PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with my D975XBX2!

Seas
06-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey Forum!

This is my first pc that I'm building for my project studio. I've been working on it for the pass few months (off and on) but now my current pc died so I'm trying to finish it up! :)

When I first fired up my new D975XBX2 using the Q6600 cpu, I loaded Win XP 64 just fine! However, after about 15 to 20 minutes it shut down from overheating. I was using the Big Typhoon (BT) for my cooler and the Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound. After I was having issues with overheating using the BT, I decided to put Intel's stock cooler on the Q6600 and it failed even sooner. After a few more attempts it died altogether!

So after talking to Intel's tech support for like 1 hour, we returned the mb. I got the new mb back and I STILL had issues, only this time worse! It wouldn't even see the HD with the OS installed AND it would shut down even quicker (like 1 min or less.) I also would get a scren with "Microsoft" spelled like 100 times all over like the desktop.

I thought that maybe some of the Tuniq TX-2 got on the Q6600 processor. After another call to tech support, they decided to have me send it back so I got ANOTHER Q6600. After the new Q6600 came, I loaded it and decided to boot off the OS cd and reload XP64. It STILL shuts down approximate 1 minute after booting during the beginning 30 secs of loading the OS. :mad:

So today I'm getting ready to clean out the cpu and the slot with some Control Contact Cleaner to see if that helps. After that I'll fire it up again and see if the stock cooler works. My guess is that it won't.

So what s causing the problem if it isn't the procssor, or the cooler? Below are a few questions I wanted to ask the forum.

1. Am I getting too much voltage from my Corsair 620 HX? If so, how do I regulate that?

2. Is my video card causing the problem? I'm using the ASUS EN7600GS Silent, which on Newegg's site, people say that it runs hot and Idles at 60C-68C, runs games at 75C-85C (minimal chassis cooling) & 65C-70C (with full chassis cooling on).

3. I could try resetting the CMOS?

Anyway any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

gundam789
06-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Whats your cpu temperature and gpu temp. when the pc shuts down?
If its shut down wile on the desktop i doubt its the graphic card , unless its defective or the fan on it its not even working.
I have that same mobo and PSU so i doubt its the PSU.
I suggest you download speedfan and monitor the temps

Seas
06-14-2008, 07:54 AM
When I could get into my BIOS my CPU was 50C... give or take. Now I can't get into the BIOS for more than a few secs before the system shuts down.

Jamie

gundam789
06-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I have never owned a quad core ,so i am not to familiar with the idle temps on this cpu`s.
I know that they tend to run a little hotter then most cpu , but 50C at idle is a little to high.
My old pentium D , wich are known to run hot, idles at 42C on that motherboard.
But still 50C is not high enough to cause sytem crashes or not allowing you to enter the bios.
I honestly do not think its a problem with your cpu.
My suggestion remove the motherboard from the case , make sure you have everything plugged in properly from your PSU to the motherboard.
Then try and run the PC barebone and see what happens.
You also might want to try a different graphic card and PSU just to make sure.
If i where you i would also run memtest to eb certain nothing wrong with the memory.
Also set the bios to default settings.
And what memory are you using ?
I can assure you the motherboard is good i have 2 of them and never had a problem with them.
Altough the bios on this motherboard unless you upgraded has a few issues, sometimes it tends to freeze for some reason at sock settings.

Seas
06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks gundam789 for your reply! :)

I'll go over it in detail this coming week. Hopefully I can get it up and running soon. :D

Jamie