PDA

View Full Version : Fishy news

twilyth
05-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Flying fish stays above the water for 45 seconds. Video. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24758890/)

A Japanese TV crew has filmed what is believed to be the longest flight of a flying fish ever recorded.

The NHK television network said one of its camera crews captured the 45-second flight on video on Monday, from a ferry near Kuchino-erabu island in southwestern Japan's Kagoshima Prefecture. The crew was reportedly on its way to shoot footage for a nature documentary.

The fish can be seen occasionally beating its tail against the surface of the water to keep itself aloft. The ferry was traveling at a speed of about 20 mph (30 kilometers per hour) during the encounter, NHK said.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

More than 50 species of flying fish, in the marine family known as Exocoetidae, are found in warmer ocean waters worldwide. They can rise out of the water to avoid predators underneath, and stretch out its long pectoral fins to glide through the air.

Usually the fish remain airborne for just a few seconds before landing back in the water — but as Monday's video demonstrated, they can give themselves another boost with their tail fins. The previous record for a fish's compound flight was 42 seconds, reported from Florida by a sea captain with a stopwatch in 1928.

Other experts have cited flights lasting 28 seconds.

A 45-second flight may well be close to the physical limit for a flying fish, since the creature must suspend brachial respiration in the air, NHK reported.

[cTx] Nooc
05-24-2008, 02:35 PM
It's got wings. I'm not impressed.

nfm
05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
20 mph (30 kilometers per hour)
:shakes:

BenchZowner
05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Video cannot be displayed due to usage restrictions ? WTF

twilyth
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Video cannot be displayed due to usage restrictions ? WTF
I just checked. It should work. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.14 and I have a flash blocker installed. I had some trouble the first time, but the next time it worked.
Maybe try clicking on the article title under the launch button. Should do the same thing but you never know.

edit =- it needs a pop up window to run - maybe a pop up blocker is in the way?

YukonTrooper
05-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I just checked. It should work. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.14 and I have a flash blocker installed. I had some trouble the first time, but the next time it worked.
You mean a fish blocker? Heh. :p:

BenchZowner
05-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Maybe try clicking on the article title under the launch button. Should do the same thing but you never know.

edit =- it needs a pop up window to run - maybe a pop up blocker is in the way?

Weird
http://i30.tinypic.com/makx1u.jpg

twilyth
05-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Strange, I'd send a quick email to the web master. Not even sure what they mean. Are the restrictions on their end, your end, what kind of restrictions?

Maybe someone will post it to youtube.

BenchZowner
05-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm afraid that the problem lies on my end...they're probably blocking me because I used to go fishing and they're afraid about their fish :p:

Eldonko
05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Cool, I went for sushi yesterday and ate a few thousand of their eggs. Take that flying fish

MikeB12
05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
YT link to the 45 sec video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3u7diLCfU&fmt=18

imo he just caught a good breeze... I've seen these things when offshore fishing all the time, they skip along beside the boat on the way out...