PDA

View Full Version : Galvanic Corrosion between Copper and Stainless Steel or Chrome Plating?

Zaskar
06-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Just wondering if you have any Stainless Steel in your loop if you have to worry about galvanic corrosion at all. Also what about Chrome plated brass?

The latter I'm pretty sure is ok since its used for most barbs, but just making sure, was looking at the galvanic charts and chrome is close but its not directly next to it, think its a .25 difference.

Stainless steel probably depends on the type, in this case Em mostly concerned about the Stainless Steel accelerator plate in the EK supreme.

Sparky
06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Nope not really, I mean it will happen technically but over like years and years. I have yet to see any Cu + stainless corrosion threads. Cu + Al is the only big nono metal combo that I'm aware of for WC loops.

mrmaigo
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Stainless reacts SLOW and won't be a problem unless put a corrosive directly into your loop. Chrome is good unless you manage to chip it off, the brass depends on the alloy and I'm not sure how it reacts to ionization

Polizei
06-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Radiators are made out of brass, so it's fine. Stainless is fine... I doubt Eddy would've used it if it would corrode.