PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme (lack of) Bandwidth: Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN G ver3.1

LinusTech
05-26-2008, 08:23 PM
edit: Mods please move to general memory. I checked the General Hardware section for "Memory" and it wasn't there so I posted here without checking for a subforum here...

Well. I'm not impressed to say the least. Picked up a P5E3 Deluxe wi-fi (haven't flashed to Premium yet b/c I don't have a CPU that will POST at 1.0V).

This kit of RAM is supposed to support XMP, but enabling it in the BIOS yields the following timings. Also included in this image is a shot of the profiles that the RAM has. You can see that the part number is correct for DDR3 1600, but nothing else seems to be right....

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/misoprostol/Random Image Hosting/Untitled.jpg

Manually settings 8x400 on my Q6600 (known good for this kind of speed easily) and setting the memory manually to PC3-12800 7-7-7-20 1.9V yields a no post. In fact anything higher than 1066 C8 seems to cause a no POST.

Any insight?

bachus_anonym
05-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi!

Let's try to work this out. Although, I have to admit that I'm surprised that your kit doesn't show XMP profile, despite the fact that it seems to be 1600DHXIN part.

What BIOS revision is on your board? I'd suggest flashing to 1203 (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5E3_DELUXE/P5E3-Deluxe-1203.zip) before we start, to make sure you have the latest one. Depending on how recent BIOS your board shipped with, this may be important as several recent BIOS updates added few fixes around 1600FSB/1600DDR3.

Once you're ready with 1203, use BIOS settings below:

Ai Overclock Tuner - [Manual]
Ratio CMOS Setting - [7] <-- or 8, if you want to stick with your Q6600 OC
FSB Strap to North Bridge - [Auto]
FSB Frequency – [400]
PCIE Frequency - [100]
DRAM Frequency - [DDR3-1601]
DRAM Command Rate - [2N]
DRAM Timing Control - [Manual]
CAS# Latency - [7 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# to CAS# Delay – [7 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Precharge – [7 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Active Time – [20 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# to RAS# Delay – [Auto]
Row Refresh Cycle Time – [Auto] <-- or 60/72 clocks if you've a BIOS that defaults to 48 at DDR3-1600
Write Recovery Time – [Auto]
Read to Precharge Time – [Auto]
Read to Write Delay (S/D) – [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (S) – [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (D) – [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (S) – [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (D) - [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (S) - [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (D) - [Auto]
DRAM Static Read Control - [Auto]
DRAM Dynamic Write Control - [Auto]
Ai Clock Twister - [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel A - [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel B - [Auto]
Ai Transaction Booster - [Auto]
CPU Voltage - [1.4000] <-- or whatever your CPU needs for 3.2GHz
CPU PLL Voltage – [Auto]
FSB Termination Voltage - [Auto]
DRAM Voltage – [1.90v]
North Bridge Voltage – [1.51v]
South Bridge Voltage - [Auto]
Clock Over-Charging Mode - [Auto]
CPU Voltage Damper - [Auto]
CPU Voltage Reference - [ Auto]
NB Voltage Reference - [Auto]
CPU Spread Spectrum - [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum - [Auto]

Also, as a side test, once you're on 1203 BIOS, could you briefly change Ai Overclock Tuner from Manual to XMP, and see if XMP settings don't show under, in grey letters?

Let me know how that all goes, please.

LinusTech
05-26-2008, 09:31 PM
This is with the latest BIOS. I couldn't even get the board to POST at default speeds with more than one stick with the shipping BIOS. I'll try that stuff once I'm done editing some documents for my g/f.

Thanks for the (incredibly) quick reply.

Linus

Hi!

Let's try to work this out. Although, I have to admit that I'm surprised that your kit doesn't show XMP profile, despite the fact that it seems to be 1600DHXIN part.

