PDA

View Full Version : What is HWBOT?

little_scrapper
05-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Im not much for reading so can someone give me a quick rundown of what is HWBOT and how it works?

:shrug:

Hyperhorn
05-22-2008, 07:21 AM
C'mon why are you so lazy? :rolleyes:
hwbot is a website for OCers, most are organized in teams (XS is there for example).
You can upload results for graphic cards and CPUs in certain benchmarks to earn points. Better results --> more points
There are some categories for guys who go for world records like kIngpIn and hardware collectors like Bwanasoft.
Important is to follow some basic rules how to upload a score, because cheating/ faking is not allowed of course.

Just go there and figure it out, it's really not hard to understand. :)
http://www.hwbot.org/

MikeB12
05-22-2008, 07:29 AM
LOLZ http://www.hwbot.org/hwbot.info.do

About hwbot.
What is hwbot?

Hwbot is a website dedicated to gathering specifications and benchmarks of computer hardware. You can use hwbot to compare processors or videocards with each other, or to compare your own computer to ten thousands of other people, to see whether it performs well. Hwbot is not limited to one benchmark application, but a whole suite of the most popular benchmark applications available.

Hwbot is unique in several ways. In contrary to other hardware sites, the performance of the hardware is not based on one user experience, but based on a community of thousands of users. This is especially usefull when inspecting the overclockability of a processor or videocard. One reviewer being able to overclock a certain processor 20% over stock speed means very little, but if hundreds of users manage to overclock it by 20% on average, you know a whole lot more.

Using hwbot encourages your forum vistors. You can configure our botservice to scan a specific forum topic to monitor for benchmark results. If a forum visitor posts a benchmark result in the topic, it will automatically be added to the team ranking once scanned by a bot.

Due to the excellent set of features and active crew, hwbot has grown to be the favorite place for overclockers (people who run there system faster than factory settings) to compete. Check out the team, member and result hall of fame.
History.

Hwbot started as a school task, but due to large success development continued after graduation. For the first 18 months the hwbot crew existed solely from richba5tard, a former madshrimps reviewer. As popularity tripled each 6 months, additional crewmembers where necessary.

Things really speeded up when mtzki joined, intellectual father of some key hwbot features like hwboints. Once Saucy joined, a walking videocard library, the videocard database grew respectably, making hwbot an excellent resource for videocard specifications. Sadhiq recently joined to maintain the processor specifications, at which he’s doing a great job too. Massman is our primary result moderator, who looks after the validity and consistency of the submitted benchmark result, removing all cheaters instantly.
How it works.

There are 3 ways to submit a benchmark result to hwbot.

1. use the online submission form
2. use a benchmark application which makes use of hwbot external interface, like wPrime.
3. post your score on a hwbot monitored forum

posted on 20 December, 2006 by frederikcolardyn

little_scrapper
05-22-2008, 10:57 AM
The reason I was curious is because I heard someone say something to the effect they were going to get good points by using some way old hardware and someone else saying that yea because no one else would be using it he would get some points.

Anyways, This lead me to question what it was and how the point system for it worked. But not enough to actually look it up. I'd just ask.

Hyperhorn
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.hwbot.org/hwbot.post.do?postId=38

What are hwboints?
hwboints = global points + hardware points

global points (top 5): (50,40,35,30,25 * application weight) * 0.6
global points (other): ((-20/145) * your rank + (600/29) * application weight) * 0.6
hardware points (top 5): (5,4…1 * hardware weight) * 2
application weigth: 0.5 (<500 participants) - 2 (2000 or more participants)
hardware weigth: 0.2 (1 participant) - 1 (100 or more participants)
Hwboints are basically points handed out to for a score. Getting awards is great, but we recognize the fact that certain awards are much, much harder to get than others, and that not getting an award for a great score (eg. 10th in SuperPi ranking) is not fair. Like awards, hwboints can be recieved for either being high in the global rank or hardware rank. Unlike awards, the hwboints are greatly influenced by how many people participate in the global / hardware ranking. You will recieve a lot more hwboints for having a high rank in superpi, than having one in a less popular ranking, like pifast.

global hwboints are based upon:

your position in the rank of the application
the amount of people that participate in the ranking (more = better)
hardware hwboints are based upon:

your position in the rank of the application with the same hardware
the amount of people that use the same hardware and have submitted results
The total amount of hwboints for your submitted result is the sum of global + hardware hwboints.

