PDA

View Full Version : Radiators on front of case why??

iboomalot
05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
I notice alot of people with UFOs and other types of cases that have room to put a rad on the back or sides but choose to put them on the front.

Seems that having fans on the front would be louder than putting them on the side or on the back, pointed away from the user.

I can understand why someone with limited space would do it but why if you have the room with a custom case are so many people putting them on the front???

Iam getting ready to have a custom MM case and just asking why is all.

WoZZeR999
05-18-2008, 05:50 PM
The back has all of the cards and PSU and stuff in the way, and people use the other side for pumps and stuff. Also alot of people have their computer in a corner, so the rad wouldn't have access to fresh air.

Shlomo
05-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Sound? Usually you're dealing with something like 3 low speed yates or undervolted yates, so sound isn't an issue anyways.

Rads in the front get fresh air, and the space is available. To put a rad in the back, you'd have to hang it off the back or have a really, really, really large case.

Anemone
05-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Coolest air possible going through the rad leads to the best temps.

lokitexas
05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I notice alot of people with UFOs and other types of cases that have room to put a rad on the back or sides but choose to put them on the front.

Seems that having fans on the front would be louder than putting them on the side or on the back, pointed away from the user.

I can understand why someone with limited space would do it but why if you have the room with a custom case are so many people putting them on the front???

Iam getting ready to have a custom MM case and just asking why is all.

Frsh air for me...and a perfect location for the loop.

But....I am thinking of adding another rad inside the back for a new loop.

IanY
05-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Because we have no choice ? You just build that MM UFO and then tell us that its not cramped with all the stuff. There simply isn't a case big enough anywhere to house multiple radiators and have them all at the back of the case, unless you want to build a 6 foot monstrosity.

DarthBeavis
05-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Because we have no choice ? You just build that MM UFO and then tell us that its not cramped with all the stuff. There simply isn't a case big enough anywhere to house multiple radiators and have them all at the back of the case, unless you want to build a 6 foot monstrosity.

Mostrosity . . .that is not nice. Fear the DayWalker

Jimmer411
05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
BTW, which MM (aka. Mountain Mods) case are you talking about that can fit multiple rads in the back ???? Haven't seen that model...

http://www.mountainmods.com/u2ufo-cyo-choose-your-own-p-438.html

Just choosingthe triple standard and that gives you one rad, but yea with the motherboard area there isnt room for a 2nd rad unless you got creative and fit 2 120.2 and had a custom fabbed layout from them.

I love my MM, but sometimes its too cramped. I really need to convert it to a horizon and gain some ground space.

I remember the thread about TC rads being optomized for yate loon sl in pull config...:up:

IanY
05-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Mostrosity . . .that is not nice. Fear the DayWalker

Are you going to install that machine in your Kendo Dojo or something? lol

skinnee
05-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Why would someone want to mount rads on the side panels ??? :shrug:

It would be different, take the right side panel and have it setup as a multi-rad panel. Would definitely do the trick! :up:

WoZZeR999
05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm planning on having my right panel have a MCR320 on it, along with 2 in the front. That is with a MM-CYO case though. There was 1 build I saw with an external 320 on the side. It looked nice too!

iboomalot
05-19-2008, 06:41 AM
rough drawing was looking at 4 on thier side or 3 up and top one on its side.

I could always move the outside hole spacing and use some 90 degree fittings and fit 6 with one on front & back

doing a custom ASCENSION I should do a water/phase setup but I don't want compressor noise or the extra heat dump into the room.

some Idea pics

oh by the way I wrote thermochill an e-mail the PA120.3 has 103mm x 106mm fan hole spacing which should be 105mm x 105mm according to the PDF tech sheet.
so if you are using sketchup might need to compensate for that error.

septim
05-19-2008, 07:04 AM
4 PA120.3s in the side, overkilled...

the 5.25 bays full of other stuff like 12raptors or something and 4 blu-ray drives...on 1 side
other side 4 d5 pumps and tubings and res, etc...

back 4 exhaust = 4 ultra kazes 38mm

iboomalot
05-19-2008, 07:05 AM
the fans are sucking air from the case out

Shocker003
05-19-2008, 07:16 AM
God with 4 PAs:shocked: i will go passive if i were in your shoes, although with fans will give you better temps. I will subscribe when you start your project. With the rads outside the case of cos.

iboomalot
05-19-2008, 10:21 AM
what you haven't noticed is, the case is split in 1/2

there is a center offset divider the MOBO and pwr supplies are getting air from two 120mm fans upfront set on low

most pwr supplies have a 120-140mm fan and I have in one arrangement two 80mm fans for exhaust.

the center divider has the pumps mounted to it then holes for the tubes.

The air is supplied via the open holes on the front , top & back of the rad side of the case.

With the fans at 5-7v to keep noise down it will be almost passive (noise wise) , I hope

iboomalot
05-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Mcoffey you made some great points and even gave me an idea

on the top is a window on the MOBO side what if I did a cutout on the RAD side which would be more suraface area than 3 120mm holes hummmm

I have some HEPA filters that could be cut to size. If I need more airflow I could force feed the enclosure via the back and front with fans but that would increase noise.

