PDA

View Full Version : Are this the right choice?

Fercho_2006
05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forum, although I've been reading it for a long time now.

I live in Paraguay (south america) and it's very difficult and expensive to get equipment here, so I'm asking you guys to please tell me if what I'm planning to buy is the right choice to cool my Q6600. I want you to bear in mind the fact that the ambient temperature here is about 30 ºC. Will this configuration be right for overclocking my processor to 3.6 ghz? Right now I have it overclocked at about 2.8 ghz, but my idle temps round the 50 ºC using a ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED.

After reading a lot I came to the conclusion that this could be the right equipment to cool my CPU:

* 2 x Swiftech MCP 355 12v DC Pump (in series)
* 1 x Apogee GTX Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock
* 2 x Thermochill PA120.3 (in series - or is it overkill to have two of them?)
* 6 x Zalman ZM-F3 120mm Fan (for the rad)
* 20 feet Masterkleer Tubing 7/16" ID 5/8" OD (is this the right tubing for my setup? I'm planning on using 3/8 Barbs on all my connections)
* 1 x Swiftech MCRES-Micro Reservoir
* 1 x Swiftech high flow Barbs 3/8" - BSPP-250-375-CP (I think these are for the waterblock - please confirm)

Well, this is what I'm planning to buy. Please leave your opinion about my setup and any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Regards,

Fercho

PS. sorry for my English.

PS2: my system configuration is as follows.

*EVGA 680i Motherboard
*Intel Q6600 Processor
*2 x 1gb Corsair XMS2 Ram
*EVGA 9800 GTX
*700W OCZ GameXtream

PS3: I'm planning to buy everything from Jab-Tech. Is this a good online store? Would you recommend any other with better prices?

Giannis86
05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
using 2 rads is kinda extreme overkill but hey its Xtreme systems here..

i do have 1 recommendation though.. I see you are planning to use 2 ddcs in series.i would use a EK Supreme to benefit from this setup..Furthermore i would buy aftermarket tops for the pumps to improve their performance:)

edit: Try Petra's tech shop and performance pcs. They have some nice prices.

Polizei
05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Order from PetrasTechShop.com. They ship internationally and have great service. Because you're an international order, you will have to email them with your order to get a shipping price quote.

A couple of things:

1) You really only need one pump, not two.
2) Apogee GTX is a good block, but its top is made of aluminum. Most people here get the D-Tek Fuzion because 1, it performs just as good and 2, the flow is much better in the Fuzion.
3) One PA 120.3 will be plenty for just a processor only loop.
4) Fans are good.
5) 20 feet of tubing? That's like 6,5 meters. You shouldn't need that much. That tubing inner diameter is 7/16", which is bigger than 3/8". You need smaller diameter tubing or bigger barbs. You can use 7/16" or 1/2" tubing with 1/2" barbs.
6) Reservoir is good.

I would suggest getting one of the after market tops for the pump... they increase the performance of the pump. Petra has his own top and it works well.

Forgot: :welcome:

Fercho_2006
05-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your fast response people!

So, which tube would you recommend?

Also is this what you're talking about?

D-TEK FuZion v2 Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuv2uncpuwa.html

and

Quad Core Mid-Chamber Insert for D-Tek FuZion v2
http://petrastechshop.com/qucomiinford.html

Where can I get the 3/8 barbs for this waterblock?

By the way, I can actually ship everything inside USA to my international shipping agent and then he takes care of sending it to my country.

Also, don't you think using 1/2 barbs is a better option?

One more thing, where can I get the after market tops for my pump?

Polizei
05-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your fast response people!

So, which tube would you recommend?

Also is this what you're talking about?

D-TEK FuZion v2 Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuv2uncpuwa.html

and

Quad Core Mid-Chamber Insert for D-Tek FuZion v2
http://petrastechshop.com/qucomiinford.html

Where can I get the 3/8 barbs for this waterblock?

By the way, I can actually ship everything inside USA to my international shipping agent and then he takes care of sending it to my country.

Yes, that is the block I was talking about. You can use that mid plate as well.

As far as tubing, this. (http://www.petrastechshop.com/3id5odmagepu.html)

Barbs, these. (http://www.petrastechshop.com/dhifig1th3od.html) Pay attention to the barbs though, they are sold one at a time, not as a pair.

