PDA

View Full Version : Running pumps in series

EchoBlack4
06-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi folks,

Do you think running two DDC3.2 in series is worth for a loop with cpu, nb, sb and mosfets?

I have been tossing around ideas and loop designs and came with this setup:

DDC3.2 with XSPC res top > DDC3.2 with XSPC top > PA120.3 > Dtek Fuzion V2 with quad midplate > EK NB and SB blocks > EK mosfets.

Is this workable? Can anybody post a pic of a loop with two pumps running in series?

Thanks

Snyxxx
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I have a similar loop with a Storm (highly restrictive) CPU block, two 8800GTX's in SLI (EK FC 8800s water blocks) and EK NB, SB and both MOSFETs and only use a single DDC-2 18W. This pump is a little more powerful than the 3.2, but the Fusion is quite unrestrictive and I do not think you need both from a flow stand point.

However, if you want redundancy, then yes, go for both pumps in series.

madmaxx
06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
redundancy or most performance

maybe a GTX480 RAD for all those components?

Yeknom
06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi folks,

Do you think running two DDC3.2 in series is worth for a loop with cpu, nb, sb and mosfets?

I have been tossing around ideas and loop designs and came with this setup:

DDC3.2 with XSPC res top > DDC3.2 with XSPC top > PA120.3 > Dtek Fuzion V2 with quad midplate > EK NB and SB blocks > EK mosfets.

Is this workable? Can anybody post a pic of a loop with two pumps running in series?

Thanks

The extra flow won't really help all that much, IMO. The added heat dump isn't worth it. EK blocks aren't really that restrictive.

TheThreeDegrees
06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Those DDC's are whores for dumping heat.
Have you tried touching the bottom of one when its been running for 10 minutes?
My DB1 can out-perform it with a low-restriction loop.

If I had to buy another pump again I would consider the 9W one.
Pumps are over-rated in water-cooling if you ask me.

Martinm210
06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
You could, but you might not gain anything other than reduncancy as stated above. The fuzion V2 is really more of a low/mid restriction block stock. It might give you something with the nozzles, but nothing has been shown yet on nozzle gains.

Just for fun, since I'm about to tear down and needed my D5 for testing, I decided I'd run my whole loop through a single D5. That's a fuzion V2, two DD-MCP chipset, D-Tek Fuzion GFX, two MCR320s, and one MCR 220. And that's all on a D5 basic!...still cooling pretty well for such low flows...it's only a couple of degrees warmer if that.

There are bigger gains to be had by doubling up on radiator than adding pumps usually.

EchoBlack4
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks folks. This has been most helpful and running just one pump will simply things a lot. I like as well the idea of increasing radiatior power (thinking on buying a 480 GTX rad).

madmaxx
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
2 DDC's + a GTX480, just think of the possibillities :yepp:

i must admit i'm a big fan of large cooling surface's and higher pumping power's

iboomalot
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM

i must admit i'm a big fan of large cooling surface's and higher pumping power's

Car Rad + RD30 :D

Hey gotta question

what if you ran a line from a pool to your computer ????

think iwaki can move water from a pool and back at a distance of about 30-40 ft???

Serpentarius
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM

if then, why don't you get a few more rads? that'll help in speed heat dissapating ... having multiple pumps will only make multiple loops with the excessive heat still in loop

all you need is to get the heat out as fast as possible rite? but having more pumps will just cause the heat to recirculated back without giving it a chance to dissapate. not to mention the additional amount of heat caused by the running motors

jonny_ftm
06-06-2008, 01:50 AM
I also heard that pumps in series accelerate the death of the distal pump in the loop

MpG
06-06-2008, 04:05 AM
if then, why don't you get a few more rads? that'll help in speed heat dissapating ... having multiple pumps will only make multiple loops with the excessive heat still in loop

all you need is to get the heat out as fast as possible rite? but having more pumps will just cause the heat to recirculated back without giving it a chance to dissapate. not to mention the additional amount of heat caused by the running motors
Don't worry, the increased flow doesn't give the water as much time to pick up heat from the waterblocks in the first place. The heat dump of the extra pump outweighing the improved flow is a definite possibility, though.