--------------------

don't most power supplies suck from inside the case and blow out???? if not I might have to redesign the MOBO side.

skinnee
05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
BTW, MM will be releasing a Phase Change enclosure(9" H x 18" W x 18" depth). This will be previewed when the next production run of Ascension are available.

Jimmer411
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Jimmer411, you are correct sir @ the CYO/UFO, but would still like to see a standard 18"x18"x18" (assumed thats what he was talking @ since no mention of commissioning BEN to build a "custom" model) with more than on 120.2/120.3 on rear panel w/MB mounted on rear panel...

Why would someone want to mount rads on the side panels ??? :shrug:

Haha I wouldnt trust the sidepanels to hold anything, plus it would be hell doing any kinda hardware changes and what not.

to mount a 120.2 and a 120.3 rad on the back panel it would require a modified motherboard tray as well as back panel. You could use the 120mm fan on the mobo tray if it was shifted lower with the other fan custom located where the PSU is located above. But that would be a VERY tight fit imo, but doable.

So now we need a ginny (i cant spell!) pig :D :D

71 (Bryan)
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
rough drawing was looking at 4 on thier side or 3 up and top one on its side.

I could always move the outside hole spacing and use some 90 degree fittings and fit 6 with one on front & back

doing a custom ASCENSION I should do a water/phase setup but I don't want compressor noise or the extra heat dump into the room.

some Idea pics

oh by the way I wrote thermochill an e-mail the PA120.3 has 103mm x 106mm fan hole spacing which should be 105mm x 105mm according to the PDF tech sheet.
so if you are using sketchup might need to compensate for that error.
just wondering, where do you get the sketchup models?
or did you make em urself?

nelsoncp21
05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
sorry to jump in on this thread but Someone said that the thermochill's perform better with a pull setup rather than a push. How much of a diffeence are we talking? Here's quick pic of what I am working on. Just wondering if it would make a big difference to put the fans on the other side of the rad?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/nelsoncp21_photos/Project%20FrostByte/mountinglcdreadouts.jpg?t=1211248383

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/nelsoncp21_photos/Project%20FrostByte/mountingsiderad001.jpg?t=1211248413

Jimmer411
05-20-2008, 03:07 AM
sorry to jump in on this thread but Someone said that the thermochill's perform better with a pull setup rather than a push. How much of a diffeence are we talking? Here's quick pic of what I am working on. Just wondering if it would make a big difference to put the fans on the other side of the rad?

Maybe 1-2c :shrug: It will be quieter tho.

Why the noctua fans? Those are horrid for radiators (no static pressure) and ridiculously overpriced. You can get 4 yateloons from petras for the price of 1 of those and have better performance.

nelsoncp21
05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
oh, I thought they were some of the best quiet fans on the market. it's a bit late now!

disruptfam
05-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Noctua NF-P12- are great fans high static pressure

Logos
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
oh, I thought they were some of the best quiet fans on the market. it's a bit late now!

they are some of the best fans on the market, they just don't look good ;) So don't worry about performance issues with them.

C'DaleRider
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM
they are some of the best fans on the market, they just don't look good ;) So don't worry about performance issues with them.

Wrong! Worry a LOT about the performance issues with them.....they are far from being the best fans on the market, unless your definition of "best" includes no air flow through radiators and paying too much for too little actual performance.

The Noctua fan you have, at a full 12V, barely managed 25cfm through a radiator....horrible! While the PA series of rads are great with low cfm fans, 25cfm is low for the dBA produced.....you can get the same sound generation from a YL SM fan and get 33-34cfm from it....vastly outperforming the Noctua.

You need to go to Vapor's fan test and READ!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171661

But here's his appraisal of the original Noctua:

I have always been harsh on this fan. Although it continues to do well in the open air and even with it's awesome low-pitched barely-there noise profile, I will continue to be hard on it. Open air rarely happens....even a fan filter or a non-wire fingerguard will hamper this fan horribly. Noctua even recognizes this and has introduced a new line built for radiators/HSFs/real-life. It's a good fan with a very serious design flaw.

nelsoncp21
05-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Well I am kinda stuck now regardless cause I just spent a couple hundred bucks for 8 of these things. I had never heard that they weren't good with rads. I thought the 54cfm rating was accurate. Even with the shroud on the thermochills your saying it will be a problem?

Logos
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Well I am kinda stuck now regardless cause I just spent a couple hundred bucks for 8 of these things. I had never heard that they weren't good with rads. I thought the 54cfm rating was accurate. Even with the shroud on the thermochills your saying it will be a problem?

Wrong! Worry a LOT about the performance issues with them.....they are far from being the best fans on the market, unless your definition of "best" includes no air flow through radiators and paying too much for too little actual performance.

I hate it when people start their post by saying: "wrong!", it's a bit like barking, very unpleasant.

OK that said Nelson, just test your temps. I don't know which Noctuas you got, but I often read very good reviews and tests about them.

F1ZZY
05-21-2008, 05:56 AM
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/02/xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

Logos
05-21-2008, 06:00 AM
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/02/xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

lol I admit it that's funny :D

iboomalot
05-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Lmao