PDA

View Full Version : Question

leathal
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I have a Thermaltake Armor+ case, I just bought an Asus Striker II Extreme mobo, I have a Intel Q9450 CPU, I still have to figure out what RAM to get but at the same time I need to figure which water coolers I should be looking at, since there are so many different ones on the market I am looking for any suggestions!

Thanks
Leathal

Solidsnake666
06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I have a Thermaltake Armor+ case, I just bought an Asus Striker II Extreme mobo, I have a Intel Q9450 CPU, I still have to figure out what RAM to get but at the same time I need to figure which water coolers I should be looking at, since there are so many different ones on the market I am looking for any suggestions!

Thanks
Leathal

Are you looking for a complete water cooling system? or just the water block for that chip? for a system best bet is to setup a custom one. As for blocks the Dtek Fuzion V2 and EK Supreme are the best two blocks. There's also the XSPC Edge if you can get your hands on one and also the Danger Den MC-TDX. All great performers from what I've seen.

As for memory that board can handle a couple different speeds (all DDR3) so it comes down to what you want to spend.

In both cases do your research before buying.

Serpentarius
06-04-2008, 08:11 PM
for quick start ... get a complete watercooling set ... (maybe u could get a swiftech watercool set - it's pretty good)

for complete set ... get a xtreme watercooling set ... (this will cost your time and concentration on this forum)

leathal
06-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Are you looking for a complete water cooling system? or just the water block for that chip? for a system best bet is to setup a custom one. As for blocks the Dtek Fuzion V2 and EK Supreme are the best two blocks. There's also the XSPC Edge if you can get your hands on one and also the Danger Den MC-TDX. All great performers from what I've seen.

As for memory that board can handle a couple different speeds (all DDR3) so it comes down to what you want to spend.

In both cases do your research before buying.

Yes I would prefer a system (complete kit) if possible, I also see that people rip off the Asus cooling fins amd wonder any of the systems or parts you mention replace everything on the board?

I would ideally like to do it right the first time, I have thought about getting the Bigwater 780e from Thermaltake but there isn't anything posted about it, only about its smaller cusin the 760i.

Thanks
Leathal

leathal
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
for quick start ... get a complete watercooling set ... (maybe u could get a swiftech watercool set - it's pretty good)

for complete set ... get a xtreme watercooling set ... (this will cost your time and concentration on this forum)

Well it would be nice if I could get my Q9450 to 4Ghz, I am certainly not looking to break speed records. :)

Will the swiftech system do it?

Thanks
Leathal

Solidsnake666
06-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I would suggest some of the kits from petras if you don't want to put together your own. Swiftech makes good all in one systems, but if you don't mind doing some work the kits are your best bet for everything together.

If you're planning on cooling the NB or any other components on that board you have to replace cooling on all the parts those heat pipes cover. There's no single solution for that. Although you don't need to replace them usually as they most often provide sufficient cooling.

What exactly are you looking to cool on the system? The CPU is a given, but do you really want to cool anything else?

leathal
06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I would suggest some of the kits from petras if you don't want to put together your own. Swiftech makes good all in one systems, but if you don't mind doing some work the kits are your best bet for everything together.

If you're planning on cooling the NB or any other components on that board you have to replace cooling on all the parts those heat pipes cover. There's no single solution for that. Although you don't need to replace them usually as they most often provide sufficient cooling.

What exactly are you looking to cool on the system? The CPU is a given, but do you really want to cool anything else?

Well the board comes with the water cooler on it for the chipset I am just not sure if it can handle the heat if the CPU makes it to 4Ghz without replacing it with a a more efficent water cooler?

I like what some of the people have done to their systems here, I just don't know if I should be PM'ing them and asking them were they got theirs or if they can make a set (mosfet ?? coolers) which I would glady pay them for!

Thanks
Leathal

Serpentarius
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Well the board comes with the water cooler on it for the chipset I am just not sure if it can handle the heat if the CPU makes it to 4Ghz without replacing it with a a more efficent water cooler?

I like what some of the people have done to their systems here, I just don't know if I should be PM'ing them and asking them were they got theirs or if they can make a set (mosfet ?? coolers) which I would glady pay them for!

Thanks
Leathal

for mosfets cooler ... checkout EK water blocks ... http://site.petrastechshop.com/other/EK_Compatibility.pdf ('EK Mosfet Compatiblity Chart') or you could get here http://www.ekwaterblocks.com

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/slike/Mosfet-ASUS1_small.jpghttp://www.ekwaterblocks.com/slike/Mosfet-ASUS1a_small.jpg

for swiftech .. i recommend it for it's ease of full kits, if you're going to cool the NB, some mobos requires you to remove the whole set - inclusive the mosfet coolers .. then that you have to get those mosfet waterblocks .. there are other brands besides EK but there's very few post bout them ..

Soulwind
06-05-2008, 05:37 AM
I don't want this to sound like a snarky response or anything (becuase it's not intended to be), but . . .

It sounds like you've got a lot of very basic questions to go yet. That's not a bad thing, I had many of the same questions on my first WC rig.

However, if I were you, I'd be doing a LOT more research before making any decisions on what to build.

Especially if you are looking to "do it right the first time".

Read all the sticky's (remember that some of them are quite old and things have changed, so go all the way up to current posts in them),
read all the threads you can, look around, find as many guides as possible (all taken with a grain of salt by the way), and then work out
what you want to do from there...

Water-Cooling is pretty great. I, for one, will probably never go back to Air now that I've done Water. It's not something to just jump into feet-first though.

Solidsnake666
06-05-2008, 06:49 AM
I don't want this to sound like a snarky response or anything (becuase it's not intended to be), but . . .

It sounds like you've got a lot of very basic questions to go yet. That's not a bad thing, I had many of the same questions on my first WC rig.

However, if I were you, I'd be doing a LOT more research before making any decisions on what to build.

Especially if you are looking to "do it right the first time".

Read all the sticky's (remember that some of them are quite old and things have changed, so go all the way up to current posts in them),
read all the threads you can, look around, find as many guides as possible (all taken with a grain of salt by the way), and then work out
what you want to do from there...

Water-Cooling is pretty great. I, for one, will probably never go back to Air now that I've done Water. It's not something to just jump into feet-first though.

I have to agree with this. Although all my friends and I did the research to "do it right the first time" we still ended up with some things that we'd wish we'd done differently. A big part of it is a learning experience. A kit is a good way to get started if you're just getting into water cooling and you're scared. Don't expect anything amazing and it's a god way to get your feet wet. Thats actually how I started.

Otherwise your best bet is definitely to do lots of research and to put a custom setup together.

From what I've seen the water cooling that comes on the striker isn't bad. But it's not great either. Depending on the amount you're spending you may want to swap out the stock cooling. And this is where it gets really tricky because most NB and SB blocks are pretty restrictive and same goes for the mosfet blocks I've had a chance to play with. You don't really want to put that all in the same loop especially if you're cooling graphics cards. There's a lot you need to consider. If you just want a quick first timer cool my CPU solution kits are great. But if you want to start cooling everything else stay away from kits and choose parts that will fit the way you want to cool everything.