PDA

View Full Version : is too much studying bad?

tdunks
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Is studying too much (8 hrs+ a day) for exams for a week and a half for 3 highschool exams bad for you? If it is can anyone find studies backing this? Thanks!

Frisch
06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
It's a "bit" complicated subject, and the answer is both yes and no.

Your brain is absorbing much more energy than your muscles.

Noob-ftw
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm pumping out about 6 hours a day for the past few days for my University level Calculus, Physics and Religion courses. I'm studying a lot so I can maintain my scholarship at Carleton for engineering next year.

Anyways, I recommend taking 20 minute breaks in between your sessions, and remember to review, not learn. You should have learned all your stuff throughout the semester, so just do some of the homework problems and redo all your tests and you should be fine.

My last exam starts at 11:45AM on Friday :shakes:

Good luck!

Xel'Naga
06-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm and EECS major. One more year to go. I have about 8 EE/CS and 2-3 other school electives PER SEMESTER.
So you imagine that I spend more than 12h/day studying, get very little sleep and I've spend more than 30h working non-stop, at times.
During my finals I spent a week with less than 3-4h/day of sleep and only leaving my room to go to the exams(8 of them in 1 week:D).

Is this bad for me? YES!!
Symptoms:
1. I'm ALWAYS extreamly tired. At any time of day I can go to bed and sleep for 20+h if I don't set my alarm clock
2. Various health problems, hair loss, hemmoroids during mids and finals (I'm 21, by the way...)

You might wonder if it's worth it. For me, YES.
I come from Romania, but study in Germany. My father, who lives in Romania, is a one of the best in the world in fuzzy analysis, neural networks, genetic algorithms, etc and he still can't afford a decent living(he drives a 20+ year old car than breaks down every month and can't afford a new one...). I'm not gonna be like that, even if college and the next few years are complete hell.
And is already paying off. Right now I work with a top 5 car manufacturer, implementing their auto-pilot system. Don't ask me how far are we, I'm under 20 pages of NDA:D

s1nykuL
06-17-2008, 01:55 AM
I managed to stuff a 2 year 'C' Applications programming course into 6 months by studying 15-18 hours a day, including Saturdays. Sundays and the occasional odd day here and there were used to get drunk and party or just relax with a few computer games. I coded on a PC and gamed on an Amiga. The exams I passed were: Computers and Computing, Programming Design Techniques, Programming in 'C', Systems Analysis and Data Processing. This was a City and Guilds level III certification taken in the early 90's before NVQ's existed. The only harm caused, if it can be called that, is my still existing addiction to very, very strong coffee. I was in my early thirties at the time. Despite all that effort I never did become a programmer.:rolleyes:

I am older now and still studying, I have a CISSP exam toward the end of the year. Although now I find I need to take longer breaks between the studies, it takes longer for my brain to assimilate the information.

MomijiTMO
06-17-2008, 02:11 AM
WTH? I studied like 3 hours a day in high school so why are you trying to study so much?

As for uni, well 8 hours is nothing when exams are close lol.

tdunks
06-17-2008, 02:21 AM
its not me its my girlfriend. Her parents are a teacher and a principal. They are making her study pretty much all day for 3 exams...grade 10 English Spanish and applied math. Her dad basically said that until monday (her last 2 exams) she cant see any friends or do anything..

[XC] riptide
06-17-2008, 04:52 AM
I'd be dumping her....

MomijiTMO
06-17-2008, 05:00 AM
I'm ditching you because I couldn't see you over the weekend.

lol

Gautam
06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Is too much studying bad? Can there even be such a thing as too much studying? I'd probably say no to both from personal experience. Your gf's parents are acting in her best interests, and like it or not, keeping her couped up in her room for a week is probably going to do a lot more good for her than harm in the long run. Hard work always brings fruits in one form or another, even if for nothing besides building character.

Good luck trying to find studies to challenge that tho. :p:

biohead
06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
riptide;3068219']I'd be dumping her....

too superficial.

but really, how old is your girlfriend, 14? she needs to learn to stand up to her parents. 3 or 4 hours per day is all your brain can really be focused. 8 hours per day is a waste of time, and very stressful. your brain needs rest to put everything into perspective. stress is bad, and effectively her parents are only pulling her grades down. they should know better :shrug:

Shadowmage
06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Is studying too much (8 hrs+ a day) for exams for a week and a half for 3 highschool exams bad for you? If it is can anyone find studies backing this? Thanks!

This is pretty average for a good student.

If you don't care about academics and want a mediocre life, then yes this is bad for your mediocre life goal.

trance565
06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
you shouldnt ahve to study more than 3-4 hours for a highschool exam total imo. just study the weekend before teh exams, or 2 or 3 days before hand, and study for maybe 3-5 hours per exam.

8+ hours a day for a week and a half is what people do for their finals in college.

and isnt applied math one of those classes you take when algebra/algebra2/pre cal is too hard for you?

Jowy Atreides
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM

I have no figures at hand *sic*

Although I'm experienced enough to have tricks and stuff that can help tremendously come exam time
I've spent a large portion of my life studying

10 gcses,
5 highers (A-levels in england),
5 advanced highers,
and hnd in games programming,
a grade 8 in music theory and performance,
business degree,
learned 4 languages

Solid studying decreases your concentration; it's so mind-numbingly monotonous.
When learning Japanese I was just piling into work and excercises for 5+ hours.
By even as short a time as the next day I had only vague recollections even some of the basic concepts:eek:

do maybe 3 hours a day and break it up
two 1 hour sessions and two half hour sessions - whatever works for you :up:

it also helps if you mix things up as much as possible for associative learning,
use different colour pens, different books, different rooms, maybe even different pcs

Try learning books, learning aids etc by cutesy, shorthand names

When you're in the exam you just have to draw back the colour your subject is in and the situation to remember the course material

like Accounts for me was green text, bedroom pc, low light.
As soon as the exam hit I could verse out monstrously large P/L accounts and a balance sheets from memory (quite a feat sice I missed all but 1 class)

good luck with your exams! :up:

comrad
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I have no figures at hand *sic*

Although I'm experienced enough to have tricks and stuff that can help tremendously come exam time
I've spent a large portion of my life studying

10 gcses,
5 highers (A-levels in england),
5 advanced highers,
and hnd in games programming,
a grade 8 in music theory and performance,
business degree,
learned 4 languages

Solid studying decreases your concentration; it's so mind-numbingly monotonous.
When learning Japanese I was just piling into work and excercises for 5+ hours.
By even as short a time as the next day I had only vague recollections even some of the basic concepts:eek:

do maybe 3 hours a day and break it up
two 1 hour sessions and two half hour sessions - whatever works for you :up:

it also helps if you mix things up as much as possible for associative learning,
use different colour pens, different books, different rooms, maybe even different pcs

Try learning books, learning aids etc by cutesy, shorthand names

When you're in the exam you just have to draw back the colour your subject is in and the situation to remember the course material

like Accounts for me was green text, bedroom pc, low light.
As soon as the exam hit I could verse out monstrously large P/L accounts and a balance sheets from memory (quite a feat sice I missed all but 1 class)

good luck with your exams! :up:
Wow, that is awesome advice.

Thanks!