PDA

View Full Version : Does such laptop exist?

MuffinFlavored
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I want to replace my desktop with a Core 2 Duo based (the lowest-end model, as long as it is Core 2 Duo architecture, because from what I understand they are very power efficent) laptop.

I do not want a dedicated graphics card.
I want something that is power efficent.
All I will run is when I want to run Firefox, iTunes, and Digsby.

Is there a laptop that does not come with an optical drive? I thought, "Hey, do not get an optical drive, it could be cheaper." But apparently, the only laptops without optical drives fit in envelopes and are $1,800.

I do not care what operating system it comes with. I have seen what laptops come with preloaded, and I just want to do a fresh install.

I want:
Core 2 Duo
I do not care about screen size.
Integrated graphics.
Webcam and Microphone (just for the jokes I guess)
As low as an 80GB hard drive.
I do not care about the operating system.

Does such thing exist for under $700?

STEvil
06-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Asus EEE PC.

With that low end of a laptop you can put up with the Core 2 based celeron in it.

MuffinFlavored
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Asus EEE PC.

With that low end of a laptop you can put up with the Core 2 based celeron in it.

I do not want to skimp. This would be a desktop replacement.

happychappy
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
The MSI Wind should be right up your street:)

Alpha
06-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Asus EEE PC.

you cant replace the cpu in the EEE PC, its soldered to the board (i know... some one has done it, but its not easy at all)

Nanometer
06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I kinda doubt someone soldered a cpu to an EEE.

cirthix
06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
check out refurb dell ones, particularly e1520 and e1525 (vostro 1500 and 1510)

IvanAndreevich
06-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Asus EEE PC.

I believe it's a Pentium M based Celeron.

MuffinFlavored
06-12-2008, 07:01 PM
The MSI Wind should be right up your street:)

Is the MSI Wind or the ASUS Eee, plasticy and cheap?
They look pretty good to me. MSI Wind with Atom, 512MB of RAM, 6 cell battery, webcam. Works for me.

EDIT:
Could this be the answer to my prayers?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/06/dell-e-000.jpg
We got a nice helping of slides dropped on our virtual doorstep this evening, fleshing out Dell's upcoming netbook -- which they seem to be calling the "Dell E." Um, Eeenteresting name choice, but that doesn't seem set in stone, and there's plenty else going on here to ponder over. Dell's breaking the Dell E into two device types, a 8.9-inch model clearly meant to take on the Eee 900, and the 12.1-inch "E Slim" which actually looks positioned to take on the MacBook Air and X300, at a mere 0.8-inches thick, though perhaps in a lower-end capacity. Even the 8.9-inch model will have some distinctions, with E Classic model for super low-end use, and E Video and E Video+ for more RAM, larger flash storage, webcams and Bluetooth in the + model. Rollout looks to be slated for August for the E, August / September-ish for the E Slim, and a followup for both of those in October of WWAN, with WiMAX after that. Dell even has a second version of both devices slated for Q2 2009, but that's all we know about those so far. Perhaps most interesting is that all of these run Linux and Windows XP, and while it's not clear if there's a full-featured Linux OS onboard, there does seem to be an instant-on, Foleo-esque Linux included on all of them called BlackTop. We're not sure if there's any relation to Splashtop, but the janky-ass interface and email / calendar / contacts apps seem to be telling us no. BlackTop will support WWAN and WiFi, and Dell plans to move the 2.0 version to the Latitude and Vostro lines in a year or two. Peep the slides below for all the gory details. Oh, and the price? Dell E starts at $299.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/dell-e-and-e-slim-revealed-taking-on-eee-and-air-in-one-fell-sw/