PDA

View Full Version : New Tuner card?

snipper_cr
06-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I currently have an ATI HDTV Wonder. An older card but for the time I've had it, its been descent. Not amazing or great. But it does what's required more or less. It does tune OTA HDTV and cable analog signals. However, the ATI MMC software is unstable at best, fresh installs of windows (I do clean install ocassionally) following the exact procedure (I had it written down step by step since first install nightmare) and I would say it only works every other time. Otherwise there is some sort of problem. That might just be MMC or the card itself.
The tuner is fine although analog cable tunes seem to be kinda cruddy. I plugged a STB in same jack and connected via composite and the picture looked alot better.
I installed Vista to see how it would work and overall, liked Media Center alot more. Getting the ATI HDTV Wonder to work required a patch and some reg editing but it was able to recognize the analog and HDTV tuner as one.
Also, while tuning an OTA channel, while watching the signal occasionally drops to 0 then back to what it was. Not sure if that's the station or the card. This occured in Vista as well as XP using MMC.

So I am wondering if I should get a new card. Most likely it will go into a windows vista system with a high end graphics card. I currently get digital TV and HDTV from my cable provider. I see there are more cards now that offer "Clear QAM." IIRC, cable providers have to provide local HD channels in the clear. Is that right?
Are there cards that can tune the digital stations as well or would the cable provider (Comcast) prevent that? How would channels 1-99 be tuned - digitally or analog? What about above 100? I'm also not sure the difference between a dual tuner and a hybrid tuner and the advantages of either. Most likely I would be using this card in Vista with Media Center. It would be great if I could use the QAM tuner in MC to watch and record HD content.

Any help or advice if I should look at a new card or keep my current. Thanks!

Lloyd
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I've seen people asking about TV cards alot lately, and i always recommend Black Gold...
http://shop.blackgold.tv/category/tv-tuner-products/
Simply the best quality with build and software

Dual tuner = 2 of the same tuners ie digital or analogue
Hybrid tuner = 1 tuner that can be either digital or analogue, Black Gold has a card that has 2 hybrid tuners and also a 6 in 1 card (see link for details)

Looks like ur doing an MCSE?

snipper_cr
06-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I've seen people asking about TV cards alot lately, and i always recommend Black Gold...
http://shop.blackgold.tv/category/tv-tuner-products/
Simply the best quality with build and software

Dual tuner = 2 of the same tuners ie digital or analogue
Hybrid tuner = 1 tuner that can be either digital or analogue, Black Gold has a card that has 2 hybrid tuners and also a 6 in 1 card (see link for details)

Looks like ur doing an MCSE?

MCSE? Are you talking about the M$ program? Nah, just new enough about hardware and networking to take the test and get the certs. I'm actually a pilot :)

Hm, that looks like a really nice card, ill have to look into it. Seems like it does alot. Can it watch/record clear-qam in vista MC?

Lloyd
06-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Err i'm not sure about the clear QAM, though i did notice their 6 in 1 did just about everything. i would email them and see. I got a response within the day.
My mates MCSE course started with those quals, however mine didn't. So what do you fly?

EDIT: i've emailed Black Gold to ask about the Clear-QAM

MikeB12
06-13-2008, 03:25 AM
if you liked your old ati tv card..
I'm using a sapphire pci ati 650 theater chip based card... http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=189&grp=9
it's a little dated from the ones I suggest below...
might want to consider one of the newer ones...
like--->DIAMOND ATI TV Wonder HD 650
NE links http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=DIAMOND+ATI+TV+Wonder+HD+650&x=16&y=33

Two built-in tuners offering combo tuning for:
* Over-the-air Digital TV / HDTV1 (ATSC)
* Over-the-air / Cable Analog TV (NTSC)
* Clear-QAM (unscrambled) Digital HD Cable2
* FM Radio

ripken204
06-13-2008, 03:55 AM
i have the pci-e version ^^^
works very nice

snipper_cr
06-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Seems like Media Center does not like Clear QAM tuners. I get all my OTA HD channels with a big antenna and amp, but it would be great if I could ditch the antenna entirely and just go over the cable lines. I think Ive seen about patches allow QAM over Vista MC but not entirely sure.

MikeB12
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm still on an analog basic line with comcast... as I understand it I'd need to upgrade to digital service and go through a comcast box to get HD piped. but as it stands now, I'm just going straight out of the wall, and that's basic extended in my area which is analog. maybe come feb 2009 that will change and I can start picking up a digital signal straight from the wall and HD cable. but I can get the over the air HD now, it's public..

little_scrapper
06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a Dvico Fusion7 DUAL HDTV tuner card and I love it!!!! http://www.sundialmicro.com/dvico-fusion-hdtv-7-dual-express-tv-tuner-card_2047_1369.html

This one. Look around for better price and better description. But far as I know it the ONLY truely dual HD tuner card out. The chip came out just this year.

demonkevy666
06-14-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm having trouble getting a good digital signal threw the MSI 650 pro pci-ex1
maybe I should get one those black gold. instead