PDA

View Full Version : WC forums turning into casemod forums?

Jimmer411
06-13-2008, 03:42 AM
What happend to all the in depth watercooling discussions? Seems like everything is now case modding, which isnt a bad thing by any means. :confused::confused:

inCore
06-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Perhaps people feel that everything has already been asked and answered and that everything which hasn't will be looked down upon by people who know. Personally I don't mind the trend, it's more accessible to more people, the specific questions are often too complicated or specific for most people to understand so they just skip it.

leo_bsb
06-13-2008, 03:53 AM
I do not agree. I opened the forums this morning and I could count 4 threads on the first page about watercooled cases builds.
All other posts were about blocks, best fans for rad, pumps and related parts.
I think the build logs are very good information on placing parts, assembly, etc and it is not only casemodding . Just my $0.02

septim
06-13-2008, 04:14 AM
its usually when there is a new block/rad/pump that we discuss for a while, test it to the max, have someone generous to sponsor martin that part test it, then discuss how best to put it in your loop/case...

example gtx480, after a few weeks in the market, we have martin test it to see how it performs vs a pa120.3, we decide that its good coupled with medium or higher speed fans, then now we discuss on best where to put it in your case... radbox, top mount, bottom side mount, custom case mount a wing or 2 wings of gtx480 (martin?) or ask Naekuh where he'll mount both of his gtx480s, but certainly not in the front of a case mount...

RockfordFosgate
06-13-2008, 04:15 AM
I agree..

BlueAqua
06-13-2008, 04:20 AM
I think it's mostly because this forum is lacking a build section which necessarily isn't a bad thing. I do like to see people's builds, what parts they chose and how they used them. I think they're especially useful when they do something different where they had to get some part from Mcmaster Carr and are able to list part numbers to give ideas to others.

I say, keep it coming, I'm always interested in reading other people's experiences in the watercooling forum. I'd like to see it very active and challenge me to read them all.

lyl
06-13-2008, 04:53 AM
I say, keep it coming, I'm always interested in reading other people's experiences in the watercooling forum. I'd like to see it very active and challenge me to read them all.

Right, i think the builds here are more based around the WC aspect rather than the case modding. Which helps other people of the same, 'style' if you will

WC discussion still happens a lot as far as i can tell. Maybe its that WC build log's are updated & bumped to the top of the list more often than the smaller discussions which eventually die down

IDK im still fairly new here (to posting at least... long time lurker :p:)

Edit: I would definatly support a WC Casemod/Build Log subforum under Liquid Cooling though. I think that would be a great idea.

Kayin
06-13-2008, 06:09 AM
And here I am detailing lost wax casting a waterblock.

Man, I got the wrong forum.

Arkangyl
06-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I'd agree with others on this, when something new comes out it gets talked about, otherwise there's not much to do but kick some dead horses in the tummy.

Also: considering that the only cases that are XS-WC ready out of the box are the Mountain Mods, case builds (how to cram everything in) are as integral a part of watercooling conversation as block dynamics. How loops are setup & where everything gets placed are really the most debatable thing left in watercooling.

ls206
06-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Surely case modding is a part of watercooling?
although saying that, I agree with lyl that a sub section wouldn't go amiss

septim
06-13-2008, 07:04 AM
there is already a thread in the main forums for case modding/building. no need to add another sub forum here in liquid cooling section...

maybe our title should be "Liquid Cooling Section: Parts Discussions & Bonus Case Mods for Liquid Cooling Included Too"...

madmaxx
06-13-2008, 07:28 AM
isn't watercooling itself a mod?

i mean 99% of w/c systems require modding so they go hand in hand

don't complain just enjoy the show :D

DarthBeavis
06-13-2008, 07:32 AM
I'd agree with others on this, when something new comes out it gets talked about, otherwise there's not much to do but kick some dead horses in the tummy.

Also: considering that the only cases that are XS-WC ready out of the box are the Mountain Mods, case builds (how to cram everything in) are as integral a part of watercooling conversation as block dynamics. How loops are setup & where everything gets placed are really the most debatable thing left in watercooling.

don't forget DD cases . . .the ONLY case on the market built around the BI GTX 480!!!! And when they release a 600 rad . . .

PuppY_K1ck3R
06-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Just let people keep posting their cases in this FORUM...