The user hwboints are the total amount of hwboints for all the results that are coupled to this user. These are both the results that have been submitted online, and the results that have been scanned by a bot, and of which the user has authenticated his login of that forum.

The team hwboints are the total amount of hwboints for all the results that are coupled to all the users of this team.

The hwboints algorithm has been tweaked before making it public, but minor changes may still happen. If you find the current algorithm unfair, please let us know in our forums.

little_scrapper
05-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Umm yes.... So does that mean that if i have an old video card that NOBODY has ever submitted a score with, i will get MORE points? If i dust off my old 386 and run super pi will i be the king!!! hehe

Hyperhorn
05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
If nobody else has a result with certain hardware you get points of course.
BUT
-if many guys upload results for the same CPU/ GPU the points raises up. Because if 30 guys runs a 386 then it's more difficult to be #3 than to be #1 of 2, ins't it? ;)
-there is a limit. In the past hardware collectors could be #1 overclocker in ranking, if they had many results. Now -because we differ hardware and global points- only serious damage will bring you in reach of the big ones. But there's a own ranking for the collectors. :)

little_scrapper
05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
OK I get it I think. Sounds pretty cool. Thanks guys. I appreciate you helping out and being total enablers with my lazyness. ;)

tiborrr
06-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Me & Moonman just brought ~ 950 points to the Xtremesystems hwbot team. :)

jmke
06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
what's the reason of the team swap?

tiborrr
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
The owner of the site deleted all of his scores because hwbot.org kept reporting it for lack of validation (despite they were more than a year old, they're are even threads about it with photos on our website forums). He deleted his 450-and-something points worth of results, that pushed our team from the off the top 20 ladder.

As you remember, we (OC-Lab2) were constantly neck-on-neck with OC Team Norway, OC.com UA & OC-Team.be

That's why i decided i'll rather help the website where i first started to learn about serious overclocking.

ZOMGVTEK
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh yea.. i got some stuffs i needs to throw on there...

Still didnt break the 100pt barrier :(

[XC] gomeler
06-26-2008, 02:10 AM
The owner of the site deleted all of his scores because hwbot.org kept reporting it for lack of validation (despite they were more than a year old, they're are even threads about it with photos on our website forums). He deleted his 450-and-something points worth of results, that pushed our team from the off the top 20 ladder.

As you remember, we (OC-Lab2) were constantly neck-on-neck with OC Team Norway, OC.com UA & OC-Team.be

That's why i decided i'll rather help the website where i first started to learn about serious overclocking.

Sweet, welcome aboard! :D

Oh yea.. i got some stuffs i needs to throw on there...

Still didnt break the 100pt barrier :(

Doooo itttttttt :slap:

loonym
06-27-2008, 05:59 AM
That's why i decided i'll rather help the website where i first started to learn about serious overclocking.Great to see you guys. I think this is the forum where lot of people catch the bug and learn from the best. You and moon rank right up there in that class with the ones I watch when I want to learn. :up:

tiborrr
06-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Thank you very much, gomeler & loonym for your kind words. Now it's the time to climb back up towards 600 points marker :up:

s e r e n i t y
09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
This seems interesting, I might get into it this weekend :)

Riggs
09-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I think its fun. But it just makes it all the more tempting to get new stuff!

Pntgrd
09-24-2008, 09:26 AM
I didn't see this above so I will ask. What causes you to receive a Gold Cup Hardware Award?

Riggs
09-24-2008, 12:52 PM
If you have the first place overall for that Exact CPU/Video card on the benchmark. Single and multi Gpu categories for video testing.

Pntgrd
09-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I am guessing that that is have/ or had the top spot at one time. I have one on my Profile but I am not at the top anymore. I wondered how I got it?

Riggs
09-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Its weird that you still have a gold medal in 3Dmark05, but for a CPU instead of a video card. :s

Pntgrd
09-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Its weird that you still have a gold medal in 3Dmark05, but for a CPU instead of a video card. :sYes, I agree, cause I don't know why but I am not going to complain :beer:

I mean I like benching and I like playing with hardware, but I never expected that and was quite surprised to see it. Maybe I was the first to bench and 8600 and a 4870 cause most everyone could probably beat my un-optimized score. :beer::beer: