PDA

View Full Version : Sager NP9262 Laptop

malkiewicz
05-16-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/images/products/9262_530x510.jpg

I need a new laptop for work & play so I've been thinking about getting this one... Has anyone used a Sager before - Any thoughts... Thanks.

- Display: 17" Wide Viewing Angles WUXGA LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1200)
- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600 / 8MB L2 Cache, 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB
- Video & Graphics Card: Dual Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory in SLI mode
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition
- Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 X 2048MB
- RAID Storage Options: RAID-0 Storage ( Data Strip - Requires 2nd Hard Disk Drive or both 2nd & 3rd Hard Disk Drives )
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 100GB 7200rpm SATA 150 Hard Drive
- 2nd Hard Disk Drive: 100GB 7200rpm SATA 150 Secondary Hard Disk Drive in RAID configuration
- 3rd Hard Disk Drive: 100GB 7200rpm SATA 150 3rd Hard Disk Drive in RAID configuration
- Optical Drive: 2X BD-R/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Blu-ray Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth Module
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
- TV-Tuner: TV-Tuner with Standard Remote Control
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty with Three-Day Shipping Both Ways Paid
- Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag

mike8913
05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
jesus, judging from the specs it might as well have a separate battery back that be worn on your back

Lestat
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
i dont understand how they can cool those desktop cpu's in a laptop.

Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition

all of that power just flushed down the toilet....

3 freaking hard drives,, wtf,,,

MINIz guy
05-17-2008, 08:03 PM
You might want to swap out those 100GB 7200RPM drives for some bigger 5400RPM drives. Three 7200RPM drives will produce a lot of heat, while the slower ones don't. Also, if you get a large capacity hard drive, the larger data density will make it perform just as well as a smaller capacity 7200RPM drive. With a configuration like that, you get more storage and the same performance for less heat dump. 5400RPM drives may also be cheaper.

malkiewicz
05-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I still really like the Sager Laptop… I’m hoping someone from XS has used this type of laptop before… I would love to know if this thing has any heat issues & if the battery would last more than 15 minutes…
Seems like all the reviews for this product are positive… I like this review “Here (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4222)”

http://www.sagernotebook.com/media/RAID_5_2.jpghttp://www.sagernotebook.com/media/SLI_logo3.jpg

http://www.sagernotebook.com/images/Image/Glossy_NP9262.jpg

malkiewicz
05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
You might want to swap out those 100GB 7200RPM drives for some bigger 5400RPM drives. Three 7200RPM drives will produce a lot of heat, while the slower ones don't. Also, if you get a large capacity hard drive, the larger data density will make it perform just as well as a smaller capacity 7200RPM drive. With a configuration like that, you get more storage and the same performance for less heat dump. 5400RPM drives may also be cheaper.

Thanks... I’ll have to take that into consideration, and it would be cheaper... If only the SSD drives didn’t cost so much… :(

MINIz guy
05-17-2008, 08:35 PM
If you want a lot of user input, go to the Notebook Review forums. I am a member there and spend a lot of time trying to find the perfect laptop for me, and there are many different users with all kinds of laptops there.

I would love to get that laptop you're looking at, but it was atleast $800 over my budget at the time. I got a nice Gateway with a 8800M GTS, too bad these aren't sold in Europe.

malkiewicz
05-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks MINIz guy – I’ll give those forums a try (Do you have any recommendations?)...

I love that the Bios isn’t locked, and this thing is completely upgradable - Unlike Dell, HP ECT…

MINIz guy
05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
What do you mean by recommendations? I'm not the person that would spend $2000 on a computer, so most of my things are on the edge of middle-class parts. If you want to spend that much on a laptop, that Clevo is the way to go. There are other solutions, but those are weaker than that Clevo with CPU selection.

stocius
05-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Suggestion: If you buy that lappie run it plugged with dc adapter in and battery out while gaming or rendering. Those batteries drop like flies, at least my buddies did.

Hazaro
05-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Suggestion: If you buy that lappie run it plugged with dc adapter in and battery out while gaming or rendering. Those batteries drop like flies, at least my buddies did.

It is a portable desktop, lets not fool anyone here. :yepp:

Syngensmyth
05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I have owned Sagers, not this one, but others. The laptops they market have been good in my experience. At any point, they seem to have advanced configs available at lower cost than others. Often you can't even find the high end spec. with any competitor. Sager tech. answers email and does a good job at repair turn around. I've had good luck with them.

If you buy from PowerNotebooks or XoticPC you have another layer of support and can save a couple of bucks.

Yep this baby will be toasty and eat batteries for lunch. I would consider it a plug-in model with short battery backup.

MINIz guy's suggestion about Notebook Review (http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1017) was good. PowerNotebooks and XoticPC guys contribute often and monitor the forum.

Lestat
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
now i could be wrong here in regards to new laptops but it USED TO BE that you NEVER EVER ran the laptop with the battery out while plugged into the wall because the battery still played a part in the electrical control and flow....
and good batteries wont go bad... not for a long time.

maybe your buddies died because he did that.. ????