You can use Petra's to ship directly to your house so you won't need to use your shipping agent. It may save you some money.

Polizei
05-21-2008, 02:19 PM
This (http://www.petrastechshop.com/laddcwpeddto.html) is the DDC3.2 (MCP355) with Petra's top on it.

Fercho_2006
05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I've decided for the bigger 1/2 barbs..

I guess this is the final list, please give it a look.

* D-TEK FuZion v2 Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"
* Quad Core Mid-Chamber Insert for D-Tek FuZion v2
* 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing
* EK High-Flow Fitting (G 3/8" Thread, 1/2" OD) (for the rad)
* Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo
* Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
* Zalman ZM-F3 120mm Fan
* Swiftech MCRES-Micro

Should I get a shroud for the rad? By the way, do you think I need anything else? I need a REALLY good cooling.

Thanks.

Zaskar
05-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Only thing I can think of is hose clamps of some kind.

Fercho_2006
05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Thank you, I'll put that in my list.

Just for curiosity.. Does adding a second pump and a second rad will improve the cooling performance?

Xavior
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
A second pump might improve your cooling performance if your loop is very restrictive, so you'd need a 2nd one to keep the flowrate up. But the setup you're looking for isn't considered to be really restrictive, and a DDC with a top provides plenty of power.

A second rad will pretty much only improve your temperatures if you're putting a significant heatload on a radiator, I'm guessing close to or exceeding the maximum heat dissipation. Let's say that you're cooling a single graphics card with a PA120.3. Adding another one in is useless as a single one will easily get rid the heat.

Fercho_2006
05-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Thank you man! I'll guess I'll stay with just one then.. By the way.. Is really water the best coolant? Some people are telling me to use methanol or something similar.. Can't remember really.. But some type of alcohol..

lokitexas
05-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Thank you man! I'll guess I'll stay with just one then.. By the way.. Is really water the best coolant? Some people are telling me to use methanol or something similar.. Can't remember really.. But some type of alcohol..

Distilled water and anti-algae, and you will be fine.

Polizei
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
You can get 7/16" tubing onto 1/2" barbs. It is a tighter seal and will help with preventing leaks. The PA120.3 is plenty for a processor only loop. With medium speed fans, that radiator can dissipate about 400w of heat. Your processor will give off about 225w.

Fercho_2006
05-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys.. By the way.. Do you recommend me to use a TEC on this setup? Well, obviously changing the waterblock and adding another PSU would be necessary..

Polizei
05-22-2008, 07:05 AM
No.

Kilyin
05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
two of the same pump in one loop also provides redundancy should one pump fail.

I wouldn't necessarily nix the idea just because a couple people say you don't 'need' them.

Snyxxx
05-22-2008, 09:22 AM
two of the same pump in one loop also provides redundancy should one pump fail.

I wouldn't necessarily nix the idea just because a couple people say you don't 'need' them.

Agreed. If you are going to make a big order, you might as well think of the future and order a 2nd pump. You may want to make separate loops one day and you would already have the 2nd pump and rad. Almost there if needed. If only using one loop for now, you would have redundancy as mentioned above.

Fercho_2006
05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Ok! Thanks to all of you guys! I REALLY appreciate your help and opinions!

Looking forward to help whenever needed in this forum!

gojirasan
05-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I want to go to Paraguay. Flights are so expensive though. I have heard the spanish there is kind of strange. Anyway, I would recommend this pump top reservoir (http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-Acrylic-Reservoir-for-Laing-DDC-pr-4123.html) instead of the swiftech res and Petra top and this tubing (http://www.moddersmart.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=102) instead of the masterkleer. That tubing is the only 3/8" tubing that is flexible enough to fit over 1/2" barbs without heating and its bend radius is as good as anything you can buy. And it has been discontinued and has a really cheap closeout price if you buy directly from the manufacturer. The only problem is it is kind of "sticky". So it attracts dust and getting it off of any oversized plastic fitting is pretty much impossible. So you would want to stick with metal fittings. For fans those Zalmans are an excellent choice, but another option would be these (http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-Medium-pr-3939.html). 38mm fans are better from a static pressure POV. Good choice on the Dtek V2 CPU block. Are you planning to water cool your 9800GTX as well? If so I'd go with Dtek again. I'd pair it with one of their unisinks. Although I don't know if they have one that will fit a 9800GTX. You might also want to consider doubling (stacking) up on your fans in a pull arrangement. Martin found that 2x25mm stacked fans doubled his static pressure and greatly increased airflow through the rad. From what I have read I think two PA120.3s in series will decrease your water temps, but some people say it only makes a difference if you exceed some fixed amount of heat dump into the loop. For barbs I would recommend the fatboyz (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2955227) or at least the EK fittings. I'd also agree about the utility of having a second pump just in case the first one fails. If you have to order another one I would imagine that the shipping to Paraguay alone would at least equal the cost of a second pump. You could try to put it in series with the other and see if it drops your temps at all. If it doesn't just use it as a back up. And don't use zip ties. Use lined worm drive clamps or spring clamps. I like those shiny chrome spring clamps, but now I can't remember where I saw them.

