PDA

View Full Version : AM2 MB and waterblocks

nelsoncp21
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I have a bit of a dilema guys. I have a brand new AMD cpu coming my way and will be in need of a new MB. I was planning on doing a x48 build but now that I have this new cpu I need to choose otherwise. I am having a hard time finding waterblocks for current AMD boards. Once again I am looking for NB, SB and mosfets. I checked EK compatibilty chart but most of it is for intel boards and the few AM2 boards I see are older with the exception of the crosshair board which has integrated video and I really don't need that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Needs to be SLI capable board also.

Edited:
The only board I can find worth getting with nvidia chipset and AM2 socket supporting phenom is the Asus crosshair 2. I really think the integrated graphics is a waste but otherwise the board seems solid. I noticed that EK has the original crosshair MB on their chart but not the crosshair 2. So I wonder would the NB and SB blocks work on both boards? Still nothing for mosfet on either board though.

nelsoncp21
05-22-2008, 01:11 PM
So I decided to go with the M3N-HT DELUXE/MEMPIPE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131290) motherboard. I got confirmation from EK that they have a waterblock to fit the NB and SB but not mosfet. So what to do about the mosfets. If I pull the heat pipe off I need to do something with it right? Any suggestions?

radaB
05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Just use the stock heatsink for the fets. AFAIK the heatpipe is to bring heat from the NB/SB to the fets which have the fins for cooling.

Kayin
05-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Not everyone feels like cutting up stock heatpipes.

If that were an AM2+ AMD board, I could help more. As it's nVidia, I'm at a loss on that MOSFET area.

AM2 is getting SERIOUSLY shafted this run.

Lloyd
05-23-2008, 07:58 AM
i've just seen that - why on earth would you put onboard gfx on a ROG mobo?

ryan92084
05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
i've just seen that - why on earth would you put onboard gfx on a ROG mobo?

hybrid power

nelsoncp21
05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
So the only option then is to cut the heat pipes and put the original mosfet fins back on? That's gonna look like crap!

I know everyone is probally thinking that if I can't find what I am looking for why not try say the AMD chipset MB's or whatever. Well I was given a new 5000+ cpu hence the need for socket AM2, well actually AM2+ so I have upgrade potential and I was also given a 8800 gts so I want to get another and put them in SLI. Hence the need for a AM2+ board with nvidia chipset. I spent all this time and money on modding my case to watercool everything before I won this hardware so I still want to use my 3 rads I installed and stick with my plan to watercool cpu,NB,SB,Mosfets,2 gpu's,HD's and possibly ram.

So I guess what I am asking is this my only option to cut the heat pipes leaving a very visible mark on the side of the block that will easily be seen through the huge windows I cut in my case?