PDA

View Full Version : battery question...

K404
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey. Im in the market for a new digital camera. D-SLR is out of my reach sadly.

I was looking at the Fuji S5700 but something I dont like about it is the battery arrangement- 4 batteries, loaded individually.

Are there any cameras with a similar spec that use a single battery unit that can plug into a charger/charging cradle?

Easy battery swaps and charging is a convenience id like.

Hope this makes sense...

Cheers!

K

MaxxxRacer
06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Just get NiMH rechargeables. Thats what I use for my SB-800 and they work great. long battery life and inexpensive. A good charger is 50 dollars and comes with some batteries.

Soulburner
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Eneloops. Last AA's you will ever buy.

MaxxxRacer
06-05-2008, 02:18 PM
When I purchased my 2700Mah Sanyo's I saw the Eneloops and decided not to get them due to their lower capacity. For my use I dont need them to last forever in storage because the flash eats through them within a week or 2 of light use. But reading their website, it says that they have a higher voltage that makes them last as long as 2500mah batteries. Knowing what I know of electronics, I call BS unless the device you are using converts the higher voltage to the voltage that it requires via mosfets.

Soulburner
06-05-2008, 03:41 PM
That's where they fooled you - my 2000mAh Eneloops slightly outlast my 2500mAh Energizers which are also great batteries. Back to back testing, a full day of shooting with each.

Goes to show that there is more to it than the ratings.

Regardless, the pros far outweigh the cons. My gear is ready to go when I pick it up, and I don't ever run into a situation where "crap, I have to charge this damn thing first".

[XC] 2long4u
06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
I just get the 100 battery brick for $20 at frys. :D
Sony cameras can take a rechargable lithium ion or AA's.

MaxxxRacer
06-05-2008, 04:48 PM
That's where they fooled you - my 2000mAh Eneloops slightly outlast my 2500mAh Energizers which are also great batteries. Back to back testing, a full day of shooting with each.

Goes to show that there is more to it than the ratings.

Regardless, the pros far outweigh the cons. My gear is ready to go when I pick it up, and I don't ever run into a situation where "crap, I have to charge this damn thing first".

hmm. I will have to pick some of those up and do a comparison between my sanyo 2700mah

Soulburner
06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
My bet is they are very close when drained in the same day, and the Eneloops outlast them when used over a one week span or more due to the self-discharge of the other batteries.

K404
06-06-2008, 02:06 PM
battery "magazines" are the way forward I reckon. I might have a play with the setup when I get it and mod summat together. Gotta use my degree for something! :p: