PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking HT on Phenom

tam10
06-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Is it worthwhile overclocking the HT bus on a Phenom 9850?

I have clocked my phenom to 2.8Ghz (14 x 200) and was wondering if I should increase the HT multiplier from 10 to 12? That would give me an HT speed of 2.4Ghz. How much of a performance gain would this give me?

BTW my motherboard is an Asus Crosshair II Formula.

Particle
06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Performance gains will be minimal. If you want to and your chip is capable though, it certainly isn't going to decrease your performance.

boogle
06-03-2008, 07:48 AM
As Particle said, AMD doesn't really benefit from a higher HTT since it's not the same as Intel's FSB. However, it does let you overclock your RAM relatively easily, and you never know, you might get a little boost in performance :)

tam10
06-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok thanks. I'll probably leave it alone then.

What about the bus speed? Would increasing this from 200 to say 250 (and reducing the multiplier) be better than just increasing the multiplier? I have noticed that the CPU gets a lot hotter at 220 x 12.5 than at 200 x 14 for some reason.

boogle
06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
The bus speed is the 'reference clock', think of it as a clock that everything syncs up to.

For this reference, all other speeds are based, such as HTT, DRAM speed, and the CPU clock itself. So as you increase the bus speed, everything else increases (since they're based off of it).

Ultimately however, increasing the clock doesn't result in performance increases and can harm stability. Its best use with Phenom, tends to be increasing the RAM speed since you've got precious few RAM dividers available.

I don't know why the temp is different between the two unless it was a fresh application of thermal compound or some other variable.

aGeoM
06-03-2008, 01:17 PM
As Particle said, AMD doesn't really benefit from a higher HTT since it's not the same as Intel's FSB. However, it does let you overclock your RAM relatively easily, and you never know, you might get a little boost in performance :)

He is talking about HT not HTT, 2 different things ;)

aGeoM
06-03-2008, 01:22 PM
The bus speed is the 'reference clock', think of it as a clock that everything syncs up to.

For this reference, all other speeds are based, such as HTT, DRAM speed, and the CPU clock itself. So as you increase the bus speed, everything else increases (since they're based off of it).

Ultimately however, increasing the clock doesn't result in performance increases and can harm stability. Its best use with Phenom, tends to be increasing the RAM speed since you've got precious few RAM dividers available.

I don't know why the temp is different between the two unless it was a fresh application of thermal compound or some other variable.

:confused: again.

Please read this http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=258 courtesy by Tony.

demonkevy666
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
:confused: again.

Please read this http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=258 courtesy by Tony.

dose this work on lower then 9850 or not though ?

demonkevy666
06-04-2008, 12:46 PM
anyways I'm on vista 64 bit.

I can't get past 220 fsb/htt stock volts.

it's not stable past 215.

give me some tips.

aGeoM
06-05-2008, 04:47 AM
dose this work on lower then 9850 or not though ?

Sorry didn't understood your question. But it's for all Phenoms.

anyways I'm on vista 64 bit.

I can't get past 220 fsb/htt stock volts.

it's not stable past 215.

give me some tips.

Try another BIOS 113 or P0D.
Rise voltage just a little.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167447 from the beggining :rofl:

demonkevy666
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Sorry didn't understood your question. But it's for all Phenoms.

Try another BIOS 113 or P0D.
Rise voltage just a little.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167447 from the beggining :rofl:

ah for all phenom's answers my question.

hhhmmm my bios might be the problem haven't done a bios flash.

got few problems might be bios related

1. 3 pci express slot keeps going in to 8x mode. on 2.0 & normal.
2. ram won't run at 1066mhz rated voltage sticker says 1.9-2.3V
3. P-states last time I change 1 thing it the board didn't want to boot.

& thats it.