PDA

View Full Version : Mach II problems

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 02:25 AM
Tried using the Mach II last night and had problems. With the wiring exactly as Chip-Con specifies in their manual, the compressor would fire up and the micro freezer would be cold...BUT...not boot up the computer (it's like there is no power going to the computer even though mobo lights are on, etc).

Can anyone tell me what to try? I'm at a total loss here and it's very depressing.

JCviggen
09-10-2003, 02:29 AM
did you connect your power switch right? (stupid Q i know)

try disconnecting the pwr switch and manually short the power switch on the mobo when everything's running

2fast4u
09-10-2003, 06:15 AM
What mobo are you using? Try turning your power switch (yellows from prommie) header around 180 and replug. Also do you have the read out in front to see the evap temp? The default boot temp is -33, if it doesn't reach that temp it won't power up.

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 07:00 AM
Had yellow power wire from prommy to mobo...connected blue/white wire with wire jumpers to the on/off switch lead from the case (that didn't work).

Changed polarity of the yellow power wire from prommie. Temp when I did get into bios (once) was -16C. Good mate to the CPU though, I don't get it!

rabeb25
09-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Hey man,
try this it has always worked for me. Don't use any of the prommie wires exept for the molex connector, use the power wire from your case or just short the 2 pins together, this way it bypasses the holding and what not. On immediate start up hold insert and it should beep, then just go into bios and monitor the temps when you see a temp you like go ahead and boot. I have just taken a meanwell that i had around and connected all my fans and took and cut a molex from an old psu, and used that as a plug, then wired the power and ground to the meanwell. That way I can bypass all the prommie stuff and boot up the prommie with no load(gets cold really fast), then boot my pc. That was the trick for me.
good luck
Bryan

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Bryan - thanks, was hoping you'd see this thread and respond.
Much appreciated!

Wondering if the temp. sensor in the head is faulty? Hard to say, but worth a shot tonight when I get off work, after the severe weather outbreak here.

Turbo
09-10-2003, 09:27 AM
WxChaser- from what I remember correctly, the Lian-Li reset switch is kinda funky. You may want to reverse the polarity or even disconnect it from the mobo. If that doesnt work, try what rabeb25 said and put back one wire at a time to narrow down the problem. Hope you resolve this soon.

bmg
09-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by WxChaser
Tried using the Mach II last night and had problems. With the wiring exactly as Chip-Con specifies in their manual, the compressor would fire up and the micro freezer would be cold...BUT...not boot up the computer (it's like there is no power going to the computer even though mobo lights are on, etc).

Can anyone tell me what to try? I'm at a total loss here and it's very depressing.
I doubt this is your problem, but I'll mention it just in case. I've been using a 550 watt Enermax power supply for a long time with no problems. However, when I tried to start up the first time with the mach II the Enermax fan would start to spin up for a fraction of a second and then the supply would shut down. IIRC I disconnected everything from the mach II, connected the power switch to the motherboard and the supply still wouldn't power up. I pulled the PS and testing showed it would start up ok when it wasn't connected to the motherboard. I plugged the Enermax back into the motherboard (P4C800-E) and still no go. I replaced the Enermax with an extra Antec TruPower 550 I had and everything worked perfectly. I haven't tried the Enermax in another pc yet to see if it has really failed or not. The seal string seems to be completely non-conductive, so it's hard to see how it could be causing a problem with the Enermax starting, so I'm clueless. Fortunately the Antec is working perfectly.

Anyway, like I said, I doubt this is your problem but thought I'd mention it.

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 01:56 PM
OK - I got into Windows, loaded the Chip-Con software, used Bootloader to download the latest .STE file into the program.

At that point I could see the evaporator temperature - started out at -57C and went to -55C. Then...got a warning and the fans shut down on the prommy. Was it because I hadn't had time to go thru the setup program on the chip-con software?

ANYONE who has setup a Mach II with the chip con software please let me know how you handled your fan settings!!!

I would be most appreciative...and thanks in advance for all the help so far.

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 03:21 PM
On page 18 instructions for Mach II, it says under:

The computer boots properly but shuts down immediately:

Check that the power cable (4 pin from the PSU is connected to the Chip controller. (mine is).

System does not start when pressing power switch:
Check that blue/white wire for PC-Case front panel On/Off switch is connected properly to the chip controller. (tried every way possible and it never works)

This is what is happening now: PC starts booting immediately after pressing the on/off switch (temp below chosen boot temp still at -33 default). Solution : disconnect ATX from mobo wait 5 sec and reconnect. ( that did not do crap ).

If I plug in the prommy just by itself, nothing else, don't get the green light on back of case (no lights at all) This is with the
yellow wire and blue/white wire disconnected & no rear heater element.

WTH is up with this thing??????

Hobocrow
09-10-2003, 03:29 PM
WxChaser, sorry you are having these problems..don't despair, Bud, you're lead the band now...you'll get it solved.

I can't offer any help...I don't even have my manual! If I remember correctly tho the heater Must be connected! Check that out, also! Best to ya!

bmg
09-10-2003, 03:32 PM
The Chip Con windows software always resets fans to "Normal" whenever the program is run (and that's annoying and probably a bug). The mach II remembers what it's fan settings were after exiting the program. I can't see much point in having the Chip Con software running other than to change the fan speed.

Anyway, I normally run my fans at "Manual" and 1500rpm. That's almost as quiet as the Normal setting. The Normal setting is around 1100rpm. Turbo's what you want when benching, about 2100rpm. The fan's are definitely noticable in Turbo, but really not that noisy. With the 404a mod I'd imagine you'd need to always run in Turbo.

bmg
09-10-2003, 03:37 PM
You should be able to start the prommie with nothing connected to the motherboard or it's power supply. Short across the 2 power-on pins, like would be done if connected to the normal power-on switch. The prommie should start, go down to boot temperature, and then will shut itself down after a few seconds if it doesn't see power on it's 4 pin connector. You can also power on the prommie by just applying power to the 4 pin connector.

I assume you've got the lcd display hooked up. If not, remember that the mach II normally waits 2 minutes after it gets ac power before it'll start.

Gary Lloyd
09-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Strictly from a refrigeration point of view, I like as much condenser airflow as I can get. It's probably just as well that I don't design for chip-con. I would crank it up to max and issue earplugs... LOL

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 03:48 PM
So why do I not even get a green light on the back when plugged into AC power on prommy from wall socket, etc?

The lcd display is hooked up but have yet to see anything on it other than the square block chip con stuff as it boots, haven't been able to stay in windows long enuf other than once.

Think I may travel to radio shack tonight to get a 12v cheap PSU for the thing & plug my fans into that.

Are any of you guys using the Mach II with the Lian Li PC65 and if so, exactly how are you running the wiring for the start switch, HD Led's, speaker, etc...because it never works for me, though the computer on stock HSF booted just fine, had all activity lights, usb, etc working fine!

How else can I monitor the evap temp other than using their wonderful software????

bmg
09-10-2003, 03:51 PM

Wondering if the temp. sensor in the head is faulty? Hard to say, but worth a shot tonight when I get off work, after the severe weather outbreak here.
If the lcd display shows the mach II getting down to the boot temperature and then down below -50C idle that would seem to indicate that the temp sensor is ok. The people with sensor problems all said the temps were reading way high, like displaying +80C.

bmg
09-10-2003, 04:10 PM
The lcd display is hooked up but have yet to see anything on it other than the square block chip con stuff as it boots, haven't been able to stay in windows long enuf other than once.

How else can I monitor the evap temp other than using their wonderful software????

The lcd should display text as soon as the prommie gets ac power, even if none of the prommie's cables are connected to anything. It should have "Prometeia" on the first line IIRC, a Status word on the second line and either the evaporator temp or the seconds before startup can occur. Sounds like you definitely have a problem with the lcd. Check that it's plugged in ok and then check that all connectors that are plugged into the controller board are seated well.

rabeb25
09-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Bryan - thanks, was hoping you'd see this thread and respond.
Much appreciated!

no problem man, say if you have aol im, hit me up and we can see if we can't work though it my sn is eclipseaggressor.
Bryan

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Checking the LCD connections now - hooked up prom to 12v off spare older computer and everything looked fine, trying to get the LCD up and running before proceeding.

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 04:34 PM
I get 16 rectangular blocks (8 on top, 8 on bottom) on display.

Will boot into windows shortly and see if I need to program or set it up first.

bmg
09-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I get 16 rectangular blocks (8 on top, 8 on bottom) on display.

Will boot into windows shortly and see if I need to program or set it up first.
You definitely don't need to do anything in windows to get the lcd to display text. Check all the cable connections in your prommie.

Hopefully the mach II controller board is ok. If you try to get support from chip-con, make sure you don't mention that your prommie is modded. Chip-con may have some suggestions to check out the prommie components, controller board, power supply, etc. The fact that you're not even getting an led on the back to come on doesn't seem like a good sign. The lcd just displaying blocks could well mean that there's no communication between it and the prommie controller.

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 04:52 PM
When I booted into windows, the prommy wasn't cooling (at all).

Had to get out fast to prevent overheating.

Unbolted the microfreezer and it was hotter than hell especially the plastic, cleaned off the TIM and the copper core was hot also.

Going to run it off the CPU for a sec to see if it cools or not, this is getting more and more bizarre by the minute.

Hobocrow
09-10-2003, 05:15 PM
BMG has a very good point about the connections on the main board...shipping/tossing the unit around could have caused a bad connection! Check it out!

WxChaser
09-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Bill - I have. Not the problem.

Hobocrow
09-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Roger that! Just trying to help Bud....:)

Hobocrow
09-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Hobocrow
Roger that! Just trying to help Bud....:)

I guess when you've tried it all .... you have to look beyond that!

As " Sherlock Holmes" said " Eliminate all that is impossible and you will have the truth"

Your answer is somewhat complicated...I deduce! :confused:

2fast4u
09-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Did you install the led read out or was it in when you bought it? I had to install mine and had these same problems. I had to pull the white\blue, and yellow\yellow off the chip controler to conect led and got them switched around.
And you have NO LIGHTS on the back of the prommie when plugged in or started but the led works?

2fast4u
09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
I am sure you have seen this list but I will post it just in case.

Mortherboards which are unable to hold the reset signal (starts up PC right away):

ASUS P4C800 (Canterwood)
DFI Lanparty (Canterwood)
ABIT IC7 (Canterwood)
Abit IS7 (Springdale)
ASUS P4P800 (Springdale)
Albatron PX865PE pro (Springdale)

bmg
09-10-2003, 08:16 PM
The mach II should work fine with any motherboard, unlike the mach I and vapochill.

Merenfreak
09-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Is the compressor running ? Is it cooling unmounted ?

If the unit shuts down in windows just wait a few seconds, it will restart itself and at the display you will see the text "no shut down".

If you think you have a sensor problem, just plug in a usual sensor instead of the machII sensor and start up the unit manually.

Not seeing any light on the back is not a good sign at all, but the electronics in the mach II is crap anyway.

cya

gordos1
09-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Dude that sux.
I know that when i got mine the main board on the prommy was just hanging there.
And the wires where lose as well.
So they do get bounced around a bit in shipping.
I wish I could help bro.
Good luck.

charlie
09-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Did you get it running??
C

Creative
09-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Ya how's it all going bud?
:)