Haven't any of you people heard the old saying "A Picture Tells A Thousand Words" ....

Some people, like myself, are visual/kinesthetic learners (ie. learn from looking and touching). The work logs actually help people like myself learn @ WaterCooling and the shortcuts.

I agree. Its visual learning that keeps me coming back here.

Xilikon
06-13-2008, 08:24 AM
I do agree it would be a good idea to have a worklogs sub-forum here since this often clutter the lc forum. However, I do agree that case modding is often part of watercooling (look at my project, I needed to do extensive case modding to house watercooling).

Shocker003
06-14-2008, 04:59 AM
If the admin creats sub forums under watercooling( all about rads, all about waterblocks and so on and so fort), it will go a long way to help members out in finding solutions or knowing where to post the problem they encounter in the builds. At times i do search for posts with my problem but nothing comes up and if i were the shy type maybe i woun´t post my problem after that. Example bleeding has always been a pain in the ar...se for most members but most people feel it will make them look stupid when they post or ask for help with their bleeding. How will you feel, when you have over six hundred posts on your sig and you have ask where to place your res or how to bleed you loop. The admin guys should give it a thot cos there are so many people out there that will like to watercool their rigs but are too scared to come in and ask for help cos the first question might make most of us roll over laughing. It´s just from my point of view maybe someone can use better words to point out what am trying to say.

Xilikon
06-14-2008, 10:22 AM
If the admin creats sub forums under watercooling( all about rads, all about waterblocks and so on and so fort), it will go a long way to help members out in finding solutions or knowing where to post the problem they encounter in the builds. At times i do search for posts with my problem but nothing comes up and if i were the shy type maybe i wounīt post my problem after that. Example bleeding has always been a pain in the ar...se for most members but most people feel it will make them look stupid when they post or ask for help with their bleeding. How will you feel, when you have over six hundred posts on your sig and you have ask where to place your res or how to bleed you loop. The admin guys should give it a thot cos there are so many people out there that will like to watercool their rigs but are too scared to come in and ask for help cos the first question might make most of us roll over laughing. Itīs just from my point of view maybe someone can use better words to point out what am trying to say.

Show me those who roll over laughing at n00bs questions and I'll :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:slap them and do a roundhouse kick to make them shut up. Most people I see here doesn't make fun of those who are new in the watercooling scene and myself, when I was a n00b (everyone gonna start somewhere), I was feeling welcomed here and this make a great place. Those who make fun of n00bs are idiots...

mrmaigo
06-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Shocker003: I've yet to see anyone get an a'hole response for asking ANY question. Even when someone soaked his block in ketchup for 2 days, no one tore him a new one. We're all liquid cooled on the inside :rofl:

+1

lyl
06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
We're all liquid warmed on the inside
fix't :lol:

mrmaigo
06-14-2008, 11:29 AM
fix't :lol:

Liquid cooled on the outside, sorry :ROTF:

LogAn'sRun
06-14-2008, 04:52 PM
well, OP does have a point. I remember that when I first joined here that there was almost no case logs in the WC section, and that was only a year ago. I even asked an admin where I should put a worklog if I was interested and he/she said either here or under computer cases. I think Computer Cases is a very broad category just like this one is, so somewhere could do with a build log sub forum. But here there are more than 70% threads asking about WC and WC discusions.
Perhaps what you miss is all the flaming that was going on a while ago between some antsy [H] members and XS members. I personally don't miss it.
@kayin, of course you should post that here! It's fanatstic seeing creativity in members. Keep it up!

Movieman
06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Casemodding for WC should go here I think.
That's where I learned and got excellent info.:up:

MomijiTMO
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
If we got rid of all the logs, the forum would be much quieter [BAD]. Although work logs outnumber other topics by 2:1, I don't think it is that much of an issue.

HotGore
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
When I was planning my first build I looked everywhere for logs to give me ideas on how to put everything together. To be very honest now that I am planning on sticking with my case these logs are interesting, but I do find they are taking up a lot of space. I vote for sub form!

