PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism Thread.

Magnj
05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I propose a thread where we can all post a single photo and get constructive criticism from each other. Here's how it works:

+Without quoting the images, critique the three(3) previous posts
-Give specific tips, eg. "I like the way you used a shallow depth of field to create the bokeh in the top-right corner" not "lol nice pic haha looks cool"
-Quote the users names and or post number

+Then post your image(1) for review
-Give a brief description of the equipment you used, and any special techniques or conditions and any post production
-Try to keep your images of a considerate size with a link to a larger size if necessary
-You must wait at least 3 posts to post another image
-The more time you put into reviewing someone else's work, the more they will put time into helping you and so on and so forth, so take your time and think critically, but be nice.

:welcome:

I guess the first 3 people get a freebie? I'll start it off, here's a template?

Maxx- I liked this this and this about your picture. Maybe try this and this.

Movieman- I didn't like this, but this works. Maybe try this filter instead of that one.

NoL- I really like that picture, it's 100% perfect, don't change a thing.

Lightning Strikes 2007
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1229/1109500116_80d0d524f1.jpg (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1229/1109500116_80d0d524f1_b.jpg)
Photo Info: 30sec @ f/6.7 ISO 200
Body: Pentax *IST DL
Lens: Pentax 18-55 @ 18mm
Post Production: Lightroom and Photoshop to make the bolt a little more clear rather than a huge blob
Special Conditions: Rain, thunder, lightning, plastic bag

YugenM
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Magnj, Post 1:

Contrast (dynamic range? I'm iffy with terminology) could be a bit higher, and composition feels kinda weird because of the huge amount of blank space dominating the upper 2/5-ish of the pic. But I like it.

My turn:
Body: Minolta Maxxum 700si
Film: Ilford HP-5 (ISO400)
Lens: Minolta 35-70mm @ 70mm I think
Forgot the rest
Film, photograph developed by myself.
Sorry for the horrible scan :( Looks much nicer in person. The dark parts should be mostly black.

[XC] 2long4u
05-22-2008, 02:42 PM
@ Magni: I like the pic. Maybe crop it a little to get rid of some of the wasted space on the right, left, and top. Was this a B&W or did it just lack color?

@YugenM: The pic looks a little under exposed. Maybe open the aperture a little. The black may be black in the photo but was the white white? Or was it because of the scan?

Body: Nikon D40
Lens: 55-200 VR
ISO: 200
Shutter speed: I think it was 1/1000 I'll check and update.
Processing: Sharpness was increased, colors were set to vivid, contrast was +1, all VIA camera. No post processing.

I'm waiting.

Magnj
06-14-2008, 04:21 AM
I guess this isn't going to work lol

JacobN
06-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Now you're just being non-constructive... and breaking the rules of your own thread :rofl: Nevermind, I'll post something.

@2long4u: I, personally, don't find the subject interesting(but that's just me), other than that exposure seems spot on and... Well it's a good photo, nothing wrong technically with it as far as my untrained eye can see :D

@YugenM: I find it hard to say too much about the photo because I'm unsure of how much was lost when scanning it, and as 2long4u said, it looks a little under exposed.

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs29/i/2008/128/b/0/Flower_thinger_by_JacobN.jpg

Camera info: Canon Powershot S5 IS.
Settings: ISO 80, F3.5, 1/636?(1/600 set), 64 mm.
Processing: No post processing, colors set to vivid on camera.