What BIOS revision is on your board? I'd suggest flashing to 1203 (http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5E3_DELUXE/P5E3-Deluxe-1203.zip) before we start, to make sure you have the latest one. Depending on how recent BIOS your board shipped with, this may be important as several recent BIOS updates added few fixes around 1600FSB/1600DDR3.

Once you're ready with 1203, use BIOS settings below:

Ai Overclock Tuner - [Manual]
Ratio CMOS Setting - [7] <-- or 8, if you want to stick with your Q6600 OC
FSB Strap to North Bridge - [Auto]
FSB Frequency – [400]
PCIE Frequency - [100]
DRAM Frequency - [DDR3-1601]
DRAM Command Rate - [2N]
DRAM Timing Control - [Manual]
CAS# Latency - [7 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# to CAS# Delay – [7 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Precharge – [7 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# Active Time – [20 DRAM Clocks]
RAS# to RAS# Delay – [Auto]
Row Refresh Cycle Time – [Auto] <-- or 60/72 clocks if you've a BIOS that defaults to 48 at DDR3-1600
Write Recovery Time – [Auto]
Read to Precharge Time – [Auto]
Read to Write Delay (S/D) – [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (S) – [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (D) – [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (S) – [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (D) - [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (S) - [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (D) - [Auto]
DRAM Static Read Control - [Auto]
DRAM Dynamic Write Control - [Auto]
Ai Clock Twister - [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel A - [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel B - [Auto]
Ai Transaction Booster - [Auto]
CPU Voltage - [1.4000] <-- or whatever your CPU needs for 3.2GHz
CPU PLL Voltage – [Auto]
FSB Termination Voltage - [Auto]
DRAM Voltage – [1.90v]
North Bridge Voltage – [1.51v]
South Bridge Voltage - [Auto]
Clock Over-Charging Mode - [Auto]
CPU Voltage Damper - [Auto]
CPU Voltage Reference - [ Auto]
NB Voltage Reference - [Auto]
CPU Spread Spectrum - [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum - [Auto]

Also, as a side test, once you're on 1203 BIOS, could you briefly change Ai Overclock Tuner from Manual to XMP, and see if XMP settings don't show under, in grey letters?

Let me know how that all goes, please.

LinusTech
05-26-2008, 11:11 PM
no dice. 800 was a no POST.

Looking closely at your settings, that's almost exactly what I tried when I manually set the timings. I had the NB voltage at 1.45 and all spread spectrums set to disabled. Other than that, identical (including the 7x multi).

I'm booted into windows right now at 534.5MHz 7-7-7-20 with 1.9V, 1.51V northbridge, and 7x multi. Next thing I try will be 667.

LinusTech
05-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Okay. Random. I'm up at 667 7-7-7-20 all other settings the same. Maybe I'll try creeping slowly up to 800 and see where it craps out.

edit1: (guess I shouldn't be triple posting haha): I can get up to 795 into Windows. Maybe I was missing one of your settings afterall because this is way better than I was able to do before with these modules.

Setting it to 7x400 still causes no POST though. 7x395 with all your settings the same causes a failure after 1 minute of Prime95 blend.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that between not having any XMP profiles, and not running at rated speed on the platform that they were practically made for is a pretty strong indication that I have defective memory on my hands. I can't rule out the board though because I don't have any other DDR3 memory to test with.

edit2: Small FFT has been running since my last edit, so I'm pretty confident it was the memory that caused the failure. All 4 threads failed within 2 minutes with blend and have been running for almost 1/2 an hour with small FFT.

edit3: lowered it to 750MHz same voltages, timings, etc. Instances 1 & 2 (of 4) of Blend failed in 5 and 6 minutes respectively.

edit4: lowered to 700MHz everything else the same. Blend is still running 1/2 an hour later, but it's bed time.

bachus_anonym
05-27-2008, 05:18 AM
Sorry to hear you still have problems. Just confirm or rule out memory as an issue:

- make sure you have your memory plugged into black DIMM sockets (DIMM A2 + DIMM B2), or sockets #2 and #4 if counted from CPU / Northbridge?
- try booting with a single module at a time in socket DIMM B2 or furthest out if counted from CPU); try Windows or perhaps quick run of Memtest 2.01, 5-10 loops, test pattern #5 or #8?
- can you stabilize if running 9-9-9 or 8-8-8 instead?
- could you tell me what lot number you have printed on your modules - last sequence of digits, starting with either 07xx or 08xx, or better yet snap a picture for me if you have access to a camera;

Thank you for your time and patience while we troubleshoot the issue.

LinusTech
05-27-2008, 08:07 AM
1. Memory modules have been installed in the black slots all along. I tried the blue ones initially "just in case" cuz you never know, but it didn't help.

2. I'll have to do that tonight. Gotta get to work.

3. C9 at 495 craps out in about a minute on two instances

4. Picture attached:

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/Misoprostol/Random Image Hosting/module_small.jpg (http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/Misoprostol/Random Image Hosting/module.jpg)

Sorry to hear you still have problems. Just confirm or rule out memory as an issue:

- make sure you have your memory plugged into black DIMM sockets (DIMM A2 + DIMM B2), or sockets #2 and #4 if counted from CPU / Northbridge?
- try booting with a single module at a time in socket DIMM B2 or furthest out if counted from CPU); try Windows or perhaps quick run of Memtest 2.01, 5-10 loops, test pattern #5 or #8?
- can you stabilize if running 9-9-9 or 8-8-8 instead?
- could you tell me what lot number you have printed on your modules - last sequence of digits, starting with either 07xx or 08xx, or better yet snap a picture for me if you have access to a camera;

Thank you for your time and patience while we troubleshoot the issue.

LinusTech
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
update:

sticks seem to run okay in slot 4 individually through P95 blend.

Yellowbeard
05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
update:

sticks seem to run okay in slot 4 individually through P95 blend.Sounds like possibly a bad MOBO. Do you have access to another DDR3 board to test with? Also, have you tested the modules individually with Legacy USB Support disabled using Memtest?

LinusTech
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
None of this really explains the lack of XMP profiles on my DHXIN RAM though... XMP setting in the BIOS does nothing.

Yellowbeard
05-28-2008, 11:52 AM
None of this really explains the lack of XMP profiles on my DHXIN RAM though... XMP setting in the BIOS does nothing.

A corrupt bios or bad board could explain it.

LinusTech
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Alright, well I guess I'll just sell these and go back to DDR2. Already more headache than I'm interested in. Thanks for your help, Yellowbeard.

antonka
06-25-2008, 11:59 AM

I have exactly the same problem! I had ddr3 1800 sticks before and XMP was recognized but not with this memory! Here is the link to my thread:
http://asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?p=355040&posted=1#post355040

Yellowbeard
06-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I replied at the other thread too.

If you have 2 consecutive kits with the same problem, it is not likely the memory. Can you list ALL of the information from the stickers on each module. Or, a pic of each module clearly showing the sticker would be helpful.

ceevee
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I have this exact same RAM. 2 KITS for 8GB total. :)

I found that the Foxconn Blackops would not read the XMB SPD settings at first either (It wouldn't post on the shipping BIOS either).

After a BIOS update the Blackops did read and set the timings and frequency correctly according to XMB, however it would not run Vista stable at these XMB SPD settings.

The fastest I was able to run them was 1345Mhz 6-6-6-16 1T for 8GB.

I am switching now to 790i striker II extreme and SLI GTX280s. I am keeping this RAM and really hope I can get a better result on the ASUS motherboard.

My RAM is 8GB (2 box sets) WIN3X40961600C7DHXIN.

If any of the Corsair guys could offer any advice on getting 8GB to run at factory settings that would be really nice.

Yellowbeard
06-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Set the timings and voltages manually if you aren't already as 4 modules are not part of the Intel XMP specification or tested configurations. Also, have you increased your memory controller voltage? If not, you'll need to 4 up. Make sure it is well cooled.