PDA

View Full Version : some help please

SPQQKY
07-20-2002, 03:52 PM
My friend is having a problem and I am a little perplexed. He has a AOpen ak77-pro(a)-133 and has been running a 1GHz TBird (200MHz FSB) without a hitch for quite a while. He got a 1.33GHz TBird (266MHz FSB...obviously) and I dropped it in for him and it booted and went into BIOS and all seemed okay. The chip was correctly identified and running at defaults and then while in BIOS it locked up. A reset and back into BIOS to double check everything and it seemed like it was going to load windows and then locked up again. I shut down and set the fsb to 100 and then it booted into Windows and I thought it was going to be alright to at least trouble shoot, but it locked up after a few seconds. I have tried several different multipliers and tried everything I could think of.

I get really sporatic readings in BIOS on the voltages as well. vcore would fluctuate between 1.67 and 1.72 no matter what vcore I gave it. The 5v rail would drop down to 4.75 just in BIOS. This board has the kt266a chipset and it was one of my boards before he got it from me and it ran fine with a XP 1600+. The only difference is I had a 350w Antec and he has a generic (DEER) 300w. So is this a psu or mobo problem? All suggestions welcome. I may not be able to check back for your helpful posts for a while, so just throw as many at me as possible and I will check back later.
Thanks everybody.

Gamer
07-20-2002, 03:57 PM
a biosupdate could help, but it's dangerous to flash when it isn't stable.

SPQQKY
07-21-2002, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't even think of doing a flash at this point. If it locked up during a flash, he'd be SOL. I am pretty sure it is PSU related. I will convince him to buy a better one.

MrIcee
07-21-2002, 08:55 AM
SPQQKY:)

I can't definitively point to a fix for this problem...but I did experience this same thing a little while ago, the freezing and lock ups. My problem ended up being a flakey NIC. Once I removed it everything went back to normal, tho I spent countless hours before that trying to diagnose it. It might be wise to pull all pci cards out and try it. If it works...add each card in 1 at a time until the problem shows its face again. Not sure this is the right direction...but its worth a try.:)

Randi:D

IFMU
07-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Ok, freakin system crash.. lemme re-try this... heh.

Ok, my first thought here would be a heat issue. Is the hsf making good contact with the die?
Next I would think that there is a loose connection with a card or ram.
Then I would agree with MrIcee here. Something might be goin bad.

SPQQKY
07-21-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, it wasn't the psu because we went out and picked up an Antec pp352x 350w PSU and it did not solve the problem. The 5v, 12v and 3.3v readings did improve quite a bit, but the vcore was still low and fluctuating. As far as the NIC, he has a D-Link that has been running fine when the 1GHz is in the system, but not the 1.33GHz. I will throw that idea at him none the less.

I thought perhaps a heat issue at first, the chip did hit 50c in BIOS which seems a bit warm, but I wouldn't hink that is the problem.
I reseated the Alpha and got the same temps. It is seated as well as possible.
Gonna figure this out though, he cannot afford a new board and I would borrow him my KX7-333, but I hate to let it out of my hands.
I will try all suggestions and report back. Thanks.

SPQQKY
07-21-2002, 04:22 PM
Removing the pci cards did not help. It looks like he'll be borrowing my KX7-333 until he gets a replacement. :(