PDA

View Full Version : Xp Loading Issues

XtremeBawls
06-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I have recently been having problems with my computer freezing up while loading Windows. (Sometimes it freezes while the Loading Logo is faintly visible and sometimes it freezes right after the Loading Logo goes away) I have also had some problems installing Ubuntu; it will almost finish installing and then give me various errors(can't remember what the errors were). I decided it was a hard drive issue so i bought a new hdd and moved stuff around and it still had problems. Now i am not sure what to decide on as the issue and would like some educated opinions instead of just my own. Thanks for any help.

My current computer setup is in my sig.

Lu523
06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Do you have your rig overclocked? If so that might be the problem.

XtremeBawls
06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I did not when the problem started but then i put a small oc on it and ran the actual 2.1 volts to my ram along with the oc instead of just running everything auto. Right now I am @3.6 1600 fsb and it doesnt seem to cause any extra problems, but i put the oc on thinking maybe the ram wasn't getting enough volts.

XtremeBawls
06-15-2008, 07:44 AM
This problem is puzzling me because once i am into windows it is fine, I have run two instances of p95 (one small and one large) for about 6 hours and its stable that way. I ran memtest for a short amount of time but should probably let it run for a good amount of time to be sure. I was wondering if this could possibly be a sp3 issue? or does it seem more of a hardware issue than software? I put my oc back to auto for now except im still running the 2.1 volts to my ram.

XtremeBawls
06-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Well i ran memtest again and found out my RAM is toasted. W/in 5 minutes i had over 600 errors and counting so new ram is in order and hopefully this is what has been causing me all of the headaches.

Lloyd
06-16-2008, 04:02 AM
EDIT: Just seen above RAM issues, if u still have an issue see below ...

can u try a different SATA controller for the HD?

Lu523
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I hate to hear your ram is bad. Been there and done that. Can you rma it?

XtremeBawls
06-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes, i believe i will be able to send it back to Corsair, i haven't had it for a very long time, but i don't like it anyway, so when i get it back I am going to use it in another rig and get 4gigs of Mushkin DDR2 1066. This will be the second thing I've replaced to fix my problems with my computer, so i am hoping this is the correct problem. I am for sure that my ram is bad though, so it would make sense that it is what is causing the problems. Luckily the hard drive being the other thing i replaced isn't such a terrible thing to have extra of on hand anyway. But my computer is up to a terabyte and a half now so that is always fun to fill up.:D And I always appreciate the help:up:

Serpentarius
06-16-2008, 05:40 PM
check out your RAM ... sometimes ... loose RAMs might be problematic when XP is calculating the RAM size

take out your RAM .. use an eraser (not pen eraser) ... and lightly scrub on the copper surface to remove some oxidisation ...
careful not to scrub too long or too hard .. briefly shall do ..

this works with pci or pci-e .. if your system got too old or in wet countries

XtremeBawls
06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Well i am not worried about it not being clean as my system is almost spotless except for the small amount of dust and i did check it to make sure its clean and it is.(But i could see why you would recommend that and the help is appreciated.) I am planning to send it back and i ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146785 tonight. If problems persist when the new stuff arrives I will consult all you amazing people at XS again.:clap: