PDA

View Full Version : Mixing of metals question

jinsean
06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
So it's a fact that mixing metals in a loop is bad, but I realized that in my loop I have

- copper base plates from the mcw60 and dtek fuzion
- Brass tubes from the mcr 320
- chrome plated barb fittings

I think the biggest controversy lied in WC parts that used aluminum, which I dont' have any in my loop, but is the negative effect of mixing metals negligible for certain types of metals, then?

Thanks.

Big_Daddy
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Your fine. Alu is the biggie.

jinsean
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
What if I had a valve that was made of zinc added to loop?

Martinm210
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I have not seen any galvanic corrosion related for any of the brass/copper/nickle/chrome levels of metals, only when you get to extreme index differences of brass to aluminum.

Nickel/chrome is no different than tin/chromium based solders used for the copper plumbing in your house, so there's plenty of history supporting the lack of issue there.

I don't see any problem until you start introducing alumimum, and I'm not sure if it's entirely the anodic index or also a combination of the metal aluminum itself having more vulnerabilitys and being less durable than other metals like chrome. Whatever it is...we've seen plenty of aluminum problems on these forums but nothing regarding nickel/chrome/lead. Most of the rads and heatercores also have a lead/chrome/tin based solder but no problem there either.

?

MomijiTMO
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Just remember brass = copper + zinc and chroming is electroplating to prevent any kind of corrosion.

Yeah while we are here, don't go sticking chrome items in your mouth just in case there is any chromium(VI) complexes.

jinsean
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
thank you for the responses. This was mixing metals question was something I was confused about since I first started researching water cooling, but never got around to asking the question due to the wealth of other knowledge i had to intake at the time.

Calmatory
06-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, one could also plate the alu with some zinc. Heat transfer going to get a hit.

Or really, one should get copper stuff afterall! ;)

mpilchfamily
06-02-2008, 03:01 AM
I've never seen a Zinc fitting. Zinc and copper are bad together and can generate an electrical current. Besides Zinc is too soft on its own to be used as a fitting. Yes Brass is a mixture of zinc and copper but they are alloyed together. A process which allows them to be combined with out any of the corrosive effects of mixed metals. But since brass is copper based it is fine when combined with copper.