PDA

View Full Version : Temperatures rising? Take a look!!!

prsinger
07-20-2002, 09:06 AM
I had noticed the temps on my Tbird 1.4 slowly rising over a period of time. Still acceptable, but noticably higher. On this particular machine I don't do a lot of experimenting, so the HSF had been in place for at least six months, maybe more.

I had occasion to remove it the other day, and was astounded by what I saw! The dust accumulation was phenominal. As you can see in the links below, the airflow was significantly restricted, I'd guess around 50% ! I couldn't blow it out with a can of compressed air. I had to pick it out from between the fins. Unreal!

The moral of the story? Take your pick:
Clean your room
Quit smoking
Change your HSF and/or CPU weekly
Drink more beer
:toast:

Dirty Pictures (http://www.satcomserv.com/hsf_pictures.html)

dmitriyaz
07-20-2002, 11:19 AM
i'd say quit smoking bro :)

The Coolest
07-20-2002, 01:58 PM
WOW, that's a lot of dust, I once had something similar on my HSF (not the AX-7) on a stock cooler, I just take it off pick all the removable dust by hand and the rest I just wast under running water in sink, let it dry, and its as good as new..

Smizack
07-20-2002, 02:00 PM
That's nothing compared to some customers houses I've been to. I can't believe some of them were still running there was so much dust. I'm talking like 5 years of buildup.

JBELL
07-20-2002, 02:14 PM
dust lowers air flow over the hsf - just take some compressed air and blow it all out yoru temps should drop again.