Fercho_2006
05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Wow! Thanks Gojirasan! I really appreciate your opinion! Yes, the spanish is indeed a little hard to understand but nothing you won't be able to manage if you now a little spanish.. Shipping is really not that expensive.. I do a lot of shopping in usa online stores, specially to get high quality equipment (like these) or difficult to get cooking knifes (like wusthof for instance).. Just to tell you I even buy shoes from stores like eastbay! Basically I have to pay shipping inside usa to an address in miami (the international shipping agent) and then I pay 15 dollars per kilo to get it out of customs here in paraguay..

Sparda
05-23-2008, 01:26 AM
omg 15$ per kilo...did you bribe the customs.:p:..It quite expensive here in germany for the customs...usually they charge bout 21% of the total sum including shipping.

The order look good. If you willing to spend for PA just get better fans with real bearing like S-Flex F or other and the shroud for the PA and do pull. Just my 2cent.

It just personal preference but the 7/16 tube is a little bit smaller and dont need the ugly worm clamp although it a little bit pain to put in a new tube. Well it your choice.:)

septim
05-23-2008, 03:55 AM
first use this for a good estimate...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151627

parts order list is good, i would probably use 1 pa120.3 and 1 120.2, which i can probably fit inside the right case...
2 ddc with appropriate tops would be good, redundancy while in series, or you can separate them into 2 loops, 1 for cpu, 1 for gpu if ever...
hose clamps, try local hardware stores...
zalman f3 fans is a little weak compared to yate loon d120sm..., you might want to consider SFlex-F or G...

just my 5 suggestions...

Fercho_2006
05-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys! One question.. Do I need the shroud to mount the PA? By the way.. Where can I get those fans you recommend Septim?

Kilyin
05-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys! One question.. Do I need the shroud to mount the PA?

No, you don't.

gojirasan
05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Actually the Zalman fans beat the S-Flex F fans in Vapor's fan test (see sticky). And they are cheaper. The S-Flex fans are more expensive, but will last longer due to better bearings. The Zalman is a tiny bit louder at full speed though. Either fan can be run without a fan controller IMHO. The noise of either fan at max rpm stays below the annoyance threshold for me, but ymmv.

Sparda
05-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Actually the Zalman fans beat the S-Flex F fans in Vapor's fan test (see sticky). And they are cheaper. The S-Flex fans are more expensive, but will last longer due to better bearings. The Zalman is a tiny bit louder at full speed though. Either fan can be run without a fan controller IMHO. The noise of either fan at max rpm stays below the annoyance threshold for me, but ymmv.

What did you mean by beat. It only an armpit hair margin.:rofl: I will be impressed if you could pull some degrees with both fans. It hard to argue with the price you get what you pay for. Anyway real bearing fans ftw.
If you able to use both fans without fan controller you probably will be having hearing problem when you are 50...:rofl: Or maybe you go to shooting range a lot. Anything above 1000-1200rpm irritates me for long run but it ok for high rpm if it for benches with high voltage.

Fercho_2006
05-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Well, I guess I'll buy everything next week.. By the way.. Can you recommend a good fan controller?

Fercho_2006
05-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Also, can I just add a dye to the water? Like having a water+biocide+dye combination without decreasing cooling performance?

septim
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
simple dye biocide combo for all copper loop, try petra's uv dyes and pt nuke...