PDA

View Full Version : Project: Cosmos S GTX280 Extreme

username1
06-09-2008, 07:00 PM
The Cosmos-S GTX280 Extreme

Cool name. First time Watercooler. Lets see how i go.. Loads of suggestions plz.

My ideas are to rig up a Cooler Master S case with cpu cooling for starters. If I am confident ill rig up the 2x GTX280's on watercooling too when they arive.

This will all buff my 27" and 22" LCD's for a super workstation :)

Here are my ordered parts :

CASE & FANS
1 x Cooler Master Cosmos S Case
3 x Noctua NF1300rpm Pressured Case Fans (For radiator)
1 x Noctua NH-C12P CPU cooler (damn, now that im WC i have to send this back)
1 x Zalman ZMMFC2 Fan display controller
1 x Alphacool LCD System Monitor 5&1/2"
2 x Vantec 2 Vortex HDD Cooler Bay
1 x Zalman 1000w Pipe-Cooled PSU
1 x OCZ XTX Memory cooling

COMPONENTS
1 x Intel Core 2 Extreme qX9650, 3.00ghz 1333mhz FSB, 2x6MB L2 Cache
1 x eVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 2000mhz 1600mhz FSB 7.1 HD
2 x Samsung 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16mb cache (possibly Raid 0 storage)
4 x 2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Memory PC3-10666 DDR 1333mhz 7-7-7-20
1 x Sony SATA DVD-R/RW/DL Black
2 x WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 160GB [Raid 0] (for OS)
1 x Samsung 500GB SATA II 7200RPM (Backup)
1 x VideoMate HDTV PCI-e Duel tuner
2 x eVGA Geforce GTX280 (when released :))
1 x Creative Xi Fi Fatal1ty Sound Card 7.1
1 x ECS 9600GT (for second monitor when in sli on first)

WATER COOL
1 x Viper John 790i NB & SB MCP Fan
1 x Alphacool NeXXXos Pro III Rev2 Radiator
10 x Norma Hose Clamps
3 x D-TEK Fittings
2 x ClearFLEX 60 Premium Tubing ½"
2 x Coolsleeves ½"
1 x Zalman ZM g200 Anticorrosion Coolant
1 x Alphacool Laing DDC Ultra pump
1 x Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 250ml Res
1 x D-TEK FuZion v2 CPU block

INPUT (not part of the project)
1 x 22" Asus Gaming PG221
1 x 27" Samsung SyncMaster
1 x Rock Remote for Vista
1 x Vista 64bit Ultimate
1 x Logitech 5.1 Speakers
1 x Logitech DiNovo Edge wireless Keyboard
1 x Logitech 1100MX wireless Mouse
1 x CyberSniper mousepad

Ill start uploading pics as I start progress over this week.

lyl
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM
nice hardware... looking forward to the build

alo
06-10-2008, 01:31 AM
WATER COOL
1 x Alphacool NeXXXos Pro III Rev2 Radiator
10 x Norma Hose Clamps
3 x D-TEK Fittings
2 x ClearFLEX 60 Premium Tubing ½"
2 x Coolsleeves ½"
1 x Zalman ZM g200 Anticorrosion Coolant
1 x Alphacool Laing DDC Ultra pump
1 x Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 250ml Res
1 x D-TEK FuZion v2 CPU block

1. Don't use this Zalman liquid. If you don't mix aluminum and copper in your loop than use just distilled water with few drops of biocide.

2.Alphacool's top for DDC is far not the best one. Better buy a XSPC Res top instead and DDC-1Tplus pump.

username1
06-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Ive already bought the products, the pump from reviews should do the job im after.

And the coolant, ive already ordered it so next time ill use a less expensive coolant.

Would there be any reason not to use it? A disadvantage for example?

junkun13
06-10-2008, 08:58 AM
those hardwares are all top of the line!

monster rig in the making :D

disruptfam
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
good luck

username1
06-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Id like to know before i put any coolant / distilled water in.

Would there be any reasons why not to use the coollant i purchased? Any negative effects?

20:80 is the distilled water ratio specified on the coolant.

gmod
06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Maybe next time post here before you buy...

Otherwise looks like a sweet system...

SNiiPE_DoGG
06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
why would you run vista 32-bit, its like a million times better to run 64-bit. faster, more stable and any program from 2000 and more recent will run (and if it wont there is probably a better program to replace it)

also do NOT use that coolant, it is BAD, use primochill pc-ice if you MUST use a premade coolant but if you want that performance you gotta roll with distilled + pt-nuke. were talking like 3-5 degrees Celsius here

i know you already bought, but certain things are worth waiting in the mail for so your system is all it can be ....

Omastar
06-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I see you're thinking RAID 0 for your two 500GB drives. Why? RAID 0 has zero fault tolerance, and assuming you'd like to keep the data on those drives (unless you make daily backups to an external 1TB drive), I'd make that a RAID 1 array, or add a third 500GB drive and make it a RAID 5 array, with a dedicated controller (think Areca or Highpoint). And check out the new WD VelociRaptors for your OS. :)

username1
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Im not confident in running 64 bit yet and have seen no reason to use it maybe in another years time.

Why is that coolant bad it was the most expensive going around? Some reviews on this site itself have labeled it capable.

As for the RAID on storage, im not sure whether ill be putting raid on it at all.

My current idea is

OS / Games - RAID 0 with raptors (possibly an auto drive backup onto the storage)
Apps & Storage - RAID 0 1TB
Backup drive - 150GB backup drive for important and regular backups of critical data.

In the near future i may get another 2 500GB and use a larger scale raid.

Has anyone actually had faults using RAID 0, ive never had a fault using a normal setup.

septim
06-11-2008, 03:11 AM
no faults yet for me at raid 0 with 2 150gb raptors... almost 3 years...

YMAA
06-11-2008, 03:29 AM
I've actually had more stability and compatibility issues with 32-bit Vista than 64-bit. Trust me, 64-bit is the future and it is a lot better. 32-bit was basically an afterthought that came about when clueless people at MS decided to complicate things. I run Vista x64 on my system and have for over a year. Believe me, it's much better.

username1
06-11-2008, 06:01 AM
I must say im still a bit worried about using water cooling, having never done it, im worried about the pump breaking down and burning out the chip, im worried about leaking, corrosion, algae, tube bursting.

Im also worried when i turn off the power at night, the cpu will still be hot, but the water will be idle so it wont get cooled effectively.

b@llz0r
06-11-2008, 06:03 AM
dont be

b@llz0r
06-11-2008, 06:10 AM
having never done it

only one way to change that...

pump breaking down and burning out the chip

Make sure you have shutdown on overheat set in bios and if your still worried install a system monitor

leaking
use non conductive fluid

corrosion

Dont mix metals in your loop, and use corrosion inhibitors if your still worried

algae

Biocide

tube bursting.

refer to 3

Im also worried when i turn off the power at night, the cpu will still be hot, but the water will be idle so it wont get cooled effectively.

Huh?:shrug:

Seriously tho dude... you are introducing an element of risk... Ive KO'ed some parts... but just think of the fun youll have along the way :) (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119699)

Anemic
06-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Just take your time installing the loop and things will be fine. Read all the stickys here about leak testing. Are you going to use the built in raid in the 790i board or do you have a dedicated controller? I had a raid 5 with 4 x 400 Gb disk and all of a sudden two disks had "fallen out" of the raid. Not much to do but to kill the raid and start over. On top of that I had been to Dreamhack (Worlds biggest LAN, 10 000 computers) a couple of days erlier and filled the drives with..."vacation photos" ; ) Sucked...Get a dedicated controller with a real CPU for your raids.

About your worries, there is no real need for them if you do things right from the beginning. Tighten everything well and testrun your loop for 24 hours before starting powering up your rig. When you turn the power of your cpu wont be producing any heat no need to worry about that.

username1
06-11-2008, 06:19 AM
ok good

so i take it i shouldent use the zalman coolant and just get some distilled water / biocide + dye.
Is there any premade stuff i can buy from AUS?

Im gonna run 64 bit.

Also how do u power up the corsair HX1000w without connecting the MB? Cant it be done?

My elements (about corrosion):
# Bright Polished Chrome Plated Brass = barbs
Anti-oxidant treated precision machine lapped copper baseplate. = Dfuzion block
Radiator = unknown

Ashraf
06-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Also how do u power up the corsair HX1000w without connecting the MB? Cant it be done?

Yes, it can be done.

Guide: http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Anemic
06-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Good call with 64 bit.
Order this: http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=67_79&products_id=243 or just order it at Petras.

username1
06-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Heres my fan design

Posting pics of progress tomorow first thing..

Do u guys recomend single or double clamping my D-tek 1/2" barbs?

Also i have this anti-kink sleaving but it wont fit without force yet its designed too.. Im not sure whether to force it around my tube for the cpu to chipset block.

* Added new products / updates to parts list too.. some new gear. Sound card etc..

Hidetaka
06-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Make the top/rad fans suck the air out of the case and the bottom fan pull air inside.

To put on anti-kinks you should start with one end of it's "wire" and erm... reel it on the tube. [I'll try to add some pick later]. Forcing them on will not work.

How to begin
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/HideCollector/coils2.jpg
~5cm done
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/HideCollector/coils1.jpg

dubtown
06-14-2008, 10:05 AM
yeah get the first inch or so on, hold the tube firm, and wrap them around like your reeling in a fish... good analogy :up:

leo_bsb
06-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I would try the big boy sucking air out of the case.
The rad fans always should use fresh air, so they put air in.
The front will be air in. Don't need the bottom. The back takes air out, the PSU takes air out too.

username1
06-14-2008, 05:34 PM
yeah big boy sucking sounds good.

But with non-water cooled gfx cards?

And the bottom 2 fans are now exhaust.

username1
06-14-2008, 05:58 PM
i have to work out how my fans are going to be controlled

there are chassis / nforce / cpu / aux / system fan slots on the motherboard
i have a 4 way fan controller

and 6+1 fans to connect to hubs..

FAN SLOT
-------------------------
Chassis back to Chassis 1
Chassis bottom to Chassis 2
Front cage to Fan cont 1
Memory cooler to Sys Fan
SB fan to nforce fan
3 Rad fans to Fan cont
Pump to CPU fan

Dunno about the big boy yet... will have to test a few options. Maybe into the AUX slot. Maybe not at all.
Wouldnt mind buying another controller to control the memory fan / chassis fans better.

leo_bsb
06-14-2008, 08:59 PM
In my case the GPU temps got worst when the side fan was taking air in.
Try both ways but I would try taking the hot air around the vid cards out.

username1
06-14-2008, 11:02 PM
ok i will try intake then out-take.

I might add another fan controoller.

Btw uploading pics now.

username1
06-14-2008, 11:12 PM
added some pics... basic..

Got the pump mounted in the bottom bays.. Moved teh 4in3 upwards.. Have 2 HDD coolers above that then the DVD / FAN CONTROOLER and LCD is at the bottom.
Mounted the Res at the side for easy access. Rad at the top. Pull motion.

Seated the MB for testing.. need to add the SB/NB first.. then ill remove it and leak test.

username1
06-17-2008, 02:53 AM
24 hour testing

Just started...

used 3 ty-wraps for secure links.
Removed m/bboard and components and started 2 /3 rad fans and the pump.
Amazingly quiet and smooth for 6 hours thus far.

No bubbles, flat water surface .. cold tubing.

Ill post some pics tomorow as i start to add the components.

PLUS MY GTX280s arrive tomorow..
SWEET

and ive gone for 8GB ram + an extra 9600GT for the 2nd monitor.

generics_user
06-17-2008, 03:04 AM
DON'T MOUNT THE PUMP UPSIDE-DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS ULTIMATELY LEADS TO THE DEATH OF THE ddc; IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AT THE CONSTRCTION OF THE PUMP you'll know why, upside down it is possible that the impeller "jumps" off the bearing, this is also mentioned in the users manual (at least in the manual of my DDC-1 and DDC-2 :shrug:

i think that my first DDC failed because of this mounting method, try to mount the pump with the impeller upwards and use the top inlet :up:

generics_user
06-17-2008, 03:06 AM
1. Don't use this Zalman liquid. If you don't mix aluminum and copper in your loop than use just distilled water with few drops of biocide.

2.Alphacool's top for DDC is far not the best one. Better buy a XSPC Res top instead and DDC-1Tplus pump.

the DDC ultra is the same as the 1T-plus....

username1
06-17-2008, 03:51 AM
hrmm it looks ok so far.

generics_user
06-17-2008, 04:15 AM
hrmm it looks ok so far.

my pump looked alright too, but within 2 months it died and after taking the pump apart i noticed some scratches on the upper side of the impeller, believe me itS not worth it to risk the pump + all your hardware by mounting the pump upside down just to get come 4cm shorter tubing ;)

MomijiTMO
06-17-2008, 05:55 AM
my pump looked alright too, but within 2 months it died and after taking the pump apart i noticed some scratches on the upper side of the impeller, believe me itS not worth it to risk the pump + all your hardware by mounting the pump upside down just to get come 4cm shorter tubing ;)
Don't worry about it. You made you point [which I agree with] VERY CLEAR and you can't do any more than that. Some people don't mind replacing it when it dies and others have to figure out things for themselves.

On topic:
I so can't believe you are getting the GTX280 so soon. Awesome service where ever you went. Gunning for SLI? That rig would so kill anything you threw at it :)

username1
06-17-2008, 07:12 AM
yea i got 2 Palit branded GTX's.

Ill post heaps of pics of progress and build tomorow..

Nearly done..

((( re-did the pump as suggested that was hell.. cut my fingers to Sh%%.

R those coil-wraps really worth it for anti-kinking.. i know a fitter who says they wouldn't do much at all.

I had a loose tubing too it was too loose for my liking so i had to spend a few hours re-hosing the res. The tubing seems slippery on it but 3 plyer pulled ty-wraps have secured it firmly.

Over-night testing now no sign of leakage or air. No flaking.

username1
06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
latest pics..

Fully tested .

Few problems:

^ Tube is on an angle
^ motor seems really hot
^ bubbles at the top of res (caused by flow force and splashing)

leo_bsb
06-18-2008, 04:30 AM
I would change the inlet port on the pump, You can mount the pump just under the res using a coupler.

Hor$eman
06-18-2008, 04:50 AM
You gonna paint or get the inside of the case power-coated? A project looks so unfinished nowadays without that. If not, no disrespect meant. Looking good!

username1
06-18-2008, 04:54 AM
I might paint it really dark black one day down the track.

Cpl Ledanek
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Off-topic:
@username1...I searched the forum for the diNovo Edge and your post came up...are doing ok with that kb?

I bought it for wife to match our flat screen+PS3 clean line look...she use it for internet vs gaming...and she injured her shoulder+wrist and this KB is best in her situation.

PS3 picked it up quick (Bluetooth)

but when I tried it on my pc it would not pick up. The BL USB tongle does have get installed (no drivers available in CD-ROM it came with package) and drivers on Logitech Website doesn't work...so now it sucks that I can't use on pc.

was wondering if you have problems with it on your pc?

advance thanks