PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a used radiator

Solidsnake666
05-28-2008, 05:44 AM
I just got hold of a bunch of water cooling parts for free from a friend of mine. Cleaned everything out already and tested the pump, but i have a problem with the radiator.

I Cleaned it out and the water coming through it when hooked up is nice and clean. The problem is on the outside. The fins were coated in crap. I ran water through them and sprayed canned air. It's gotten most of the crap out but the one side opposite the barbs still has a film of dirt. What can I use to clean these without bending all the fins?

Sparda
05-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Have you tried very hot water on the fins. It work fine for me.

Big_Daddy
05-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Soak it, then use pipe cleaners

Solidsnake666
05-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Have you tried very hot water on the fins. It work fine for me.

I tried fairly hot water... didn't want to use boiling water. Would that be a good idea?

Soak it, then use pipe cleaners

I'll have to try that. I guess just be careful not to bend the fins with the pipe cleaners.

Solidsnake666
06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Ok so I've tried everything to get this radiator clean. I'm about to chuck it at the wall now. I've soaked it in hot water, I've soaked it in 100% isopropyl alcohol, and I tried cleaning it with pipe cleaners after soaking it both times.

I hope someone has a better idea that really works cause shortly I'm going to say screw it and just go buy a new rad. Here's some pics of this thing after all the cleaning.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7086/cimg0648pf9.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9522/cimg0650cb7.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8256/cimg0657sz3.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5525/cimg0662af9.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4462/cimg0663ps0.jpg
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7833/cimg0668ja6.jpg
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1849/cimg0672it9.jpg

as you can see it doesn't really look clean...

Also there are some bent fins I noticed after my last post in here. I don't think they're bad enough to hurt performance but here's what that looks like.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4981/cimg0678ma5.jpg

So what should i do? Is it even worth cleaning?

Also as a side question, is it going to be possible to paint this thing afterwards without hurting performance. blue is not going to fit with the color scheme of the system it's going in.

skinnee
06-01-2008, 06:10 PM
scrubbing bubbles and a nylon bristle brush? :shrug:

bigslappy
06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Take it to a RAD shop & have them Hot Tank it for you

this is very important >>>>>>

Just make sure that they don't pressure test it !!!!

hot tanking will remove everything including the paint but will not hurt a copper Rad if it has plastic end pieces yer F**k't on hot tanking

Serpentarius
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
flush it with vinegar+hot water

get some pliers and re-align the fins ... viola

check out the screw tappings ... see if there's a fault (most ppl sell rad becoz the screw tappings)

Solidsnake666
06-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Take it to a RAD shop & have them Hot Tank it for you

this is very important >>>>>>

Just make sure that they don't pressure test it !!!!

hot tanking will remove everything including the paint but will not hurt a copper Rad if it has plastic end pieces yer F**k't on hot tanking

Any idea on what that would cost? I mean this rad is a black ice pro. If it's gonna cost more than $25 i might as well pick up a new one. Or better yet spend the few extra bucks and get a better rad. I just wanted to use this because I got it for free. Although if it's less than that and once it's done I can paint it no problem that would definitely be worth it

flush it with vinegar+hot water

get some pliers and re-align the fins ... viola

check out the screw tappings ... see if there's a fault (most ppl sell rad becoz the screw tappings)

By screw tappings you mean for the barbs? They are good. I've already tested this rad there are no leaks or anything wrong with it other than the bent fins and the dirt. I got it off one of my good buddy's and the only reason he was getting rid of it is because it's from his old system and he switched back to air cooling and doesn't plan on water cooling for a while. He was gonna just throw it, along with a mcp350 pump, a res, and some other goodies out. So as any good computer geek should, I saved it all :D

Serpentarius
06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Any idea on what that would cost? I mean this rad is a black ice pro. If it's gonna cost more than $25 i might as well pick up a new one. Or better yet spend the few extra bucks and get a better rad. I just wanted to use this because I got it for free. Although if it's less than that and once it's done I can paint it no problem that would definitely be worth it

remember to sand it and prime it b4 painting :)

By screw tappings you mean for the barbs? They are good. I've already tested this rad there are no leaks or anything wrong with it other than the bent fins and the dirt. I got it off one of my good buddy's and the only reason he was getting rid of it is because it's from his old system and he switched back to air cooling and doesn't plan on water cooling for a while. He was gonna just throw it, along with a mcp350 pump, a res, and some other goodies out. So as any good computer geek should, I saved it all :D

sounds like u got a bargain ... about the threads .. check out the tappings for the fans .. both front and back ...
if there's a faulty .. hrm ... u still can use ziptipes to bond the fans

Solidsnake666
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
remember to sand it and prime it b4 painting :)

sounds like u got a bargain ... about the threads .. check out the tappings for the fans .. both front and back ...
if there's a faulty .. hrm ... u still can use ziptipes to bond the fans

Of course i'd sand and prime. But with the rad as it is now it would take some work before I could paint it. Sanding and priming is nothing.

The fan screw taps all still work as well. When he gave it to me it actually still had 2 delta fans and rad box still attached. He just took it off and gave it to me as it was. It's a first rev radbox also which makes me wonder how old this stuff actually is since I haven't seen anyone carry the metal rev 1 radbox in a while.

bigslappy
06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
a simple dip in a hot tank won't cost much as they don't have to do anything else , just ask for just the dip, explain it's not worth rebuilding it
with hot tanking there is no sanding just wash & paint it ! Just flush it well before using

Solidsnake666
06-01-2008, 08:29 PM
a simple dip in a hot tank won't cost much as they don't have to do anything else , just ask for just the dip, explain it's not worth rebuilding it
with hot tanking there is no sanding just wash & paint it ! Just flush it well before using

Ok thanks! I'll have to find out where I can get that done near me. Any suggestions on what type of paint and primer to use on it once it's done? I don't know if any type of paint would prevent the heat from transferring to the air as well more than another.

septim
06-01-2008, 08:48 PM
you probably can't paint the fins all over, just those edges that you can see. straighten them out with needle/long nose pliers, prime and piant. the fins probably just simple coat, while the outer body you can coat and clear coat afterwards

enamel paints or lacquer paints give good results, with enamel giving a little better refection when properly done and clear coated. black is the usual color and you can mirror finish it if you want.

Solidsnake666
06-02-2008, 05:41 AM
you probably can't paint the fins all over, just those edges that you can see. straighten them out with needle/long nose pliers, prime and piant. the fins probably just simple coat, while the outer body you can coat and clear coat afterwards

enamel paints or lacquer paints give good results, with enamel giving a little better refection when properly done and clear coated. black is the usual color and you can mirror finish it if you want.

I was thinking maybe a flat black actually. The fins color doesn't matter as much since they'll be covered by a fan and the outside of the case, more than anything I want them clean before installing them for performance reasons.

Btw how do i know if it has plastic end pieces? If you mean the barbs i can remove/replace them.

bigslappy
06-02-2008, 06:51 AM
on second look at yer pix it's an all copper rad & as RRR said Krylon Flat Black is your freind & blue tape the fins