Martinm210
06-06-2008, 05:25 AM

Me too....if you're going water...might as well take full advantage of it and go big where you can.

Some people don't like exterior radiators either, but for me...if it performs better, I don't care what it looks like.:up:

EchoBlack4
06-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Me too....if you're going water...might as well take full advantage of it and go big where you can.

Some people don't like exterior radiators either, but for me...if it performs better, I don't care what it looks like.:up:

So, do you think running a GTX480 with two DDCs is a good idea? How much better performance we can get from such setup?

I agree on the external rads as well.

Thanks.

Zaskar
06-06-2008, 06:03 AM
So, do you think running a GTX480 with two DDCs is a good idea? How much better performance we can get from such setup?

I agree on the external rads as well.

Thanks.

Really depends on the block.

Something like an EK that forces high restriction to accelerate the water to the copper cooling surface will benefit way more then a free flowing block.

madmaxx
06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
thnk you Martinm210 and Zaskar for seeing my point.

picture this : EK supreme CPU, dual DDC's in series and a GTX480 with high power/speed fans, i think that would be a rather efficient loop.

don't you?

;)

please don't make me laugh with "heat dump from the added pump will negate any benefit" that's a straight up joke! heat dump is VERY minimal, i mean we're talking on avg 6w-15w (IIRC) from most common pumps

nikhsub1
06-06-2008, 08:44 AM
what if you ran a line from a pool to your computer ????

think iwaki can move water from a pool and back at a distance of about 30-40 ft???
Sure it could, no problem. However, your loop would start to die quickly with all the chlorine from the pool. Bad idea.

I also heard that pumps in series accelerate the death of the distal pump in the loop
Hearsay. Old wives tale. Take your pick.

please don't make me laugh with "heat dump from the added pump will negate any benefit" that's a straight up joke! heat dump is VERY minimal, i mean we're talking on avg 6w-15w (IIRC) from most common pumps
It depends on the situation. Heat dump is very real but of course it depends on many factors, the biggest of which is the rad(s). On my test bench which uses a Thermochill HE120.3 with 3 106CFM fans (would cool better than a PA120.3 with these fans) and just a dual core 6600, water temps rose 2c with my Iwaki RD-30 at 24v vs. 18v. I would guess that we are only talking about a ~15w difference? So if you must laugh, go for it.

madmaxx
06-06-2008, 09:13 AM
i agree with you heat dump does exist

thats fair nikhsub1 but how many people have an IWAKI that can run 24v at their disposal? out of curiousity what is the heat dump values for that pump @ 18v-24v? prolly nearly double or tripple that of a DDC or D4/5?

as a whole for the most common of common loops heat dump from the pump is very minimalistic.

IMO any loop with a tripple rad + good fans should easily handle dual DDC's or dual D4/5 with multiple blocks.

i think the key is to optimize the capabillities of the components, balance.

it's all about balance :yepp:

just my $0.02

:shrug:

nikhsub1
06-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Like i said, I estimate that the wattage increase is about 15W going from 18v to 24v. It is all about balance but heat dump plays a bigger role than you are thinking.

madmaxx
06-06-2008, 09:26 AM
OK, and what is the heat dump of an RD30 @ 18v? now compare that to a D4/5 or DDC

iboomalot
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Sure it could, no problem. However, your loop would start to die quickly with all the chlorine from the pool. Bad idea.

I have a SALT pool which has 1/10th the salt content of sea water.

You can't even taste the salt.

iboomalot
06-06-2008, 12:38 PM
OK, and what is the heat dump of an RD30 @ 18v? now compare that to a D4/5 or DDC

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Iwaki-RD-30-Pump-Review.html

show heat out vs voltage on the RD-30

remember @12v the RD is as strong or stronger than the DCC3.2