PDA

View Full Version : Linux GUI help

Kurupt
09-15-2003, 07:55 AM
For some reason after my login command prompt I try and start my KDE GUI, it all looks like its going thru then it stops. Telling me I dont have it. I have tryed all the GUI's for Mandrake and I get nutthing.

Dont really know alot of it.... well nutthing really. I just rember how I did it at home awhile back.

Tweaked!
09-15-2003, 10:12 AM
So I take it you're attempting to install Mandrake, I tried the 8.1 version of it and had nothing but problems myself. Never did get to actually boot into the gui before I got fed up and formatted back to Windows. Since then I've managed to get a older duallie loaded and running on the Redhat 9. You might want to consider giving that a try, the install process went much smoother and was more user friendly. :)

Tweaked!
09-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Here you go Kurupt, Here's (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=142526#post142526) the thread explaining the easiest way to obtain the 3 iso images of RH9. When you first connect to their server, it'll ask you for a logon and password, just logon anonymously and it'll allow you access to those files. You're after the three files labeled "shrike i386" :cool:

Kurupt
09-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Thnx Tweaked I will take a look at that once I get off of work.

Smizack
09-15-2003, 06:38 PM
If it's just a problem with the gui loading, it's probably a bad vid card configuration, (wrong res, ect..) no driver support. Also, a low end card, or brand new card could give you the same problem.

Charles Wirth
09-15-2003, 07:42 PM
does the gnome gui work?

Kurupt
09-16-2003, 07:23 AM
no.. None of them do

Kurupt
09-16-2003, 07:23 AM
ohhh but gnome seems to load further then KDE if that helps at all

Kurupt
09-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Smizack - The low end video card might be the problem. I was trying to load Mandrake on a Testing system cause thats all I had up at the time @ work. "testing system = Hard drive FDisk/Format/Wipe computer"

I was just installing onto a scsi drive to see if our drive duper works, to fix a raid 5 server at work.

Smizack
09-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Kurupt
Smizack - The low end video card might be the problem. I was trying to load Mandrake on a Testing system cause thats all I had up at the time @ work. "testing system = Hard drive FDisk/Format/Wipe computer"

I was just installing onto a scsi drive to see if our drive duper works, to fix a raid 5 server at work.

I bet that's it. If you use a crappy card you have to use hella low settings, otherwise it will just crash.
Linux dosen't seem to manage vid cards as well as windows does (at least not independantly).