05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Looks hot ^.^

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4032446.ece

darkone414
05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Very cool. I want one.

saaya
05-30-2008, 08:20 AM
idk... it looks the same as the iphone, rather a bit worse designed actually.... i had hoped for more...

Blauhung
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
idk... it looks the same as the iphone, rather a bit worse designed actually.... i had hoped for more...

yet its based in Linux and is completely open source, much unlike the dumb iPhone.

add that to my irrational hatered of all things apple, and Google has sold me:p:

Hornet331
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM

google sells no phone, its up to the handset manufacturers to make a phone with andriod.
I hope the new HTC Diamond/Raphael will run andriod. :)

Nuker_
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
yet its based in Linux and is completely open source, much unlike the dumb iPhone.

add that to my irrational hatered of all things apple, and Google has sold me:p:

I don't like apple any more than microsoft either. A very restricted OS for noobs, and an abysmal mp3 player that has completely stolen the (mainstream) market.

Calmatory
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM

Ever heard about open source? Any clue what can be done with it for FREE? Do you know what is Linux?

If you are upset with some application, then grab the source code and make your won release which fixes the annoyances.

basically it is a simple and very small computer which uses Linux. Very interesting platform IMO. Definitely going to get one if I anyway can.

Helmore
05-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I hope the new HTC Diamond/Raphael will run andriod. :)

No they won't, unless you put is on there yourself or a wireless carrier decides to put it on there and haven't heard any plans for the latter. Pretty much all wireless carriers have always kept the 'default' OS on the phone with a small touch of customization.
The HTC Dream is what is rumored to be the HTC build Android device although there is little known about it so far, except for the fact that it will probably sport a touch screen (pretty much certain) and a keyboard of some sort (not much is know about this).

Hornet331
05-30-2008, 01:34 PM
No they won't, unless you put is on there yourself or a wireless carrier decides to put it on there and haven't heard any plans for the latter. Pretty much all wireless carriers have always kept the 'default' OS on the phone with a small touch of customization.
The HTC Dream is what is rumored to be the HTC build Android device although there is little known about it so far, except for the fact that it will probably sport a touch screen (pretty much certain) and a keyboard of some sort (not much is know about this).

i have my faith in xda-devs. :yepp:

Kallenator
05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Looks very promising! I am going to hang on the Apple "hatred" for a bit since I agree with the comments, but I still got to say that after that tiny video that probably does not say it all, the iphone still looks easier to use, moving around browsing, you know what I am on about. =)

Mk
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Awesome phone:up:

Papu
05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't like apple any more than microsoft either. A very restricted OS for noobs, and an abysmal mp3 player that has completely stolen the (mainstream) market.

yeah and what Mp3 is better?
160 gigs makes it a portable harddrive also.

Lando95
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
And I thought google actually made an android. Seriously though, am I the only one who uses a cell phone just for calls?

Ever heard about open source...

No offense, but is that a guy or girl in your avatar?

Zytek_Fan
05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
yeah and what Mp3 is better?
160 gigs makes it a portable harddrive also.

The Zune.

Hornet331
05-30-2008, 02:39 PM
No offense, but is that a guy or girl in your avatar?

lol its a dude, dude... quite easy to tell. :rofl:

revenant
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM

LOL ...... no booze for Lando! ;)

TG01
05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

The real question is : Is it his boyfriend or is he so much in love with himself..?

Lando95
05-30-2008, 03:31 PM

lol I couldnt really tell, that's why I asked ;)

LOL ...... no booze for Lando! ;)

Don't you mean no more booze? I'm already 8 deep into a 12 pack :up:

The real question is : Is it his boyfriend or is he so much in love with himself..?

OMG ROFLWTFBBQ! :rofl:

Back OT: Are the software apps on the Iphone really that bad?

hoop
05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
wow this is pretty kewl!

ryanmartini
05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
dont forget this is googles base setup of android showing capabilities. Wait till the open source community gets their hands on it :D Possibilities are limitless.

http://code.google.com/android/

there are some of the app ideas we might see in android addons :D

Calmatory
05-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Back OT: Are the software apps on the Iphone really that bad?

Why would they be? Just look at any major open source project and see if they are bad. Good example would be Linux, or the hundreds of OS'es which use it as kernel.

Android will not be completely open source though.

xlink
05-30-2008, 11:57 PM

it's running linux. expect great things. there is a reason why people are flashing ipods cell phones etc. to linux. TONS OF FEATURES EVERYWHERE

Macadamia
05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
The Zune.

YOU WIN THIS THREAD :rofl:

Big fan of the Zune over here too.

As for Android, nice. This vs Nokia + Sony E.'s Symbian UIQ touch, vs Windows Mobile 7 or even the HTC Touch Diamond, makes competition fierce.

I just don't want an iPhone/iPod touch. It looks weird and out of place IMHO.

Frank M
05-31-2008, 04:38 AM

Design is by far not everything.
Design is the first thing you see, but once you start using it, you'll find
that there's a lot more: useability, features, customizeability, etc.
I can only compare it to Win Mobile-based phones as that's what I have.
Customizeability IMO is a great aspect. WM-based phones can be
customized in theory, but you'll need to edit code for that (or pay for
some programs that do this in a more user-friendly manner). This, OTOH,
lets you do it in a very simple and user-friendly way.
Also, this seems fast and fluid - unlike WM, which would be noticeably
slower, at least mine can sometimes bog down for seconds even though
it has a relatively fast processor ((ex-)Intel PXA270 416MHz).

Seriously though, am I the only one who uses a cell phone just for calls?

I used to: up until I got my PDA/smartphone recently, I was using an
old mobile that was useable only for calls and sms, it had no camera,
monochrome screen and all. But since I started working, I felt the need
for a synchronizeable calendar, and the ability to receive emails over
wifi and read documents in a pocket-size device is very useful IMO.
Compared to normal phones, this wasn't much more expensive either.

Serra
05-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Ever heard about open source? Any clue what can be done with it for FREE? Do you know what is Linux?

If you are upset with some application, then grab the source code and make your won release which fixes the annoyances.

basically it is a simple and very small computer which uses Linux. Very interesting platform IMO. Definitely going to get one if I anyway can.

Not to pick on you personally, but I *hate* that argument with a passion. It's not like Open Source really means that anyone can change anything they want - it's still a world where less than 1% of us can competently program.

So what does Open Source mean to those who can't just break out their awesome programming skills? Nothing, except that maybe they'll pay a little less. Of course, they'll receive less customer service too.

ghost101
05-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Not to pick on you personally, but I *hate* that argument with a passion. It's not like Open Source really means that anyone can change anything they want - it's still a world where less than 1% of us can competently program.

So what does Open Source mean to those who can't just break out their awesome programming skills? Nothing, except that maybe they'll pay a little less. Of course, they'll receive less customer service too.

You dont have to. If 1% can truly program that well, there will undoubtedly be customizations available on online for those who cant.

The video said theyre giving this platform away for free? So the phones would be cheaper.Also imagine the applications thatw ill be mde in comparison to the restrictive iphone. I dont care that it doesnt look as slick as the iphone. If the windows vista uproar has taught us anything, people care about functionality more. (I like Vista btw)

Calmatory
05-31-2008, 07:15 AM

I understand what you mean. The whole Linux concept is build with the ability to tweak in mind. If you don't like something, go change it in simple .conf file instead of wishing that the manufacturer made proper tools to change the settings.

For example, you aren't happy with Androids own calendar. So aren't 60% of the other people using it. There are (around 0,6 % of users ;))people who can change it. They will change it. They will create their own calendar program. So you get better calendar program for free, and Google can focus on other aspects than calendar/programs.

xytrius
05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Please tell me if I am getting this right: :)

1. Android is an open source platform for mobile devices based on Linux.

2. Google profits because Android has software tools built into it that uses Google online applications like Search, Maps, Docs, Calendar, Email etc.

3. Google will not charge hardware manufacturers for the use of the Android platform, but will hope to generate revenue from ads in its online applications.

Calmatory
05-31-2008, 07:41 AM
It will not be 100 % open source. Majority of it will be as open as possible. :up:

ryanmartini
06-01-2008, 06:28 AM
to those interested in the phones ability being open source, download the top 50
apps being deved for it right now :)

http://code.google.com/android/images/adc1r1_deck.pdf

Looks like we could have all kinds of tools :D