PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn BlackOps/Dreadnought NB Waterblock top is Aluminum

Zaskar
06-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Got a solid answer in another sub forum, it seems the Black top cover for the NB block on those boards in Anodized Aluminum unlike their pre release shots where it had a Copper and then a Brass one.

Just figured Id let anyone here know in case this will be a problem for them, as its not listed anywhere on their site or any site that sells them, and since the block itself uses so much copper you really wouldn't expect it.

With any luck one of the Waterblock manufactures will jump on this and make replacement tops. Its a little more involved then just a flat piece with barb/screw holes, the center goes down in the middle to touch the fins, like the XSPC CPU block.

chris.y2k.r1
06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
The 'ole bait and switch, the bastards! :D

nullface
06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
If its anodized is it then stille a problem?

FuriousSalesman
06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
The threads where you put the barbs are not anodized.

Gir92
06-03-2008, 08:12 AM
If its anodized is it then stille a problem?

No matter how many times you anodize and coat and cover it, aluminum is still aluminum and it is always prone to small cracks in the coating which allows bare bare aluminum to corrode.

[XC] NetburstXE
06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
That really stinks :(

Xilikon
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
No matter how many times you anodize and coat and cover it, aluminum is still aluminum and it is always prone to small cracks in the coating which allows bare bare aluminum to corrode.

And even with perfect anodizing, nothing prevent a barb from stratching the tap surface and expose bare aluminium. Never ever assume aluminium is ok no matter how it's coated ;)

NaeKuh
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
And even with perfect anodizing, nothing prevent a barb from stratching the tap surface and expose bare aluminium. Never ever assume aluminium is ok no matter how it's coated ;)

ALU is okey.

On radiator fins that are non wetted! :rofl::ROTF:

If it bothers you that much split the loop with OCZ Flex Ram.

Drop a Koolance Alu radiator and watercool both your ram and NB off that koolance rad.

[XC] NetburstXE
06-03-2008, 10:00 AM
No, most of the BlackOps northbridge waterblock is still copper.

iandh
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I've already had two people contact me about custom tops for this block/mobo; if we get five or so together I can probably cut a deal for everyone. Not trying to advertise on the forum; just trying to help out since it sucks that they are going to make the stock top aluminum. Could have at least used injection molded polycarb or something. :rolleyes:

systemviper
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I've already had two people contact me about custom tops for this block/mobo; if we get five or so together I can probably cut a deal for everyone. Not trying to advertise on the forum; just trying to help out since it sucks that they are going to make the stock top aluminum. Could have at least used injection molded polycarb or something. :rolleyes:

hey Iandh,
if you can email me again, since our im is down that would be great.
systemvipers (at) yahoo (dot) com

Zaskar
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Ha :D

If your really doing that, you can definitely count me down for one. Thats awesome man.

FuriousSalesman
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
If Iandh is going to make copper tops. That would be excellent! Is it ok to say that I want one here? The PM's are down.

Garrett
06-03-2008, 10:57 PM

If you do, will it be delrin or copper? :up:

SoulsCollective
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
WTF Foxconn?!? Way to completely alienate your intended market.

Janno
06-04-2008, 01:05 AM
WTF Foxconn?!? Way to completely alienate your intended market.

but seriously... who uses those lame bundle blocks?
slap an mcw30 or any universal nb block on it and you're good to go

SoulsCollective
06-04-2008, 01:11 AM
slap an mcw30 or any universal nb block on it and you're good to goUm...all those benchers that FoxConn gave samples to for one. Srsly, if the mobo is pitched at OCers and you include a NB cooler that supports DIce/LN2 cooling, the least you can do is include a top made of a proper material.

Zaskar
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM
slap an mcw30 or any universal nb block on it and you're good to go

That lame bundle block also helps cool the SB and Mosfets though a heatpipe. Its a very good design.

FuriousSalesman
06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I am not sure how much better or worse a mcw-30 would work, water cooling the stock NB block works quite well.

In the mean time, does anyone have some fake copper stickers to put on my alu top so I can delude myself to think that I actually have a copper top? :rofl:

Zaskar
06-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I am not sure how much better or worse a mcw-30 would work, water cooling the stock NB block works quite well.

In the mean time, does anyone have some fake copper stickers to put on my alu top so I can delude myself to think that I actually have a copper top? :rofl:

Pull an Asus and get some copper colored paint.

NaeKuh
06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
This must be the UBER Koolance MB...

last years model :rofl:

However this year i wouldnt give koolance a bad name. There showing us they can change, and have been doing a very good job at it with there fittings expecially.