Xilikon
06-14-2008, 05:09 PM
To make it formal, add my vote for a Worklogs subforum (I think it would be a more suitable name since it doesn't always involve case modding if you get creative to use the stock case in your advantage). I find that there's too much logs posted here and this make browsing a bit cumbersome (I have my own worklog and I'm not really interested to see all the logs posted, beside some interesting ones like DarthBeavis or disruptfam). I would rather see real questions and discussions about watercooling and if I wanted to look at logs during my boring times at work, I can hop in the sub-forum easily ;)

MomijiTMO
06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah a sub forum would solve all issues.

JimOkc
06-14-2008, 05:27 PM
As a fairly new lurker and a person who isn't water cooling yet, I enjoy about 99% of what I read in this sub forum. I agree that a picture is worth 1000 words and I personally think that the build logs help more than hinder a newbie.

That is where you can look at another's loop and some posters give advice on how to make the loop better (as in component choice and placement or inflow/outflow hose being wrong) or can compare how someone else's problem was solved in comparison to an issue they may be having (ie...creative placement of a rad or other component).

Plus, some of this stuff is just amazingly pretty to look at.

Jim

disruptfam
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
i agree on the worklogs subforum

movieman :)

Nagstaku
06-22-2008, 11:18 PM
im an organizational freak so of course i will vote Yes on Measure 33

Jimmer411
06-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Worklog subforum would be great. There are alot of good threads that get pushed beyond the 2nd page because of how commons worklogs have gotten

disruptfam
06-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Worklog subforum would be great. There are alot of good threads that get pushed beyond the 2nd page because of how commons worklogs have gotten

yeah alot of good stuff is missed out on sometimes.

+1 ON Worklogs subforum

Waterlogged
06-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Another +1 on the worklog sub forum. :yepp:

...while your at it, add another sub forum for aluminum/mixed metal discussions so those of us that have strong feelings on both sides of the topic can keep a safe distance from each other. There is plenty of info around here already that can be placed into stickies for those that wish to go this route.

John Planet
06-24-2008, 06:45 PM

Actually, it's a form of thermal management. I wouldn't say that slapping on a 3rd party air-only cooler was "modding." I agree with the OP. XS WC doesn't lean as hard into theory and practice as one would expect. ;)

BlueAqua
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Actually, it's a form of thermal management. I wouldn't say that slapping on a 3rd party air-only cooler was "modding." I agree with the OP. XS WC doesn't lean as hard into theory and practice as one would expect. ;)

Try the search function. Theory has been beat to death here (which is a really good thing). Water is still water and new theories happen all the time, and discussed.

This forum contains a ginormous amount of good information.

John Planet
06-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Try the search function. Theory has been beat to death here (which is a really good thing). Water is still water and new theories happen all the time, and discussed.

This forum contains a ginormous amount of good information.

I don't require the "search function" currently. If I did, I'm sure I could find it without any suggestions. Theory and practice of WC change constantly. IMO, a subforum for case-modding OR water-cooling would be just fine, and I haven't changed my mind.

bigslappy
06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
WTF --- put the build logs into one stickie ? SUB TOPIC YES! but leave them on the water cooled forum is my Vote !
& yes i feel that if I ask a nOOb question I will be nailed by some , but then agin some nOOb's ask a question without 1st searching & should be Nailed to the wall > always a Ying & a Yang to everything

I like the build logs & don't want them on the case mod forum as I'm never there as it's just too many builds to find the watered ones that i'm interested in ...

& i have learned alot from the watered build logs & that in it's self keeps the nOObs questions to minimum

all this is I M H O >>>>> which don't mean sheet ! :rofl:

;p

systemviper
06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
hi, i also think the subtopic would make it easier to brows the worklogs and try to find similar.

so +23:up:

NaeKuh
06-24-2008, 07:59 PM
or ask Naekuh where he'll mount both of his gtx480s, but certainly not in the front of a case mount...

On the sides of this unit. I'll give it wings. :D The pumps and everything will go behind.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_1123.jpg

Or maybe i'll change it to something else. Oh wellz, it all goes live when my Q9650 ES arrives. :wasntme:

Worklog section would be awesome.

I think theres a lot of discussion going on in the forum. If your hoping for in depth discussions your about 1yr too late.
Seems like most of the XIP's have gone quiet like cathar and marci. :[

Im not saying Nikhsub1 and Martin arent great, but minus scott's step block idea (which im gonna test on a cuplex di), there really isnt anything left that would require a in dept discussion.
If you can think of one, then by all means post away.