Syngensmyth
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
There are people on both sides of the battery out to prolong life issue. It seemed to me the evidence (through reading) was more on the side of leaving it in. But we could all argue all day about it and not get anywhere. Some put it in the fridge. Life is too short for all this battery attention, but who asked me. Mine stays in and lives until it dies ... rest it's soul.

malkiewicz
05-19-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm not too concerned about the batteries... I usually plug mine in....

I've decided to getting a Sager :up:… Now I’m waiting to see who gives me the better deal… I found allot of resellers...

Lestat
05-19-2008, 04:24 AM
good for you malk,, those things are just incredible (priced) lol.

becareful though this laptop your getting isn't going to be the carry it around with you on trips.
i took my 17" laptop with me on a business trip... once,, thats all it took... i never took it again.. after all the walking int he airport, security checks, etc,, my shoulder was done, my back hurt, and i just couldnt do it again.

Origin_Unknown
05-19-2008, 04:33 AM
jesus, judging from the specs it might as well have a separate battery back that be worn on your back

:rofl:

NeedMoMegaHurtZ
05-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Are you a bodybuilder? :rofl:

Good luck with your purchase

MINIz guy
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Haha.

It wasn't fun taking my Gateway 17" notebook on a plane flight to Florida too. What was worse was that I just got the laptop a few hours ago and I took all the CD's to clean install Vista plus a few game CD's I wanted to load up. My laptop bag was full, and I had a horrible time walking with it.

This summer, I will take it to my trip to China though. I really don't mind it now that all I need will be the powered adapter and the laptop itself. Much more easier to carry.

zfactor
05-20-2008, 06:55 AM
i own 2 sager's... you will love that one. depending on how bad you need the sli setup you could be better off with the 5793 instead. its lighter smaller in size has a much smaller power brick and still comes with a 8800gtx. i own one with a x9000 and a 8800gtx and i get over 10k in 3dmark06 and can still oc the x9000 another 400mhz i could prob get to just over 1100k or so with that.. i bought from xotic myself but i can tell you that pcmicroworks has a killer deal on these two models right now they just are not "sager" they are the same clevo notebooks though (9262 = 901c and 5793 = 570ru-u). depends on how bad you need sli and more than one drive. i personally have a single 320b hdd and will be going to a 500gb when they are more available.

Circaflex
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
now i could be wrong here in regards to new laptops but it USED TO BE that you NEVER EVER ran the laptop with the battery out while plugged into the wall because the battery still played a part in the electrical control and flow....
and good batteries wont go bad... not for a long time.

maybe your buddies died because he did that.. ????

times have changed, it is now recommended to run it without the battery if your going to be plugged in for a long period of time, battery's lose their charge after a period of time, its an easy way to keep them fresh.

malkiewicz
05-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the info and helpful tips everyone... I'm really going to enjoy my new purchase... I’ve been traveling allot lately, and I miss having the power of a desktop…

Tachyonburn
06-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I have one of these. Just got it recently. The specs are below in my signature.
For anyone else thinking about getting this particular Sager, here is some info.

FAN FREAKING TASTIC!
Even with Vista (which until this I believed to be the bane of operating systems.
It's true, it's not really a laptop, but more of a portable home entertainment system. It you plan to use it for gaming the SLI is great. If you don't plan to use it for gaiming, simply turn off the SLI option and BAM, run dual monitors. This is honestly the nicest system I've ever had, and that's saying something coming from a Mac fan boy.

The only complain I have about it is remote control. Since I got the internal TV tuner, it comes with 2 remote controls. The little one for Windows Media Center stores in the expansion slot and works great, but it has a little USB receiver so take care not to lose that. The only minor annoyance is, It comes with a second remote (presumably the "standard" remote for the TV tuner) that seems to be absolutely useless. If you try to use it, you'll see the little USB receiver blink, but nothing happens. I haven't found a way to configure it at all, and there isn't anything about it in the manual. it does however use and come with the same type of battery that the MCE remote uses, so if nothing else, it's a spare battery holder. The other thing is the speakers. They are fine for personal use, but predictably for a portable machine, they don't get very loud so external speakers for showing off or headphones for personal use are recomended if you're gonna be in a more than talk noisy area.

It does get warm. Quite warm in the back. It's probably best to get and use a laptop cooler with it, but I have been using it without one since I got it 2 weeks ago. It does have solid non adjustable legs ont he back for airflow to the vents in the bottom, so if you're not going to use a laptop cooler with it, make sure it's setting on a hard surface with plent of open area for air flow.

For games... It's great! I've been trying it with some of the classics like Counter Strike Source, Battlefield 2, UT2004 as well as newer more intense games like UT3 and Crysis. Runs them all like a walk in the park, tho even with this sweet machine, you don't wanna run Crysis are max resolution if you're gonna run the other settings on high. The next res or 2 down works great tho.

That's it for now. If I find anything now to add here I will.

cirthix
06-28-2008, 07:41 PM
that's not a laptop, it's a sff with an attached screen imo.

DrRockalopoulos
06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
man, ~1996 i kept a sager laptop ad in my wallet.. so i could show people what i was talking about when i spouted the new hotness.

this thing is crazy. so crazy it might even work..
glad to see them still making things that are rad. good luck with it!