PDA

View Full Version : DSLR advice

JacobN
06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
To the point, I'm thinking of entering the realm of DSLR's, up to this point I've had 2 P&S cameras(3 actually but one was stolen lol, onwards) One was some Olympus and the one I have currently is a S5 IS. So after 5 years of digital P&S cameras, I was thinking of upgrading to a DSLR as I stated before. I know those of you who frequent this forum mainly prefer Nikon cameras for whatever reason..

None the less I've been looking at a 450D and a 40D, both well within my budget... The price here in Denmark for the 450D is around $950 and the 40D is $1460, although Canon has a $200 cashback thing going on that.(Prices for body only)

So my question is, would the 40D be worth the extra $300 with it's better AF, most likely better ergonomics, longer battery life etc. versus the 12 MP of the 450D? And I will be going to the local camera shop sometime this week and try to convince them to let me try holding them to see what suits me. Only concern I have about the 40D is the fact that it's heavier and that I'm a skinny, not very strong person.

As for a lens to go with these, I'm not sure if a kit lens would be fine or whatever, but I suppose for starters I would need a lens suitable for 'general purpose'? I'm not really sure what to go for there, to just get a camera with a kit lens or go with something else, budget for a separate lens would be the same as the price of the 40D since I know semi-decent to decent glass doesn't come cheap.(Max price range comparable to 17-55 EF-S F2.8 and 24-105L EF F4.0)

And sorry for making this lengthy and carefully stating prices, but it's because I know there is a large price difference between the States and here because of taxes etc... And more info usually means better advice? *shrugs* Anyway...

Nate P.
06-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Grab a 40D and the 17-55 f/2.8. Done. That is a KILLER setup.

YugenM
06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Have you gone to a camera store and tried holding both cameras?

I'd go for the 40D.

JacobN
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Not yet, I was planning on going today, but project work at university took longer than expected, tomorrow I hope will go smoother, and so I should be able to go have... Feel? But yes, definitely doing that before making any final decision.

Metric
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Grab a 40D and the 17-55 f/2.8. Done. That is a KILLER setup.
I'd go with the 24-105 L with the fact that it's a EF mount, since the 17-55mm EF-S will lose its use if he upgrades the camera body to a full-frame down the line.

JacobN
06-18-2008, 10:16 AM
So I went to the shop yesterday, the 40D is an awesome piece of hardware, I must say that, and I'm definitely be getting that one, any word on the lens though? I sense a slight disagreement here (Note that I just mentioned those two to give a maximum price wise, anything at that price or below is an option)

Soulburner
06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd go with the 24-105 L with the fact that it's a EF mount, since the 17-55mm EF-S will lose its use if he upgrades the camera body to a full-frame down the line.
Makes no sense. Why would you limit your wide end now with a mismatched lens in the hopes you can use it in the future? If he goes full frame in the future he'll buy the lens he needs then, not now.

There is a huge difference between having a 27mm and a 38mm wide angle.

Nate P.
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Yep, and the nice thing is, lenses generally hold their value so he can sell the EF-S later for very close to what he bought it for.

Metric
06-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Makes no sense. Why would you limit your wide end now with a mismatched lens in the hopes you can use it in the future? If he goes full frame in the future he'll buy the lens he needs then, not now.

There is a huge difference between having a 27mm and a 38mm wide angle.
Soulburner: I agree, makes sense. I guess I personally haven't worked with enough lenses to know really the difference/benefits yet of going with a certain model. (still stuck on kit). So in this case, the 17-55mm seems to be fine.

Nate: That's true, forgot that lenses hold their value a bit longer than other items around here.

tetete
06-22-2008, 06:24 AM
not nikon this time,

I recommend SONY

no matter you are rich or poor, you can found your solution. (with old M lenses)

JacobN
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
So... I received the 40D and the lens yesterday, and I must say I'm very much impressed, only bad things about it is that everything(Including my keyboard, headset, laptop etc.) now feels too much like plastic.

Oh well, great advice guys, thanks all, sadly there are less happy personal matters to attend to, so I won't be posting any pictures in the threads on here anytime soon...

theYipster
06-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Congrats on your purchase. You'll have a wonderful time with that camera and the 17-55/2.8 IS is truly a wonderful lens. As many have said, the only reason it's not an L is because it's an EF-S mount. Otherwise it's right up there with the 24-105, 24-70, and the like.