a smartphone that doesn't have wifi (THANKS FOR NOTHING FCC!).

http://www.spectec.com.tw/products_detal.asp?dptype=w1sdw823

Lestat
06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
if a wifi card the size of your pinky nail isnt cutting edge, brother i don't know what is.

man that thing is crazy.

i wish though they would list the output power and proper receive sensativity listing.

i cant imagine output power being more than 10-20mw...

also dont forget that only phones that have onboard drivers for whatver chipset is being used will actually support that little thing.
otherwise it wouldnt work. (looks like it supports windows CE 4-5.)

and what phone support USB devices via the MicroSD card slot. none that i have ever heard of but i dont go searching phone technology.

i'd say its going to be a while, if at all that we see phones be able to use this.

[XC] Synthetickiller
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I really want one for my blackjack II b/c there's no wifi built in.

Lestat
06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
yuck i poop on blackjacks lol.
as long as you got a pda phone and an internet connection on it, setup your email client to go to your regular email server and there ya go.

[XC] Synthetickiller
06-17-2008, 02:16 PM
yuck i poop on blackjacks lol.
as long as you got a pda phone and an internet connection on it, setup your email client to go to your regular email server and there ya go.

Where I work has wifi, so I don't see a need to pay for mobile internet (saves me a lot of cash). 70 bucks now, 0 bucks later.:up:

Tulatin
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Where I work has wifi, so I don't see a need to pay for mobile internet (saves me a lot of cash). 70 bucks now, 0 bucks later.:up:

I feel you on that one. I get 4mb a month. 4! and if I want more data? $2 a gig after that. Wifi would greatly cut that down, since if you're using your phone for city navigation, when aren't you in range of a connection?

Cupcake
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
When these came out in normal SD size a few years ago they were $450 and they stuck out an extra inch

I wonder how much these ones cost

Quest_7F
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I am impressed. Although I wouldnt even obtain a smartphone that didnt have wifi. It would be cool if the antenna was actually like those cell phone booster sticker devices, and was adhesive on the back of the phone or near battery. Then you could close the msd slot.

zanzabar
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
the problem is that most smartphones cant use the device cards and can only do storage only, unless they have wifi already

[XC] Synthetickiller
06-18-2008, 06:07 AM
When these came out in normal SD size a few years ago they were $450 and they stuck out an extra inch

I wonder how much these ones cost

Its $150 here.

http://www.elite-electronix.com/product_info.php?products_id=827&language=en&cPath=193

Not sure how legit the site is. I did find a link (can't find it again), that had the device for 70 bucks, but you ordered a phone w/ it. I am not sure if you could just order the microsd card by itself.

p0tter
06-18-2008, 03:20 PM
This would be great for my iphone!!

wait.. I already have wi-fi and 16gb of storage.... laughs at blackjack owners.

Had to say something with all the negative iphone comments.

[XC] Synthetickiller
06-18-2008, 06:59 PM

wait.. I already have wi-fi and 16gb of storage.... laughs at blackjack owners.

Had to say something with all the negative iphone comments.

THANKS!!!!!!!! I own a black jack you bastard! I'm just playing.....

I came across this by mistake looking for a cheap way to get internet on my BJ. Now I just need to find a place that has them in stock.

ZOMGVTEK
06-18-2008, 07:09 PM

Soo....

Where are you plugging this in?

I dont recall the iPhone having a expansion slot of any kind.

They really need to throw iChat Mobile on that thing, make it thinner and run for 10+ hours...

Then i might get one.

K3nii
06-19-2008, 03:20 AM
i thought the iphone already had wifi built in

FlawleZ
07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
That's a convenient wifi solution. Surely this will work with my Blackberry 8300?

[XC] Synthetickiller
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Flawlez,

If you can find one, let us know. I have been busy and haven't looked, but I can't find one for sale anywhere.

ymer
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow thats impressive