PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new mouse

Linchpin
05-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Sadly after just over a year my Razer DA is starting to die:( So it's time for something new. Now I'm massively dissapointed the DA lasted such a short time especially since my MX518 is still going strong after 3 years.

The shortlist so far is:

Logitech G5 Rev. 2: Nearly identical shape to MX518 but I have my doubts about this one for some reason.

Razer Lachesis: The self proclaimed worlds best mouse but the ambidextrous design and the fact that I'm pretty angry with Razer at this stage is against it.

Logitech G9: Now this looks great but I haven't been able to find one to see how it fits in my hand so any comments with regards to it's feel are appreciated.

Should also probably mention that I have pretty small hands. If you have any of the above mice please post what you like and dislike about it.

Thanks

kiikkuja
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Maybe you shouldn't invest in new mouse, rather use the money to buy a proper mouse mat. I'm using mx518 and icemat 2 with the skeets provided by
icemat and i'm loving it. It's by far the best setup i've used ever!!

One thing I must mention though keeping the icemat is PITA...it really is if you have animals or such...you have to constantly clean the surface in fear of scratching the glass surface...at least it feels like that.

Linchpin
05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I've already got a Razer Exactmat and since my mouse is starting to die as in mouse clicks occasionaly(once every few minutes) don't register I don't think a new mouse pad will do anything.

YukonTrooper
05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
+1 for the MX518. I use it with the Func Industries 1030 Archetype pad and teflon mouse tape I got off of eBay. You just cut little chunks off of a strip to put on your mouse feet. Like silk on ice.

Cranox
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I hade the mx518 , G5 rev1 ( broken but under warranty , after 6 month gaming not good responding at the left mouse clicks ) and G5 rev2 , best one i find is the G5 rev2

cegras
05-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I find the G5 mouse buttons to be a bit too thin and too easy to click (the buttons are way, way light). I've tried out the habu and the deathadder and was pleasantly surprised by them, actually.

Linchpin
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
The thing that always irratated me with the MX518/G5 shape was that my ring finger always felt uncomfortable for some reason but my accuracy in FPS games(especially in LANs) was still higher with the MX518 than it is with the Death Adder.

AliG
05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Despite its looks the g9 is a great mouse, takes some time to get used to though (but it will definitely make use of a nice mat)

YukonTrooper
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
The thing that always irratated me with the MX518/G5 shape was that my ring finger always felt uncomfortable for some reason but my accuracy in FPS games(especially in LANs) was still higher with the MX518 than it is with the Death Adder.
I found the exact same thing about a year ago. The flatter mice were more comfortable, but the hump design of the Logitech mice gave me a gaming advantage. I seem to have adjusted to the hump design over time.

Linchpin
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I had a lot less problems with the hump design when I was using it on a daily basis but trying my MX518 after a year with a Death Adder was just like "Damn, I forgot what this mouse is like". The G5 is currently in pole position for me since I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the price difference between that and the G9 not to mention the G9 is a total oddball when it comes to shape and I wouldn't want to risk spending that much on a mouse I might end up finding uncomfortable.

Ghost326267
05-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I use a G9 and after you get use to the shape (it comes with 2) its very nice to use. Lots of little features that are either really useful or a waste of time, eg microgear scroll wheel, weights, different covers.

gundam789
05-23-2008, 06:38 AM
If you want to be different give this a try =)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3594743&CatId=2390

rusty
05-23-2008, 07:09 AM
if you can get this gateway USB Optical 2-Button Wheel Mouse get it. PIC http://i17.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/f1/b7/4e98_1.JPG
You can see it at bestbuy store. You can buy one off ebay.

Lloyd
05-23-2008, 07:22 AM
I'd buy a G9 myself - i love mine. No other mouse feels right now. My G7 just feels wrong in my hand now, lol
The microgear is v good, i have a Logitech revolution with the same scroll wheel without the microgear and trying to play bf2142 with it is a nightmare

infinitesadd
05-23-2008, 07:46 AM
I would stick with a logitech one. A G9 or good ole mx series. Mine is still kicking after years with no problems.

dengyong
05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
MX Revolution is my favorite. I've been using one for about a year. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104015

cabbspapp
05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I suggest the G9, but the Lachesis is still a great mouse.

When I got my Lachesis, I had to do a beta firmware update to get it to work with my exactmat. The cursor would occasionally skip to some corner of the screen when I moved the mouse, not good for gaming. After that, it's a great mouse. Really comfortable (for me) and super-low liftoff distance when you need to pick it up. Acceleration settings don't seem to do anything. Maybe a driver/firmware update will change this.

I switched to the G9 because it's a little more comfortable for me. It's not ambidextrous, but it comes with two grips, one smaller and one bigger. They both have different finishes too. The bigger grip has a finish similar to Razer mice, sort of rubber-like and grippy, while the smaller grip is more of a rough plastic. Also the acceleration changes actually do something, unlike the Lachesis. Changing your DPI is also easier than the Lachesis, since it shows up on a lighted series of LED's. Left=lower, right=higher. You can also change the color of the LED's through the drivers. The mouse also side-scrolls, but I don't use it very much. I haven't used the weight system, since it is already heavier than the Lachesis without it. My only gripe about it is that it tracks quite high above the surface compared to the Lachesis, which can be a little disorientating when gaming if you aren't used to it.

adamsleath
05-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I have pretty small hands
copperhead.
2cents