PDA

View Full Version : Please Help. High Temps

Mrk200
09-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Currently I'm using a Vantec AeroFlow to cool my cpu, however, my temps are really high. When fully overclocked, it running around 50C idle, and 54C under stress.

I would like to lower these temps, but I really don't want to spend much money, and I would like to keep it quiet. (College is too expensive) I was considering buying the slk-700, and taking the TMD fan off of my AeroFlow and putting it on the slk-700. Would this help at all?

This is in an Antec Lanboy case, which contains one exhaust fan, the exhaust fan in the PSU, and I placed an intake fan on the side, infront of the pci slots. I intend on placing another intake fan infront.

Are there any other suggestions for an inexpensive solution?

felix88
09-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Mrk200, WELCOME TO XTREME!!!

i'd suggest a SK7 instead of the SLK700. you'd be able to use your TMD fan for the time being, and then you could upgrade to an 80mm fan in the future when you have some extra $$.

www.svc.com has SK7s for pretty cheap.

AMD Fan
09-13-2003, 05:03 AM
You could just buy a fan first its costs less. The idea of having
air cooling , quiet system and overclocking may not go well. If
noise is a concern I would say do not overclock. Now if you had
money you could water cool and overclock very quietly. Another
thought is to get a rehostat for your fan. Sidewinder computers
sells one for 10 dollars.

ch!mera
09-13-2003, 10:43 AM
yeah a rheobus/baybus would be a good answer to effective cooling for your comp. you can keep those fans quiet, and crank em up when you really need it. i have the sunbeam rheobus, and it works liek a charm. it gives you the option of turning your fans completely off as well, which i like a lot.

shrae
09-13-2003, 10:56 AM
How are your ambient/case temps doing? And what kind of voltage are you feeding your CPU?

Thing is, the Aeroflow is actually a pretty good hs/fan. At 2400Mhz/1.8v my 2400+ is ~44C folding/gaming load, 52C p95 "heat stress" load, and only about 40C idle. That's with 28C ambient being pushed directly into hs/fan.

Mrk200
09-13-2003, 12:29 PM
I don't have anything to check ambient/case temps, but I'm pretty sure ambient is a little less than 28C. My chipset runs at 28C at full load (Vddmod @ 1.85v, with Vantec Iceburg), if that gives any clue about case temps. At 2380mhz, 1.74v, it runs at 50C idle, 54C under gaming/stress. I know this cpu could do more at 1.8V, but I'm unwilling to leave it there because the temps are just too high.

Oh, and the Aeroflow was put on using AS3. Should I re-seat the heatsink?

Perhaps the air in the case just isn't moving around enough? Although taking the side panel off doesn't reduce temps. Would another intake fan placed in the front of the case help at all? If I did install one, it would be blowing under the vid card...so that would be blocking some air movement in an already small case.

BTW, the readings I'm getting are from USDM on an Epox 8rda+, rev 1.1.

Aldus
09-14-2003, 03:13 PM
If its been over ~3 months since you installed the heatsink, re-applying the as3 / ceramique should help with the temps some. Have you lapped your heatsink ? This could lower them 1 - 5*C depending on how bad the base of the heatsink is. All you would need for that is some sandpaper.

Mrk200
09-14-2003, 04:36 PM
I'll be lapping it sometime this week, and ceramique was already on the way.